• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ocean Waves (movie).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:24 pm Reply with quote

Ocean Waves (movie)

Source: Novel (completed @ 2 volumes, written by Saeko Himuro, illustrated by Katsuya Kondou)

Demographic: Everyone

Animation Studio: Studio Ghibli

Genres: drama, romance

Themes: coming-of-age, love triangle, school

Plot Summary: Ocean Waves is high school love story set in Kochi, Japan. Morisaku Taku and Matsuno Yutaka are best friends when a girl from Tokyo named Muto Rikako transfers to their school. Excluding herself from group activities, she’s eventually labeled a snob. Matsuno has a crush on Rikako, so it’s no surprise that he gets a little jealous when Morisaku and Rikako start spending more time together. The rumors around school get worse, but Morisaku still insists there is nothing between him and Rikako.

Air Date & Platform:
May 5, 1993 (Wednesday)
Available on: HBO Max

Episode Count / Runtime: 72 minutes
----------------------------------

[Index Pending]

I took the last week off from Ghibli movies to catch up on some of this season's shows and to add/tweak some discussion threads with fancier Indexes. But if I can speed-watch two-a-day (got 10 movies left), then I should be all done by the weekend and can start (slowly) chronologically reviewing their library, next week.

This one was a nice surprise. I've gotten so used to Miyazaki's fantastical adventures, just seeing this simple coming-of-age drama was a bit refreshing. I'll admit the 72-minute runtime felt a bit short. Although, for a bunch of lower-leveled production crew working on it, not bad at all. It's like a lesser version of Only Yesterday, but with more focus on city, rather than country, life. Nothing in particular about the characters really captured my attention, aside from the love triangle. I feel like I haven't seen one of those in anime for a good decade.

I think I made a mistake, though, watching the last few episodes of Tanya the Evil, afterwards. The epic-ness of that kinda' pushed Ocean out of my mind. Guess I'll have to pay extra attention on the re-watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1