• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Solo Leveling (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:47 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
3: Newsflash, Jin: "Strength" isn't everything in an RPG, bruh!

I like Korean web novels (and some wuxia novels too) and there are two schools of thought about the whole attributing points to stats thing. Some novels hold to the philosophy that it's better to be a monster at one thing than an all rounder, so the characters habitually pour all of their points into one category, usually strength or speed depending on which build they're going for.

But there are also novels that say not balancing your stats is a recipe for disaster. In one of them, a character almost died because he stupidly poured all of his new points into strength. His heart nearly burst and his muscles ruptured because he didn't have the stamina to deal with being able to pick up a small car. He couldn't handle the sudden bursts of speed that his new leg muscles were propelling him into because he hadn't put any points into agility.

I like this approach.

But I get why Jin is obsessed with strength after years of being known as the weakest hunter.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:07 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 3

Man, this title is the exact opposite of an OP show. In fact, I'm getting Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash vibes from this in that it's taking a "realistic" view of what fighting monsters really would be like. Notice how the three goblins attacked in a co-ordinated way rather than two standing around to helpfully intervene only when one of their number is dispatched? It definitely makes the battles tense. Cool show, bro.

I didn't make a Grimgar connection because most of those scenes are the opposite of this one in a way...they're about 5-6 characters teaming up on 1 or 2 goblins instead of 4 goblins teaming up on 1 character. But I think you're right, other than Goblin Slayer, which has a totally different vibe than either show, it's unusual to see goblins being portrayed as anything other than suck buckets.

But this isn't really the opposite of an OP show. It's just that most OP shows make the character become OP ridiculously fast (or from the starting gate) because they either suck or they're all in on the rush.

Solo Leveling is a great web novel because it focuses on actual development. In that regard it does have a Grimgar vibe, but nowhere near as extreme (and don't get me wrong, I loved Grimgar).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, a large part of the fun is seeing the mc slowly growing over time, in most shows the mc has a ridiculous growth rate and due to that it doesn't feel all that fulfilling. Here Jin may have gotten a second chance and a bit of extra strength, but he is still pretty much an E rank adventurer, a bottom of the barrel fighter.

As for the monsters, I like that they use tactics in order to win. Usually the mc slaughters weaker enemies while most of them just stand there waiting for their deaths. In a few shows monsters use tactics, items and more in order to win and/or survive, which makes the fights a lot more interesting and intense.

The episode also had some interesting world building, I particularly like how the whole gate thing has basically become a common society thing with even a daily dungeon report instead of the weather.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Hoo boy, episode 4 sure went hard, as did the VA for Jin-Woo. An almost all combat episode and while Jin got a fair bit stronger, I would say that what was leveled the most was his mindset. No longer cowering or giving up on himself, but instead going all in with every bit of strength that he has. The voice acting during the fight with mister snek made for a pretty powerful moment when it finally went down. Jin also leveled up his muscles a fair bit.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:40 pm Reply with quote
The animation also levelled up up a bit this episode. That snake fight was pretty lit, but even then, it wasn't brainless. I mean, Jin Woo was pretty brainless for going down into that subway (and BTW, I had an urge to play Fallout 3 or Fallout 4 when I saw that subway dungeon) but the fight wasn't without some strategy...doing a matador move and digging the blade into the corner of the snake's jaw area where the scales weren't as thick, then letting the snake's momentum and weight drive his blade a bit deeper down the armor. Then going for the armor around the throat after if had been weakened several times. It was at least a little bit different then the standard shonen "I'm yelling while attacking you with no strategy but great passion, so that means you have to die now!" moment.

But I have to say, if the reason Jin Woo is destined for greatness is that he went down those subway stairs even though it was dumb move, I wouldn't be a good protagonist. I totally would have been like, "Welp, this is an instance dungeon, so it's not threatening to break out and hurt anyone. I've only got one life (this time, I think) so I'll just call it quits and keep working up the ladder slowly but surely."

Then I probably would have died because I wouldn't have been as strong when I walked out and got wrapped up in that real dungeon outbreak. So unfair.

Also, what was that blue light effect when Jin Woo steeled his resolve? I get the leveling part. But I don't remember that from the book. Not saying it's not there, I just don't remember it.

Anyway, last season, the show that lived up to its hype was Frieren, and this season it's Solo Leveling IMHO.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:07 am Reply with quote
4:

You know what? This episode turned out to be incredibly nostalgic for me, and I'll tell you why.

The first ever RPG I've ever played was Diablo (remember that game?). Yup, the first one in the series. There were only three classes, each with its own strengths and weaknesses, and you level up slowly by defeating weaker enemies and progressing up by defeating harder ones.

You can always bail out of the game with your newly attained abilities and same inventory, and continue fighting weak enemies to progress (slow but safe). Or, you can continue with the current map and see how far you can go (fast but risky).

See, Jin-woo experienced everything I did as a player back then. Do I bail or do I continue? If I bail, am I a pussy or being smart? If I continue, am I being greedy or ambitious? In my experience, I never got to defeat a level boss on my first run (The Butcher always got me). To see Jin-woo fight through something like that on his first map, either the map was generous to feed him enough weaker enemies to level up, or he had a boost (and sure, that "strength" did help, but I don't think it's just that).

A1 Picture's "Attack on Titan" moment and Jin-woo's rant on Talent VS Hard Work made that boss fight particularly memorable. This show is pretty simple in setting, but it's turning out to be a great one.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:14 am Reply with quote
I've never played Diablo 1, but when it comes to RPGs, I'm all about the sniper/stealth builds and survival modes in general. Not the play style Jin-Woo seems to be going for Smile
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Yup, in a world where you have dungeons and said dungeons not having any kind of security, it would make sense to have less than friendly people. To a group like them two low rankers would just be cannon fodder they can use for their own purposes, nobody would find out or be able to prove anything. It was a shady request from the start, since it was too good to be true, but the mc is in a tricky spot where revealing even some of his new abilities would get him in trouble, so stuck at E rank it is.

We also saw that being S rank basically means you are pure destruction given form and that packing some serious muscle means you can clean out the hospital.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:02 am Reply with quote
5:

Yo, Jinwoo got a real glow-up since the previous episode, huh.

I like Jinwoo's thinking process. Publicly recognizing your own Re-awakening and getting ranked up would be great—more money, more fame, basically doors opening up for you—but that also means more attention and public scrutiny. But more importantly, he's aware that he still doesn't know what the hell his new ability is all about, so he knows he should lay low. Better be that formidable foe that nobody knows about, than that admirable hero that everybody knows about. But I have to wonder: has Jinwoo always been this prudent, or does it have something to do with his increased attributes (especially Intellect)?

Gotta give it to Jinwoo again for his guts. He knew that a experienced team without a healer is a red flag, yet he still agrees to tag along. Probably he's thinking that if shit goes down, he would probably be able to grind out a C-rank dungeon. It's a calculated risk that he knew all along before signing the contract.

Just a side thought: a low-rank hunter can still get good equipment if say, he has the money. How much does good equipment from the "real world" help, I wonder. Probably not a game changer, but must amount to something, right?

smurky turkey wrote:
We also saw that being S rank basically means you are pure destruction given form and that packing some serious muscle means you can clean out the hospital.

I find it funny that the show segues to a S-rank hunter just to show off what he can do. "Check out this ex-firefighter" who blows a hole through a concrete block.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:34 am Reply with quote
See, this show is a prime example of why OP shows suck... they just aren't as interesting as something like this where you feel real tension for your protag. Yes, we know he's not gonna die, but the way the story-telling is handled, you feel stakes. So much better than, "yawn, here goes the hero effortlessly winning everything without breaking a sweat." Loving this show!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
See, this show is a prime example of why OP shows suck... they just aren't as interesting as something like this where you feel real tension for your protag.

I think OP stuff works best in a humorous show, like the current 99 level villainess anime or Mob Psycho or One Punch Man, etc. Some dramatic shows can still make it work, but for me, it's usually in spite of the OP thing rather than because of it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:21 pm Reply with quote
For sure. If comedy is the main focus of an OP show it can be a lot of fun. In addition to the titles you cite, I'd add My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Annnnnd that's what the web novels in this genre call playing the pig to eat the tiger. Not that Jin-Woo did it intentionally, but still...that team of killers picked the wrong victim this time.

It's a little somber-fying that the system basically forced Jin-Woo to kill the last few since he could have left them alive. The system was probably looking out for him as sparing them would have probably caused all kinds of problems. The asswipes would have accused Jin Woo of being the aggressor and pointed to his hidden strength as proof that he was one of them there false rankers all along. Then big brother S-rank, the relative of the party leader, would have shown up and started exerting all kinds of political power leverage...

But it can't be comfortable, living with a system that can deliver ultimatums of "Do this or your heart stops." at any moment.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the episode made two things very clear. The first one is that it truly is a dog eat dog world. Monsters are bad enough, but they are far from the only danger out there and forgetting that will come back to bite you. The second thing is that the system is not a charity/gift. The system wants to keep the mc alive and getting stronger for some purpose, it does not like threats to that goal. Leaving any of those guys alive would have indeed meant problems and it seems that the system does not consider that an option.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

I know how you guys think of me. "Oh, that Blood-... so wildly intelligent, so erudite, so filled with wisdom... what a sexy dandy." And you're right. However, in another sense I'm a very simple man. And as a simple man, I absolutely LOVE watching scum-sucking douchebags get what's coming to them. I basically had to change my drawers after that highly satisfying scene. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to return to my habitual hobby of reading classics of ancient literature in their original Greek.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5