• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Princess Mononoke (movie).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Princess Mononoke (movie)

Source: Original (by Hayao Miyazaki)

Demographic: Everyone

Animation Studio: Studio Ghibli

Genres: action, adventure, drama, fantasy

Themes: animism, anthropomorphs, demons, environmentalism, epic, factions, forests, gods, gore, historical, magical creatures, monsters, Muromachi era, Shintoism, spirits, war

Plot Summary: While fighting to save his village from the attack of a demon-god, Ashitaka comes in contact with it and is inflicted with a deadly curse. In his search for a cure he is forced to leave his village forever and journey to the forest inhabited by animal gods. There, he finds himself in the middle of a war between the forest gods and a village led by Lady Eboshi.

Air Date & Platform:
July 12, 1997 (Saturday)
Available on: HBO Max

Episode Count / Runtime: 133 minutes
----------------------------------

[Index Pending]

This was my first viewing all the way through, instead of the five random minutes I don't even remember from 20-ish years ago. And holy crap, that was epic!

Since Kiki's, Miyazaki has definitely matured his content starting with Porco, and obviously this. My next Ghibli-movie-a-day will be Spirited Away, tonight. Although, I'm baffled how that can be even better! But I can't wait to eventually re-visit this one for a full review. There's so much to read into compared to his previous works.

I had mentioned to my friends that through the first six Ghibli titles I watched (Nausicaa, Laputa, Fireflies, Totoro, Kiki's, and Yesterday), the two Takahata films were my favorite, thus far, because he took a more mature and grounded approach to his content. But man, Porco and Mononoke were definitely steps up for Miyazaki. Looks like the projects from the middle of his résumé are transcendent over his earlier ones. Great for him!

Here's hoping Spirited and Howl's don't disappoint.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1