• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Firefighter Daigo: Rescuer in Orange (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well, it is a major disaster, so maybe they are afraid of men going around looting and raping? As for the flashlight thing, maybe because the office ladies have torn clothing due to debris falling? That is the best I can come up with, because little else makes sense.

I also assume that Yuki got the water nearby, since hauling that around for a long climb would be a tad much.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Lol. Well, unless Boxxy was hanging around on the side of the building, I don't know where she'd find bottled water up there. And rapists and looters generally don't climb the sides of skyscrapers to find what they're after. Kaito Kid might, but otherwise, no. Very Happy
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Yup, it sounds stupid, but any other explanation sounds even more stupid. Such as that it is due to the people you find possibly being in shock/panic, thus trying to stimulate things as little as possible, though that still sounds pretty daft to be honest. A flashlight is not likely to cause a panic and like you said, rapists generally dont climb buildings... so yeah. As for the water, I have got nothing, either she found it somehow or she has been hauling it the entire way up.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:35 am Reply with quote
Well, this week's episode showed that no matter how hard you try, you can never save them all. I do wonder about prioritizing victims though. There is a limited amount of time/firefighters etc during each rescue, one would assume that the attention is focused on saving those still alive or in the best/better condition. Or is it truly not up to the firefighters to make that call and thus each person is equal?
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Now you see what can be the hardest part of the job. They had enough resources to rescue both victims, but were unable to save the woman and her child. Daigo was right about saying that just based on the lack of a pulse at the hand does not mean you don't have a viable patient. The dirt could be causing a blood flow restriction. The captain was right about the load limit on the aerials, but using the retraction between the 2 to create lift was a good idea.

It is calls like this one that really put a lot of mental stress on you after you get back and start to review everything in your head. Someone needs to talk to Shun. What he is doing to himself after they get back in the station only leads to a bad area.I have been on quite a few calls where we did everything humanly possible but were still not able to save everyone. If you can say to yourself that you and your people did what you could with what you had, it helps a little. As I said, now you see how the mental stress occurs. Speaking for myself, there will always be times when I am reminded of a bad call and don't get a lot of sleep that night. Fortunately I have the support of my wife and my department to help with my PTSD.

This is a call that my department would have a Critical Incident Stress Debreifing by our trained people at the station while things are still fresh in their heads. It does help you realize that you are human with faults and limits. No matter what you want to do, you can't save everyone.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:36 am Reply with quote
Hearing your description I hope that the series will do justice to that part of the job by properly showing that they have professional help and systems to help process and accept what they experienced. In many other series about firefighters you way too often see them not paying much attention to the subject and they have the firefighters just shake it off, which does not do the subject any justice.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Ep 13

That was really confusing. Was that mixer happening 10 years after the car rescue and they're still going on about it?? And the dead pregnant woman delivered twins? The doctor certainly didn't look old enough to have gone through med school and become a surgeon, let alone adding at least a decade on top of that. And who were all these newbies? Season 2 cadets? But yeah, Matoi is cute.

Since they felt they had to recap the car rescue once again, that pipe trick still bugs me. It's too long. A pipe that long and narrow would not be able to move oxygen into the car or CO2 out, as there's not enough room to mix over that length, especially since it wouldn't be right at their mouth. I learned this from ninjas asphyxiating underwater with too-long reeds for breathing tubes. Wink
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:42 am Reply with quote
No, I think just the scene with the grownup twins was over ten years later with the mixer being back in the present.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:17 am Reply with quote
Did they bother to tell us we were back in present day for the mixer with all new characters, and I just missed it, as I am wont to do? Cause that would've helped (unless I missed it, in which case, effort wasted on me! Anime dazed )
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:13 am Reply with quote
It was more implied than clearly indicated. That said, the whole mixer thing just felt weird. Lots of awkward stares and silence, lots of flashbacks to something not even an episode before. That said, I am no mixer expert, so maybe mixers are usually that horribly awkward.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:56 am Reply with quote
In recent weeks the firefighters are getting increasingly superhuman. I know that they all train or have trained on a high level, but some of the feats being pulled off are starting to make me do a double take.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I will say this much, in all my years on the job I never saw a horizontal rope rescue between buildings. I did have to do something like we saw our MC's do in training when I was in the military to cross over an obstacle (river, gully, etc....) when it was quicker than going around, but that was just by myself and my combat load.
Now repelling down the side of a building or into a ravine, that I have seen. If you do the hopping repel down the side of the building like you saw, it's not that bad. You are basically just doing one floor at a time. It can be rough on the knees and hips since you are taking all of your weight along with the victims and trying not to crash into the side of the building. It is not the preferred way to take people out of a multistory building, but if you can't use ladders or the interior stairs, it will work. From the looks of that scene, you weren't going to get a ladder or bucket truck in there (even with their tiny trucks) and with the river being so close, you probably couldn't use a ground ladder past the second floor.
What stretches my believability is exactly what everyone was trying to find out at the end of the episode. Who knows Morse Code these days, amongst the other things.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Why is M Company a big secret? And why would they get in trouble for leaking that secret vs rescuing people? I mean, maybe that's not how the brass wanted things to go, but would they rather they just let people die?

Also the braking on the rappel seemed off to me. I've only rappelled once in my life, it was a long time ago and I don't remember exactly how it was set up, but I don't recall smoking gloves being involved. Smile Or gloves at all. Just cutting the rope across my body provided enough friction to stop the descent with no drama.

Please tell me we're not doing another recap disguised as an episode next week.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:51 pm Reply with quote
In the end it all comes down to the reality versus making it look cool issue again. The show tries to appear realistic while simultaneously having certain character perform near super human feats. The result is those feats feeling all the more out of place. Several of the actions that Daigo did in the episode are pretty out there.

As for Company M, I also really hope that helping to save people goes before any plan that the brass may have planned.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Good lord man, indeed another recap episode this week, just 5 episodes after the previous one. We really gotta talk about how the show is with having as little progress as possible while also loving recaps (be it an entire episode or recap sections). The average episode only properly starts after like 4 minutes every week due to a lengthy recap plus the opening. Most episodes also have lots of flashbacks to events in previous episodes and there is plenty of silent staring between characters. As much as I like the show, the pacing can be real bad and it reminds me of the earlier episodes of Naruto Shippuden.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5