• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Firefighter Daigo: Rescuer in Orange (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:03 pm Reply with quote

Firefighter Daigo: Rescuer in Orange (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 20 volumes, by Masahito Soda)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Brain's Base

Genres: drama, thriller

Themes: emergency responders, firefighters

Plot Summary: The story of how three young firefighters destined to save Japan grow in spirit. Daigo Toake burns with remarkable talent and unparalleled determination. Shun Onoda struggles against the walls blocking his own path. Yuki Nakamura hopes to become one of the few female members of the special rescue corps known as "Orange."

When these three young firefighters who share the goal of becoming members of Orange come together, the story of how Japan will one day be saved begins... and what looms before them is a crisis that endangers the entire country.

Air Date & Platform:
September 30, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 23 episodes
----------------------------------

You don't see a lot of anime about emergency responders, so I'm interested to see how this gets handled. Hopefully it's more positive with them saving people and putting out fires than not. I think this has a lot of potential to be very shounen-esque, in a good way.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I am curious as to how three firefighters will save all of Japan... not to mention a show about firefighters is likely to be pretty cool.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I just hope that it stays fairly realistic, all the firefighter anime that I know are anything but.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:41 am Reply with quote
Well, the first episode sure felt realistic, though I do wonder what caused such a huge disaster to happen in the first bit of the episode (meteors?). It also showed how grueling the training is rather well, it makes sense that only a very select few make it into the squad. You really gotta want it to be able to keep handling that kind of training.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:52 am Reply with quote
Considering the size of Tokyo, it's not surprising they have the biggest fire department in the world. Anyway, I wasn't all that engaged by this first episode, I have to say. I get why you'd open with an action scene but for me there's no stakes because I don't know these characters. And frankly, I found the idea of Daigo lifting up survivors faces to be kind of stupid. There's still an emergency going on so get to it instead of taking time to do this dopey face raising.

Naturally, I'm most interested in Yuki, the female firefighter, so naturally she's the one who gets the least focus, thank you very effing much. Hellish training, yada yada yada.

Don't get me wrong, I'll stick with this and I expect I'll get more engaged but the first episode did not make me a superfan, that's for sure.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:57 am Reply with quote
Heh. I wondered how many fires there could be too, or how much time firemen spend sitting around the firehouse in general.

I thought the show was pretty basic. Solid enough that there weren't a lot of red flags or trainwreck crossing signs. I was willing to like the characters and get into the show when it started, and I still am.

The animation cut a lot of corners, but it did it in a way that made it less intrusive. That's not a still frame, it's an unconscious person. That shaking bucket's not a clumsy image superimposed over the art...the rest of the world is still to isolate the bucket for artistic purposes. Quick, obscure the background with a lot of smoke, etc. But at least they made the effort to disguise it, unlike a lot of shows with the same production values, and If it means the scenes that count don't embarrass themselves, I don't mind.

There was corner cutting where characterization was concerned too, padding out those moments with information about fire fighting in Japan instead of interaction until the very end. But the information was relevant and at least sort of interesting, and everyone likes a basic training story from time to time.

So, yeah, I'll watch episode two and hope it....ummm....catches fire, I guess.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:06 pm Reply with quote
As a recently retired firefighter/haz mat tech with 45 years on the job, I can see that the creators of this show did their homework. Yes, it is tough just to get through the basic firefighting training, but rescue company training is really tough and they did a good job giving you that impression. Remember, you are helping people who are probably in the worst situation in their lives and they are expecting you to make things better, so you had better bring your A+ game.

I am looking forward to how this series plays out and to what caused such devastation to Tokyo since WWII.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:54 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Well, the first episode sure felt realistic, though I do wonder what caused such a huge disaster to happen in the first bit of the episode (meteors?). It also showed how grueling the training is rather well, it makes sense that only a very select few make it into the squad. You really gotta want it to be able to keep handling that kind of training.

I'm guessing that the massive number of fires in the opening scene along with what seems like meteors is probably from Mt Fuji erupting since it is still classified as an active volcano. During my visit to Hakone on my 2019 Japan trip, they had the Hakone Ropeway closed down due to seismic activity in the areas around Mt Fuji.

To me the bigger question was how there somehow were survivors in the collapsed lower observation deck of Tokyo Skytree considering that that would be an 1100 foot drop. Realistically, the whole thing should have been flattened since there is still the rest of the tower, another 900 feet or so left of structure.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I think some of the impressions of the guide are being a tad harsh on this one since it truly stands out from most seasons due to the realism and firefighting as the premise of the show. Feel like there should be more support for shows like this. Yeah it got a little slow in the second half, but at least it's not another bogstandard isekai or some mediocre harem anime.

Whatever faults this show may have, the uniqueness is what makes it stand out. We even get young adults who look like adults. Heavens forbid we get adults that look like adults for once in anime.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:41 pm Reply with quote
While I do agree, I think that anime that have an adult cast and a realistic premise just have a more niche audience in general. Like it or not, but certain genre just attract a lot more attention than others.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:46 pm Reply with quote
A show still has to stand on its own merits. For me, the initial episode just didn't do much to whip up a ton of instant interest, although I did like at the end when Daigo said, "We're not friends." As I also said, I do expect this title to pick up steam for me but the first episode was underwhelming, imo.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I mean, with how many shows are coming out this season, this one actually does stand out. Sorry it wasn't Fire Force or had some moe anime girl to keep y'all glued to the screen. Feels like people should start diversifying their viewing experiences.

We should be lifting up shows like this even with its faults, because we need more stuff like this and less the multimedia projects and isekai slop that can't be bothered to be interesting. Or at the very least, be more vocal about shows that stand out I guess. I agree with some of the criticisms of the first episode, but at least its willing to be different and that's way more interesting than just...whatever idol and isekai loaf we are given.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I am hoping that the next line Daigo says is "we are team mates". For in that job you have to be closer than just friends. You need to know what everyone one your team is thinking and have complete trust in them because your lives depend on it.

Yes, it is nice to see an adult show with people acting like adults. Not every show needs to be a 15 year old boy in a fantasy world.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:44 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
I mean, with how many shows are coming out this season, this one actually does stand out. Sorry it wasn't Fire Force or had some moe anime girl to keep y'all glued to the screen. Feels like people should start diversifying their viewing experiences.

Sure, of course, because if you weren't captivated by the first episode this show, it follows that it has to be because there was no moe anime girl. Laughing It's your prerogative if you want to get all gooey over a show just because it avoids certain tropes or elements you don't like, but my preference is to watch something and form on opinion on what is there are opposed to what is not. So no, a realistic firefighter drama gets zero points from me simply because it avoided having a moe anime girl. Eh, different strokes for different folks.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:53 am Reply with quote
I kind of get the frustration a bit though. Certain genre get a lot more attention than others and it can be a bit frustrating to see a mediocre to trash isekai get tons of attention despite its quality and a show that does something unique or rare go by mostly unnoticed. On the other hand, you can't force yourself to like something, even if it is a rare concept with a cast/setting that does not show up all that often.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5