• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ponyo [on the Cliff by the Sea] (movie).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:27 pm Reply with quote

Ponyo [on the Cliff by the Sea] (movie)

Source: Mixed (loosely based on "The Little Mermaid" by Hans Christian Andersen, but mostly original by Hayao Miyazaki)

Demographic: Everyone

Animation Studio: Studio Ghibli

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy

Themes: apocalyptic, childcare, demi-humans, disaster, fish, mermaids, transformations, water

Plot Summary: A young boy, Sōsuke, befriends a strange looking goldfish whom he names Ponyo. Unbeknownst to Sōsuke, Ponyo is a magic fish who has decided that she wants to live with Sōsuke and the other humans. Unfortunately, Ponyo's decision to give up her underwater life creates a crack in an ancient magic spell, and places the world in danger. Together, Sōsuke and Ponyo must set things right.

Air Date & Platform:
July 19, 2008 (Saturday)
Available on: HBO Max

Episode Count / Runtime: 101 minutes
----------------------------------

I feel like there's a bit of a pattern in Miyazaki's filmography. His first film (Lupin) was for himself, the next slew (Nausicaä, Laputa, Totoro, and Kiki's) were more for kids. The next three (Mononoke, Spirited, and Howl's) were more for adults. While Ponyo and Wind will be one for each demographic. And, Heron will be the last, presumably for himself.

Ponyo was pretty fun, though. I feel like it was a combination of energy from his early works combined with a story from his middle works. Even though the main characters are five-year-olds, the fact that their relationship was affecting the Apocalypse was quite intriguing. It was a nice throwback to the adventurous nature of something like Totoro, but then had really high stakes like Mononoke, in that the actions of these kids would ultimately affect the environment (i.e. end the world).

The art and animation style was neat. Some parts, especially the waves and water, almost reminded me of Ukiyo-e with how pronounced it looked. I think I read something about the production crew tried to throw in more digital techniques, since the technology had come along much further by that point, but Miyazaki still insisted on as much traditional hand-drawn material as he could, since there are just something you can't do digitally. At any rate, it looked fantastic.

I've got two more Miyazaki films left, Wind and (eventually) Heron. Then I'll move on to watch all of Takahata's, and then the rest of the Ghibli library. I originally wanted to do the whole library chronologically, but by the time I finished Kiki's, I thought Miyazaki was amazing. And I've already gone near 30 years without seeing a single one of his films, so I might as well get those out of the way, first. Hopefully the rest of the catalogue is okay to good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1