• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Firefighter Daigo: Rescuer in Orange (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I still like the premise and the character outlines, and it's not like I found it painful to watch the show or anything, but the second episode is still keeping it about as basic as it gets, to the point where I was like "Huh? It's over already?" Two of the three main characters seem like cardboard cutouts with "gud firefiter" scrawled on top of them in crayon. No humor. No real personal insights. No standout art or animation. Just a few cryptic comments, a lot of earnestness, and shotgun blasts of training tidbits. Like the first episode, basically. But maybe the events of this week will break the ice in week three..
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Ep 2
Gisan Otaku wrote:
I am hoping that the next line Daigo says is "we are team mates".

Ha, the exact opposite. And he's right, I wouldn't trust him with my life either.

I get wanting to prove yourself, but going into a rescue simulation thinking "I have to beat him!" isn't the mindset I want my rescuers to have. Smile
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Gina, I have to agree with you. Shun definitely has the wrong mindset going into a live fire training exercise. Firefighters have been killed in such training, that's why here in the U.S. departments should be following NFPA standards when doing live fire training. As a safety officer, if I heard one of my firefighters say such a thing, they wouldn't be able to sit down for a week after the a$$ chewing I would give them. Also, taking off your mask inside a super hot and deadly atmosphere is a sure way to get yourself killed. Even at floor level, it could be over 300 degrees Fahrenheit with very little oxygen and lots of carbon monoxide. In other words, hot enough to burn your lungs and face and nothing to breathe. I can see why they are teaching searching by hand, but nowadays there are thermal imaging cameras that are small enough and cheap enough for them to use. Not a bad idea to teach the basics first then move up afterwards.

I do like the realism inside the training tower. Good job showing how hard it is to do interior fire attack along with a primary search. The twist thrown at them by the Sargent is a very realistic situation. I have seen a very poorly built front porch detach and collapse blocking the front door but not crushing the hose. In that case the firefighters used a first floor front window to escape.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:30 pm Reply with quote
This show is intense! I was confident the present-day stuff would be thrilling, but even these training flashbacks are tough and grueling. At this point, I'm enjoying it more so for how it highlights the difficulty of being a firefighter, which is giving me a whole new level of respect for the profession. Not only do they have to put out fires, but they might occasionally have to carry a really heavy person out of that fire, while also not passing out and burning to death themselves!

I'm sure we'll get some character development, at some point: Toake eventually having his secret revealed, Nakamura's motivations, as I'm sure it's extra rare for Japanese women to wanna' be, let alone get accepted, as a firefighter, and hopefully Onoda will stop being such a try-hard. But yeah, I personally feel its shaping up to be a very unique and compelling title, thus far.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it is grueling, it is easy to understand now why so few people succeed. That said, seeing that excercise, it makes perfect sense why their training is so hard, it is all to prepare them for the hell that is to come. Trying to go up some stairs while carrying a person in a smoking/burning building with no air is a fools errand though, no matter how tough you are, you need oxygen.

As for Onoda being a try hard, it is giving him extra motivation to keep pushing in difficult moments, so it does not seem all bad. On a sidenote, 6 minutes worth of recap and intro is a tad much.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:04 am Reply with quote
And that was the third episode and the final one of the training arc. The simulation had a rather exciting ending and all three of the mc's passed the test. There was also time for a bit of laughter and calming down, including a reminder that the instructors are so harsh because they have to be, not want to be.

As for what happens afterwards, I kind of thought they would all go right off to join a squad, but it seems that things do not usually work like that with open spots being very coveted. Daigo got to join right away, Shun had to wait half a year and Yuki is still waiting. As for the romance subplot, wanting to be a firefighter in order to date someone is a thing I guess?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:07 am Reply with quote
You know, as exciting as the 4th episode was, I do have to say something about two things. Going into a burning building to save some thirty year old sauce is stupid, really stupid, though I can still look past that one. A firefigther dislocating his shoulder to crawl beneath a big piece of concrete and trying to save a full grown adult with one working arm is something else.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:04 pm Reply with quote
You would not believe some of things that people went back into a burning building after they got out. So unfortunately I am not surprised about that.

Yes, that is a very difficult rescue. Since to lift that pillar you have to transfer its weight that is spread out on that failing floor on to a device (air bag, jack) that now puts more pounds per square inch in one spot versus the whole floor. You run the risk of the floor giving away. Also, have they confirmed whether this is a rescue or a recovery? This will sound very callous, but if it is a recovery, it might be better to pull out and wait for the building to finish collapsing. If this is a rescue, keep a close eye on the entire building, but try your best to get him out. I have cut through steel rebar, it is not easy. There is a lot of heat generated if you are using a saw (reciprocating or circular). If you use the hydraulic cutters, you run the risk of the bar rotating while being cut. That is if you have cutters strong enough to even cut the bar. I would hope that in this situation, the rescue officer would recommend to the incident commander to call for the building collapse rescue squad for more people and technical assistance.

As for someone dislocating their shoulder on purpose, that is dumb. I have been on EMS calls when their was a patient with a dislocated shoulder. They were in a lot of pain and that arm was useless. That point crossed the line into unbelievabity.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Gisan Otaku wrote:
Also, have they confirmed whether this is a rescue or a recovery? This will sound very callous, but if it is a recovery, it might be better to pull out and wait for the building to finish collapsing. If this is a rescue, keep a close eye on the entire building, but try your best to get him out.

I'm pretty sure that they confirmed that it's a rescue and not just a recovery. I would think that if the person was already dead, the rescuers most likely wouldn't be talking to him like he was alive, though I do admit that I could be wrong.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:30 am Reply with quote
Man, I do not intend to come here every week just to bitch about the episode and things in it I found stupid, but here we are. Episode 5 concluded the rescue of the ramen shop owner burried beneath the rubble. It was exciting, yet I have some comments to make.

First of all, dislocating your should for a rescue seems stupid, setting it right again beneath the rubble by bashing into it....not any smarter.

Communication seems like an important thing during a rescue, So staying silent for minutes on end beneath the rubble thinking about something seems unwise. mentioning that the wall is about to cave in on all of them seems like something you might want to do too.

Also, would it not be handy to have at least one person stay focused on the building you are currently in which is slowly crumbling down instead of all focusing on Daigo?
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Smurky turkey, I have to agree with you on all your points. But I also do have to point out that this is fictional entertainment and not a training film. This was a saying I heard every week from my dad as we watched Emergency every Saturday night. Yes, I am a 3rd generation firefighter. I found out real quick what he meant when I started taking the basic firefighting course.

Anyway, back on topic. As a retired Safety Officer, I can tell you that you should have at least one safety officer outside advising the incident commander and in this case one inside advising the rescue officer, too. Now in a case like this building I would have at least 2 safety officers watching the outside on opposite side of the building so you watch all the walls that aren't attached to another building. Also, you need to set up a collapse zone on the outside that is at least the height of the building plus one-third in case the outside walls fall outward. No one goes into this collapse zone without a really good reason. If you and your team are taking a break or waiting for your next assignment, do it away from the building.

Now what I just described is the ideal situation. Does this always happen? No. The biggest reason is the lack of people. Even in the large metropolitan departments (FDNY, Chicago, LAFD, etc....) there is a dramatic lack of people. The volunteer fire service is even worse at having enough people available to do their job without having to call firefighters from many miles away to help.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:18 pm Reply with quote
You are right of course, the anime is not meant to be taken as a training video. On the other hand, things as extreme as in these two episodes do take me a bit out of the experience. I suppose I would want for it not to be too realistic, but realistic enough that it seems mostly plausible. Aka, that there is common sense.

I always appreciate the information and context you provide here. It is interesting to learn a bit more about how things really are. Though, no matter how extreme the lack of people is, I would like to think that it never gets as crazy as some of the things we see in this show.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:06 am Reply with quote
No complaining from me this week, it was the aftermath of the incident and a bit of background on Shun and Daigo. It was nice to see the crew eating at the restaurant and to see that the owner is still very much able to cook very well despite the injury he suffered. I do question if Daigo his drive is not self destructive though, the body can only take so much after all, no matter how much the mind still wants to go.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see someone giving Daigo a chewing out for dislocating his shoulder on purpose.

Interesting to see a mix of shifts in the same department. The two 10 hour day shifts followed by two 14 hour night shifts then having 4 days off is how it's done in FDNY and a lot of other places. Other cities do the same as Shun and Daigo with the 24 hours on then 48 hours off. It all depends on what the union and the city agree to. I personally like the 24 on 48 off, especially if you're at a station that doesn't get a lot of calls in the middle of the night. That way you are not taking a nap for the first part of your first day off.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I can only imagine how broken you would be if you had a bad shift/lots of emergencies with almost no time to sleep for 24 hours.

As for the episode of this week, it clarified the past of Yuki and it does explain a few things that happened earlier in the season. Shun also had some soul searching to do since his past actions did not mix all that well with Yuki's past and what she is/was going through. Yuki was saved due to the dude stopping the interview, I imagine saying you would have killed someone live on tv might not be the best for your carreer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5