• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Undead Unluck (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Undead Unluck (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 20 volumes, by Yoshifumi Tozuka)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: David Production

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, supernatural

Themes: ecchi, gore, superhumans, superpowers

Plot Summary: Fūko Izumo is known as a woman cursed with "Unluck." Fūko brings misfortune to anyone who touches her and the scale is proportional to how long they had physical contact. She's saved by Andy, a man who cannot die ("Undead").

He hopes to figure out a way to use Fūko's misfortune to finally bring him death. The unlikely pair team up to complete missions given to them by the Book of Revelations, but if they or any of the other negators in their union fail, the book can punish humanity.

Air Date & Platform:
October 6, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: Hulu

Episode Count / Runtime: 24 episodes
----------------------------------

Will give this a shot, just because David Production has done such a great job with JoJo's.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:29 pm; edited 4 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Premise seems intriguing, but of course, it's all about the execution. It's on deck.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Couple of the year? Maybe... maybe. This, like Under Ninja, is going in the delightfully weird folder for me.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Besides it being weird in a good way it is also lots of zany fun. I imagine the season will offer a lot of over the top fights and all kinds of disasters. Given that there are probably lots of other people with powers I am hoping for lots of chaos.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:14 pm Reply with quote

I don't know what I was watching at the start, because the juxtaposition between what turned out to be a novel within a series and a flashback sequence was far too jarring to get my head around to begin with. Once the action switched back to the present day, the premise for this series started making sense.

Shounen Jump property, mixes off-the-wall action, sleaze, over-the-top character design and an outrageous plot into the perfect combination for mindless entertainment for those who click with the combination. The season's strongest entry for "symbiotic relationship", which ends as soon as Andy's immortality comes up against something so extraordinarily unlucky it can't regenerate him like the Blade of the Immortal protagonist. Izumo Fuuko hopefully isn't just in it to show off her top-heavy design which Andy is very keen to enjoy in a most NSFW way.

Not sure if the organization working to contain UMAs like our titular pair is going to make another attempt to capture the pair, or if there's an overarching plot beyond Andy trying (and failing) to exploit misfortune derived from physical contact with Fuuko to finally die permanently.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that key art does not do this show justice. I also don't do trailers, as I feel they give me too much for me to extrapolate from. But the first episode is pretty nuts. It's wacky, gory, and over-the-top. I can see some similarities to JoJo's in terms of mood. Although as bloody as this is, I'd say JoJo's is a thematically darker show, overall. Still, I feel this has potential to be darkly entertaining, depending on how they build the villainy.

VA tidbit: Andy is voiced by Yuuichi Nakamura, who's also doing Gojou in JJK and Dwarf Shaman in Goblin Slayer this season, all of who are pretty different characters. The guy's got some range!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:49 pm Reply with quote

With this episode, some semblance of a main storyline starts to take shape. Andy still wants to die using Fuuko's misfortune in whatever way possible, while she's desperate to keep her virginity from a crazed immortal who invariably ends up nude most of the time because of circumstances. Her proposal makes sense given what little data she has, so Andy has to use his centuries of life experience to find a way to get her to love him enough so that contact with her (not necessarily sexual) is magnified to the extent it can overcome his regeneration and kill him through some absurd instance of extreme misfortune.

In the meantime, the same organization which tried and failed to capture and kill them makes another attempt. Only this time we know what they're called, that there are 10 operatives like them who work in exchange for immunity from pursuit and that thanks to this week's shenanigans the main pair only need to kill one more occupant to secure their places in Union. What's surprising is Andy was under their "care" for five decades until recently and is well-versed in their "denial" abilities. Just as he and Fuuko have 不 in their monikers, so too does each and everyone of the Ten Operatives. Being alive for two centuries means Andy isn't a fool, regardless the speed of his analysis is surprising all the same.

Being a Shounen Jump franchise, I'm expecting more of the standard formula since in other adaptations of works in their stable. Andy's got his own killer move (involving severed body parts of all things) while Fuuko's very existence is a killer move. There's more sleaze and (censored) nudity compared to other magazine works no thanks to Andy, but the action is so outrageously hilarious I'll find a way to overlook Andy's frequent wardrobe destruction eventually.

The ED animation is unusual, as it appears Andy has someone else important to him who should have seen him off beyond the mortal world but failed to do so. Not sure if this adaptation will make it far enough to shed more light on that visual.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:06 am Reply with quote
I love the show for how unpredictable it is, killing of newly introduced characters, changing their goal, anything goes it seems. There was also more crazy action and bit of sleaze, which seems to be the brand for the series.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 02

I'm curious to see where this whole Union thing goes and if there are any additional crazy factions that'll come out of the woodwork. If there are this many superpower'd people, there has to be, at least, more than just the vanilla good and bad guys. Maybe there's the good, the bad, and the rogue-ish? And if they're completing missions from the Book to prevent the Apocalypse, I wonder if the bad guys are purposefully trying to fulfill these prophecies themselves, if any of these events are actually pre-ordained, or if it's all some kind of conspiracy.

The ecchi moments in this are pretty hilarious and add a very unique feel to the show, so I'm looking forward to the different variations of that to infuse occasional crude/dirty humor, here and there.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:43 am Reply with quote

The show isn't complete without at least one instance of outrageous misfortune somehow benefitting our titular pairing, so this week we get to see random underwater volcanic eruptions. Another typically outlandish act of misfortune, but Andy's on to something when he says he's starting to figure out how Fuuko's innate misfortune can be exploited to be the ultimate weapon. She's never really experimented because of how dangerous her ability is, so only someone like him who's got nothing to lose can really help her explore what she could potentially be capable of.

Andy himself has certainly explored the limits of his immortality. Whether it's writing out birthday messages in blood because he has no other means of doing so, using his body parts as improvised explosive projectiles or breaking every bone in his body to ensure Fuuko isn't injured on impact, he seems to have something worked out on the fly whatever the circumstances.

Fuuko meeting Genia: would that count as the former's bad luck manifesting itself again? The meeting went cordially to begin with as Genia already knows who Fuuko is but probably wanted to find out more about the mysterious Japanese girl who has indirectly killed quite a few Union operatives. Despite the friendly interactions over scenery drawing (that must be Lake Baikal in Summer), next week sees Andy attempt to kill the operative who captured and had him imprisoned for over 50 years. Not a good matchup alone as he lost previously, but with Fuuko around perhaps the tables can be turned?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:15 am Reply with quote
Another week of hectic action and goofing, plus a bit more background info on Andy and his previous run ins with the organization. That said, I find the world/setting to most interesting of all. There is something almost artificial feeling to it. The lack of stars and it not being a thing and then there is wherever Gina was earlier in the episode. Something feels very off about the whole thing.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I wonder when they will end the season. There is an obvious points they could go to. Could it be just before spoiler[the Ragnarok arc, or after the Ragnarok arc? That is a very long arc, it depends if this is a one cour or two cour season, maybe they will pull a Black Clover and just a surprise ongoing. This series plot does leave room for filler if they want go that route. ]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:59 am Reply with quote

If viewers can overcome the sleaze factor which permeates the show's penchant for over-the-top action, then there's plenty of visual entertainment to be had as Andy's copious use of blood makes his duels an incredible spectacle to behold.

Geena surprised me: I didn't expect her to fall hard for Andy when she caught him all those years ago. Not only that, he kept her company when he was captive for a decade before bolting. For all his faults, he kept his promise to fight her again and his actions at the end to see her off were classy, at the very least.

Andy's analysis of her abilities was surprisingly adroit. Despite his fighting style, he's got a good eye and nerves of steel to analyse his opponent's skills and probe for weaknesses. He didn't do it all on his own though; without Fuuko to give him that one crucial hint about Geena's speed he wouldn't have figured it out so quickly.

The sleaze this series is becoming infamous for is still hard to shake off though. Yes we know extra physical contact with Fuuko increases the magnitude of misfortune to strike the one in contact, but did she have to go THAT far? I didn't need to know about Geena's powers with respect to her body type either, didn't think it felt necessary as it sounded cheap. Still, it's part of the series and a few episodes of this down the line should make me inured to this sooner or later.

They've done the hard part, so does that mean our titular pair join the organization as the Ten now that they've passed the audition? Or do they have more "interview rounds" before they're admitted?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:58 am Reply with quote

With the formal enrolment of our main pairing into the Union high table, the main storyline begins in earnest. The synopsis for this series refers to the talking Apocalypse book and its quests, which everyone has to earn to gain rewards or suffer extremely serious penalties for non-completion. It's a high pressure job with time pressure in return for immunity from Union persecution, not much of a trade-off but if Fuuko (or Andy) make it to rank one they can at least change things round to improve the lot of UMAs living in peace and not troubling others.

The blacksmith who forged Andy's katana is most likely the suit of armour in the High Table, so at least Andy has somewhere to go in case his unbreakable Katana needs sharpening. Only our main pairing's denials are publicly displayed; if Fuuko and Andy are intending to kill everyone else on the High Table they'll need to figure out those powers and then a way to kill the bearers, which is less likely than just completing the Apocalypse quests and gaining rank to change the direction of the Table.

The main highlight of this episode is Andy FINALLY getting an outfit which won't be instantly destroyed each time he engages in combat. The clothes UMA can't possess Andy the same way it does others because Andy's demands are so outrageous he'll never be satisfied so he can't be possessed. Not exactly the same symbiotic relationship he has with Fuuko, but at least we'll say goodbye to the genital censoring that has been ever present since episode one. The Union emblems are also better off attached to outfits, since the ancillary benefits conferred are ludicrously convenient for getting around during missions.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:41 am Reply with quote
Even for a shonen series Undead is pretty frantic and out there story wise. It was easy to think of Union as the evil guys, yet they are kind of the good guys trying to make the best out of a really bad/unfair situation. Also, killing of the other members of Union does not seem like it will change all that much. Yeah, you can change the rules to make life for the oppressed better, but that god at the other side of the book will impose more rules to make things even worse. Until mr god is out of the picture I do not really see the overall situation changing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3