• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Onmyouji (ONA).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:38 pm Reply with quote

Onmyouji (ONA)

Source: Short Stories & Novels (ongoing @ 15 & 3 volumes, by Baku Yumemakura)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Marvy Jack

Genres: drama, fantasy, mystery, supernatural

Themes: aristocracy, conspiracy, Heian period, historical, occult, royalty, sorcery, spirits

Plot Summary: Tells the story of renowned onmyouji Abe no Seimei, who meets and befriends the bumbling court noble Minamoto no Hiromasa. Together, they defend Heian capital from an opposing onmyouji, Douman, who is secretly plotting the emperor's demise.

[-MAL]

Air Date & Platform:
November 28, 2023 (Tuesday)
Available on: Netflix

Episode Count / Runtime: 13 epsiodes
----------------------------------

Yeesh, gotta' wait another two months for this. Maybe in the meantime, I can find my old Geneon DVDs of the live-action movies to re-watch and cap/review 'em to get myself hyped. Been a good two decades since I've seen the films, but I remember being very enamored by them. Anything mystical/supernatural has always been a cool thing to me. And heck, with what I know, now, I might like 'em even more!

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:06 am Reply with quote
Abe no Seimei was a remarkable man. I'm looking forward to this even if I have to wait until November.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:40 am Reply with quote
No prior experience to the source material which inspired this adaptation, so went in with zero expectations. Finished the show feeling thoroughly entertained. Is it the most perfect adaptation ever? No, far from it. What is available is visually pleasing and the storyline has themes which should resonate with most viewers one way or another.

What I did like about the adaptation was the effort involved in trying to recreate the Heian period it's supposed to be set in as intricately as possible. Whether it's the archaic language (Anaya!), the court setting with the seated officials and the emperor behind the screen, the heavy influence from the mainland in much of the Onmyouji framework (which makes sense since the local flavour it takes on is much later in time) and the very vivid outfits worn by the main characters and the rest of the ensemble, there's no mistaking this show from later time periods like the Warring States or even the Kamakura period.

The music is quite the mixed bag. Whether it's the heavy guitar riff opening by Ling Toshite Shigure (rewatch the Psycho Pass openings and there's more than a passing resemblance), the much calmer and more lyrical ED song and the heavy emphasis on the solo flute throughout the show, there's a lot to be had from this show in terms of audio. This extends to the voice work; even some of the one-off roles employ heavyweights like Noto Mamiko and the main pair play off each other well in their dialogues.

Some episodes are more entertaining than others, and the main storyline probably isn't engaging enough as the side stories which bookend them I found to be plenty entertaining despite being one-offs, even to the point of overshadowing the main plotline they're supposed to support. Those who've watched previous adaptations or read the source material this adaptation is based on will probably beg to differ, but I'd recommend this as a weekend watch for anyone who's curious and has an afternoon to spare for the binge watch (It's Netflix after all).

Would this have been received better if it wasn't a Netflix exclusive? Not sure, it's not a show with huge mainstream appeal. Like Uncle in Another World, this one isn't going anywhere anytime soon so at least it's staying on the platform for a long time to come.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:36 am Reply with quote
I found the transformation of one of the world's great early scientists into a supernatural detective rather demeaning. For instance, where was the astronomical observation?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1