• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Onimusha (ONA).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:48 am Reply with quote

Onimusha (ONA)

Source: Video Game (developed and published by Capcom)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Sublimation

Genres: action, drama, supernatural

Themes: demons, gore, historical, magical items, monsters, ninja, samurai, Sengoku period, swordplay, youkai, zombies

Plot Summary: Pending

Air Date & Platform:
November 2, 2023 (Thursday)
Available on: Netflix

Episode Count / Runtime: 8 episodes
----------------------------------

Any fans of the games? The series was essentially a Sengoku version of Resident Evil. Although, I'd say the action in these was way more intuitive since it's melee-style combat, as opposed to the firearms and running-past-stuff mechanics of RE. There is currently a remaster of the first game for PS4, XBOne, and NS, and I wish they'd remaster/remake 2 and 3, as well, but I think the Nioh series pretty much covers the same kind of genre, at this point.

For those not familiar, the basic premise of this franchise is that some famous samurai/swordsman (Akechi Samanosuke in the 1st and 3rd games, Yagyuu Juubei in the 2nd) inherits this magical gauntlet passed down from a clan of ogres who swore an oath and duty to battle demons, and the hero must use said gauntlet to collect souls of demons to upgrade skills and weapons, then eventually defeat the main villain (and his minions) who is trying to unleash, fuse with, or otherwise use demonic powers to destroy/rule Earth realm. There is also a side character (or more, in the case of #2) who helps the main do things, hence the ninja in this anime.

The villain in the first three games was Oda Nobunaga, (go figure, he's pretty much always the bad guy in Sengoku period pieces). And ironically, Oda was voiced by Ohtsuka Akio, who is now playing the hero, Musashi Miyamoto in this anime.

Here's the trailer, for those who want a glimpse.

I'm not usually a fan of full 3DCG animation, unless it's completely over-the-top and actually well-done like Batman Ninja. But with something as atrocious as the Ex-Arm anime being out there, I don't think anything can be worse. So hopefully, the production in this will flow well with other things like story and music giving it more context.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:56 pm Reply with quote
The hero swordsman lead in these kind of shows is never a cheery, happy-go-lucky sort, is he? In any case, Tony's pitch ... "...a Sengoku version of Resident Evil..." has me intrigued. I'll try this out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1