• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Firefighter Daigo: Rescuer in Orange (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:48 am Reply with quote
The padding-by-long-still-frames was completely out of control in this episode. William Shatner only dreams of dragging out sentences to that extreme! That plus all the no-dialog static shots made this episode at least twice as long as its content warranted.

So Yuki was saved by Daigo's father then? And Shun became a firefighter because Yuki was cute in high school. So Daigo's dad is responsible for half the personnel in the TFD being there. Very Happy

And Yuki was the first woman to pass and the youngest person to ever pass...and they stick her behind a desk. Sounds about right. Sad Is the mysterious section M a squad of firefighting secret agents or what. Why would she have to cut off all her ties with friends and colleagues?

This series is weird.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:15 am Reply with quote
Well, if I remember correctly, Daigo chose his new name when he was adopted by his aunt. I assume that he chose the name after seeing/hearing of Daigo the famous firefighter, so I do not think it was his father.

As for the dragging out, yeah, Yuki her speech had so many drawn out static shots that it felt like she was having an error or a stroke.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:20 am Reply with quote
But it wasn't at all clear why he was picking a new name, i.e., why was his aunt adopting him? I got the feeling that he adamantly was keeping his father's name. There's also the issue of what exactly he didn't want his superior to tell anybody. I assumed that was his relationship to Daigo Sr.

But yeah, I guess I've made a lot of assumptions! The way this whole series drags things out, I guess I have a lot of time to mentally finish people's sentences for them, and when they never do, my version sticks. Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:28 am Reply with quote
I agree that it would make sense. Keeping his father's name if he is the legendary firefighter and him not wanting others to know. Though when taken together it becomes a bit of a contradiction, since people hearing his name will surely wonder if there is a relation. Maybe Daigo is a relatively common name not making it an issue.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:05 am Reply with quote
Some people in the discussion thread on Crunchyroll brought up the idea that Daigo may be the son of the CEO of the hotel that caught fire instead of being the son of the heroic firefighter. It certainly would make sense considering that the controversy surrounding the hotel and its CEO would be more of a reason for Daigo changing both his family and given names.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:29 am Reply with quote
That would be a fun twist indeed, seems like we are getting some more info on Daigo next week. As for this week, I do not know whether to compliment or criticize Daigo for rushing in to save people all on his own again. His actions got him stuck and without help everyone in the room would drown. Some creative thinking has resulted in a plan to save them, yet it is a race against time.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:18 pm Reply with quote
The first thing I would like to know is whether Daigo was told to search for victims or did he just go "free-lancing"? Did they get info that there were still people inside that building?

Now, as for Shun's idea to use the SCBA (Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus) in place of SCUBA (add Underwater), it has been done, but not to a depth of 30 meters (98 feet). That is too deep for the system to allow you to exhale. The regulators on the two different apparatus work very differently. I have read an article about an SCBA used in rescuing someone from a depth of 12 feet (3.6 meters), but the firefighter said they had a hard time trying to breathe out. BTW, the SCBA manufacturers do NOT recommend you using them underwater. The amount of pressure you get underwater is about 15 pounds per square inch (1 atmosphere) for every 33 feet (10 meters) down. The pressure on your body adds up quickly underwater.

For those that are not used to using the metric system, like me, once I converted their measurements to American, I was able to confirm the math. According to the translation, there was about 2600 gallons of water in that stairwell and the engines were pumping around 264 gallons per minute per truck. That would be the normal flow through that small of a suction hose, so their calculations seem to be within reason.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Seems like they could've found something lying around, like, I dunno, rocks, debris, to weigh down the tarps instead of having to stay down there and hold them, which seems ridiculously ineffective against the number of hands vs the points of leakage. Hell, fire hose is heavy, and presumably they've got plenty of that. Or put the tarps on the back side of the panels. The panels would hold them down and incoming water would push the tarps against the panels.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:12 pm Reply with quote
That was bugging me too. I thought that they should have sandwiched the tarp between two sets of panels. So basically an outside ring of panels, then the tarps, then an inside ring of panels which would keep the tarps in place. Considering they are fighting the weight of the water, a thicker wall would seem to be a better idea anyway. I cannot see what they are trying to do as being sufficiently watertight in the first place.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Gina, that was another point I was going to bring up, but I thought I had talked enough already. I agree with your thought process. Use the SCBA to put something heavy on the tarps then watch from out of the water.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I think it comes down to wanting to create heroic moments, be it for a single firefighter or the team as a whole. In order to make those heroic moments happen the series tends to be less than logical at times. The same can be said about many of Daigo's actions, while heroic in the show, would not fly in the real world.

Like we have discussed before, this anime is not trying to be a learning video or a documentary, it is made to entertain. The majority of it being mostly realistic collides with the parts that are not all that logical.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:16 am Reply with quote
You know, there is a lot I could say about this episode. Daigo's backstory indeed lined up with what some people speculated before and it explains his self destructive drive. Shun also showed some real (suicidal) grit holding on to those sheets while he was slowly drowning to make the rescue possible.

That said, the thing that made me question what I was looking at was Daigo the firefighter molesting a child in order to determine if he has the build to become a firefighter or not. I get him wanting to give the boy something to work towards since he clearly needs it to not succumb under the guilt, yet maybe do that without grabbing him in the crotch? Maybe I am making more out of this than I am supposed to, but the scene seemed not okay.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Just a small FYI, Globe is one of many companies that make protective clothing for emergency services. So no surprise that someone with a fire department has one of their ball caps.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:35 am Reply with quote
It is kind of ironic how in 11 episodes every incident has not been a fire. We have had a collapsed building, flooding and now a giant pit. I guess the first fire will be the enormous disaster that they keep showing bits and pieces of every now and then? The fire in question does indeed seem caused by a volcano.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Why did she ask if it was ok to use a flashlight? And why did they hesitate to reply until she identified herself as a woman? They were all fully dressed, like office ladies, so, what, they wouldn't let a man see them or rescue them?? I guess they can all still get married now. Rolling Eyes

And while it was nice, was it critical to haul 6 liters of water (an extra 13 pounds) up the side of a skyscraper for them? I'm betting there was a water cooler somewhere in the vicinity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5