• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Solo Leveling (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:21 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Just a side thought: a low-rank hunter can still get good equipment if say, he has the money. How much does good equipment from the "real world" help, I wonder. Probably not a game changer, but must amount to something, right?

6:

Following up with my previous comment, I think there are 2 social commentaries worth noting here:

One: in truth, good gear can only get you so far. But do people actually know that? Perhaps not necessarily. If a gear is that expensive, it must be good, right? Put this in context of society: if a person is attractive, more people tend to find them more competent. Heard of the halo effect?

Two: this is a classic one. Monsters are monsters, but you know they are what they are. But who are the bigger monsters in RL? Humans. They backstab. They pull strings. They scheme. Monsters don't do that (at least the ones in Solo Leveling don't).

The show has side plots, and I wonder why. They have a common theme: they all feature the strongest hunters. It is logical to think that Jinwoo will have to face them someday, but are they all going to end up enemies, or will he find allies among them? Even if not everyone is after him, can he accept this especially after he has subscribed to the "system"? The "system" has given him a second chance, but I think Jinwoo knows that he is now enslaved to it. Everyone in society is enslaved to their permanent ranks, but for Jinwoo, he is free from that slavery but is now in another kind.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:26 am Reply with quote
Welp, on the bright side, the system didn't command Jin-Woo to kill the newbie with the expensive gear even though he's a potential complication.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:47 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Welp, on the bright side, the system didn't command Jin-Woo to kill the newbie with the expensive gear even though he's a potential complication.

Which sounds good, but that also means that the system is rather intelligent.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:26 pm Reply with quote
In many games there is a balance between risk and reward. Sure, you can go jump into that high level dungeon/quest at a low level, but maybe you should grind a bit more in order to reliably be able to get that promised shiny reward. Episode 7 is the perfect example in that there is such a thing as wanting to go too fast and being so underleveled that skill alone won't carry you. Thankfully Jinwoo was not stupid enough to just jump into the castle after barely surviving against the doggo.

Otherwise some solid calm times with the family and seeing other characters doing things.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Welp, on one hand, it seemed incredibly bone-headed for Jin Woo to walk into that dungeon in the first place. But I can sort of see what he was thinking. "Hmmmn...I survived the huge statue that should have killed me. I survived the OP snake that should have killed me. I survived the giant spider that should have killed me. This seems like a remarkably bad idea on the surface, but I'm obviously the protagonist..."
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:17 am Reply with quote
7:

You know, most level-headed gamers would think that Jin Woo was either unhinged or on a power trip when he consciously accepted an S-rank dungeon. As in, him going in with the "I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING" attitude, but maybe not really. He rationally assessed the level of difficulty and backup plan but still went on with it. The benefit of the doubt, I am not sure where his ranking stands currently; if he is B or A right now (which seems pretty fast at this rate), perhaps his assessment makes more sense.

Ballsy? Maybe. Risky? 100 percent.

But now that I think about it, I can understand why he takes his chances. The Elixir of Life as the prize is one thing, but it's the opportunity of getting that prize that seems once in a lifetime. He got it out of pure luck by unlocking a secret quest just when he overdid his daily routine. He could just keep this secret quest for later after leveling up more, but what if this quest is temporal? He knew that getting the 3 ingredients to create the Elixir of Life could wait, but he wasn't sure if he could do the same with this secret quest.

Now you gotta admit: this was a huge payday for his stats.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:35 am Reply with quote
Yah, and another thing to consider is that all those underpowered years of scraping by and barely surviving by hook or by crook against vastly more powerful opponents is coming to Jin Woo's aid here. That quality might even be one of the reasons he made it through the system's original selection test.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:03 am Reply with quote
For my money, Jin Woo is becoming a bit of a dick for the way he treated the D-rank hunter with the fancy equipment. I have no problem with him turning down that guy's offer to team up, but it was the way he did it that rankles me a bit. As somebody who was looked down on himself, you'd think he'd be a little less dismissive than the way he came off. Seems like somebody's getting a little big for his britches, imo.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:41 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
For my money, Jin Woo is becoming a bit of a dick for the way he treated the D-rank hunter with the fancy equipment. I have no problem with him turning down that guy's offer to team up, but it was the way he did it that rankles me a bit. As somebody who was looked down on himself, you'd think he'd be a little less dismissive than the way he came off. Seems like somebody's getting a little big for his britches, imo.

I just have to wonder: is this because of his raised Intellect? The decisions he makes have all been very rational, but the more he levels up, the less he resembles the E-ranked hunter he used to be.

I might even ask, as he increases his Stats, is he even the same person anymore?

Last edited by ACxS on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:56 am Reply with quote
Valid question. In which case, my point is that as his stats increase, he's becoming less likeable for me. Which is a bit of drag because I like to be able to cheer for a protag.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:44 pm Reply with quote
My client (cough) I mean, Jin Woo, isn't necessarily as big a dillhole as all that. He's pretty sensitive to how the power currents work in the hunter community since he's had to navigate them without getting his butt kicked.

Pay-to-Win san is the only witness linking Jin Woo to the death of that hunter party. I'll give Pay-to-Win san credit where credit is due...he didn't try to join the hunter party when they wanted him to kill Jin Woo, and he offered to protect Jin Woo when he thought he was weak. But he's still a trust fund kid. He's still trying to use money to build a guild that he probably doesn't have the actual ability to run, and if Jin Woo took that seemingly generous offer and became Pay-to-Win san's unofficial muscle, other member of the guild he wants to build would start to talk.

Then, people will start wanting to own and pressure Jin Woo, maybe even threatening his family or using their connections to keep him from being able to enter dungeon portals. Who's going to protect him from powerful guilds and hunter associations and S-ranks? A weak, uncertified startup guild?

I think Jin Woo was acting like a hard ass because he wanted to make a clean break and get away from the kid. No, we're not still going to be friends, stop calling me. Please note, that Pay to Win san's immediate reaction was to passive aggressively threaten to reveal Jin Woo's secret despite the fact that Jin Woo saved his life and let him live even though Pay-to-Win san's a dangerous loose end When Pay-to-Win san said, if you do what I want, I'll keep your secrete forever, he was clearly implying that if Jin Woo didn't do what he wanted, he might not keep his secret. Which is a helluva a thing to say to the person who saved your life. And that's exactly the kind of pressure Jin Woo wants to avoid. I'd say, your honor (cough) I mean, anime news network denizens, that Jin Woo's cautious attitude was spot on.

Pay-to-win san's not a bad guy per se, but he's immature and doesn't think things through, and he's used to getting what he wants.

Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:57 pm Reply with quote
(sigh) I suppose running for political office just to outlaw recap episodes isn't a practical scheme....
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:59 pm Reply with quote
We had very few recap episodes this season, but almost all of them thus far have been in the last two or so weeks.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
(sigh) I suppose running for political office just to outlaw recap episodes isn't a practical scheme....

You'd get my vote.

For some reason a thought occurred to me watching the recap that hadn't crossed my mind before: I'm assuming that whatever abilities Hunters have in dungeons, they also have on the outside, right? I thought of that during the scene when that chick healed Jinwoo. Presumably she can heal outside of dungeons too, right? I figure that would be a pretty useful skill. Why bother doing dangerous dungeon raids when you can heal people for muchos dinari in civilian life?
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

For some reason a thought occurred to me watching the recap that hadn't crossed my mind before: I'm assuming that whatever abilities Hunters have in dungeons, they also have on the outside, right? I thought of that during the scene when that chick healed Jinwoo. Presumably she can heal outside of dungeons too, right? I figure that would be a pretty useful skill. Why bother doing dangerous dungeon raids when you can heal people for muchos dinari in civilian life?

I have to say yes. Some of the S-ranked hunters we've seen have displayed their powers in the normal world e.g. Yoon-Ho blowing a hole in a concrete block. I guess she has her reasons... or maybe she can't stand the sight of blood, I dunno.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5