• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chained Soldier (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:07 pm Reply with quote

Chained Soldier (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 15 volumes, written by Takahiro, illustrated by Yohei Takemura)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Seven Arcs

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy

Themes: alternate dimension, ecchi, harem, monsters, sorcery, superpowers, transformations

Plot Summary: Otherworldly spaces known as “demon cities” appeared in various parts of Japan, and those who partook in the “peaches” growing there gained unique abilities—but only if they're girls.

One day, a down-in-the-dumps high school boy named Yuuki Wagura suddenly gets lost at the entrance of a demon city. There, he meets Kyoka Uzen, the beautiful leader of the seven programs of “Magical Defense Corps,” who orders him to become her slave.

Air Date & Platform:
January 4, 2024 (Thursday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

Heard a lot of buzz for the manga, but haven't read it. Guess I'll give the anime a try. Maybe it'll manage to surprise me like Eminence in Shadow, despite the ecchi and harem tags.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Yah, I wasn't really feeling this one. I knew as soon as I saw those cheap CGI monsters that the anime was going to have to compensate by being above average in some other category, and I didn't think it was. A young guy getting taken into a household of female monster fighters in an apocalyptic...wait, wasn't The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy just last season? (I didn't make it very far with that series, and I doubt I'll be watching this one either). Lessee, there are four females. Tsundere. Check.
Loli (shudder) check. Friendly, flirtatious one? Check. Kickass female lead. Yawn.
I mean, check....

I guess the slave/chain thing has a certain level of individuality (shades of Familiar of Zero, Asterisk War....) but if I wanted to watch some pseudo sado titillation, I'd go next door and watch Gushing Over Magical Girls which is more sketchy in its ecchi.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:27 am Reply with quote
I have read most of the manga and I kind of like it, the anime does not do it for me though. The manga consists of ecchi, battles and some story/calm times. The battles take up the majority of the time and that means bad/stiff looking animations and monsters are a real issue. There will be lengthy fights making for episode long battle frenzies and if they look just as the first episode....meh. The ecchi and story are pretty decent, though probably not enough to stick around for.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I've sampled 5 new shows so far and 2 have prominently featured BDSM imagery. Am I detecting a mini-trend? It's not a kink I'm into, but I sort of enjoyed the first episode. As I stated in a different discussion thread, it's obvious I'm being way, way, way more tolerant of shows than I was in the Fall. Perhaps I'm still suffused with the peace, love and joy of the recent festive season? Maybe I'm going insane? Doing too many drugs? Hard to say, hard to say. In any case, this show has not yet convinced me to drop it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1
Yet another BDSM show but this time, the lead woman is based, obviously, ABUNDANTLY, on Ilsa, She-wolf of the SS. OK, I can see why that's...

[episode shows an executive meeting just of women]

... that's....

[next we have a school gathering of just boys comparing their housework capabilities]

... that's....

[and finally, we learn what powers the women, "Peaches", and what powers the men, nothing]

NONE of this is subtle, and I approve of that. Do I have to explain why "Peaches" is a source of power for women or do I have to fill people in on Freud? A BDSM battle harem where only the women get superpowers and the men don't even get to literally sit at the table? I'd say there was absolutely potential here if it wasn't for the loli. As it is, it potentially has potential.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
... Do I have to explain why "Peaches" is a source of power for women or do I have to fill people in on Freud? ...

I'd sort of like your thoughts because being a stand-in for rear ends doesn't seem to fit...I honestly had to research to get that far because I have never heard of it as obtuse as this terminology is. Sometimes a peach is just a (magic) peach...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:26 am Reply with quote
In the anime Pani Poni Dash is the school Momotsuki Academy and its school symbol of a Peach, momo, and a Moon, tsuki. It took me a bit to figure out that the whole name of the school was a joke. Knowledge in one hole, out the other...

So "Moon" is close. I could be cruder... I know examples, from to ecchi to more than ecchi. Let's see, clean... in Kiss X Sis, a girl described hers as a "peach pit". OK, that's more clean.

I'm not going to say exactly to what I'm referring to, mostly because I think this show runs on surface level subtext, but I did think "Well, of course men don't derive power from Peaches, eating them or otherwise! They just don't have it in them!"
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:01 pm Reply with quote
The above exchange is making me feel... dirty. NTTIAWWT.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, any post mentioning Kiss X Sis is something else.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:11 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
...I'm not going to say exactly to what I'm referring to, mostly because I think this show runs on surface level subtext, but I did think "Well, of course men don't derive power from Peaches, eating them or otherwise! They just don't have it in them!"

Thanks, I sincerely appreciate the effort! Sorry Blood-...Yeah, this show is not subtle or "deep" and it occurs to me that the Shuuki are freaked out generic caricatures of men (the face/masks are a clue and a bit of commentary as to the personality) which fits with being able to be temporarily enslaved by the female protag. The setup with Yuuki also reminds me mildly of Love Hina but hopefully they don't go there... Confused
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:50 am Reply with quote
Let's be real here, most shows that have a horny element are anything but subtle. I still distinctly remember Darling in the Franxx and the way the mechs were controlled for example.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, that sure was a typical dorm type episode. We had a few good old cliches such as the male mc being treated rather harshly at the start and one of the girl resorting to blackmail while secretly developing feelings. We also had a tiny bit of combat and worldbuilding, people who are into giant women can be very happy this week.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

It ends with Yuuki's sister easting a Peach which is... yeah. But we don't have to deal with her and that yet because this episode is about Shushu. I'm not familiar with the name, I can't even tell what language it would be but is there anything else that comes to my mind when I think "Shushu"?

Snu-snu. Must be a coincidence. [Yuuki almost gets crushed to death in Shushu's cleavage] Death by Shushu, nope, it doesn't count unless they call it out by name. I'm not a fan of her power controlling nearby things to explain her clothes changing size but if they manage to do some interesting things with it, it may be worth the cop out it is.

Yuuki's secondarily sourced power derives from the combination of their Peaches and his fully erect... let's say Banana. So if his Banana is mushy, he can only half transform. That seems... logical.

I expected that... how should I put it... his transformation would become situational with each girl and the trigger in this scenario would have been Chekov's panties. The set up was there, the execution was as yet unwilling.

Keep it BDSM flavored, you wouldn't want to attract weirdos. Right, that's how that works?

And still I watch the use of the loli warily. I don't see how she fits into this setting, especially as I learn more about what's going on..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:04 am Reply with quote
So it's clear that poor Yuuki isn't just fated to be The Commander's slave but clearly all the chicks are gonna be dominating him. This show is a submissive's wet dream.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:07 am Reply with quote
That is kind of the selling point of the whole series: the guy becoming a slave to pretty girls and lewding them up as a reward for services rendered. There is also saving humanity and the world.....but meh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3