• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Sign of Affection (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:46 am Reply with quote
You know, a sometimes unexpectedly agressive female mc would be a rather interesting take for a shoujo romance.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:19 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure that would be breaking some major Japanese law. I'm not sure that Tomo-chan from Tomo-chan is a Girl! was "unexpectedly" aggressive, but she certainly wasn't your standard, meek shoujo heroine, either. There must be some tsundere shoujo heroines, aren't there? I mean, I can't think of any of the top of my head, but...

Oh, and there was the chick from The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten... sure, she cooked and cleaned for the dude, but she did it with an edge, amirite?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:36 am Reply with quote
Well, after the second episode I consider Yuki to be aggressive and not a meek girl in the sense that she rather quickly made up her mind as to what Itsuomi is to her. She is also clear in her wish to see more of the world and be curious as to all that is out there and experience of it what she can.

This brings me to Oushi the childhood friend who seems to disagree with that aproach. He seems to be the type that would put Yuki in a safe environment/cage even if it means her never seeing more of the world out there or even given the change to try it out. I get what he means with there being additional risks for deaf people, but limiting them due to that is kind of disregarding the person/their wishes and just looking at their handicap/limitation. In shoujo fashion I also assume that he is secretly in love with her (especially given that he learned sign language).

Otherwise lots more cute moments this week.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Okay, are we absolutely sure that patting the head isn't a time honored Japanese ritual of respect?

Anyway, Ouishi officially became Doushi this episode. I'd be aggravated with him, but honestly, I just feel bad for the poor slob. He's obviously the unlucky dope who the anime has singled out to suffer from afar while the leads get increasingly intimate.

Still enjoying this but it might have lost a little steam from the first week.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:10 pm Reply with quote
So the two major dudes in Yuki's life are a head grabbing tool and a dick who wants to shove her in a gilded cage "for her own good" of course. Oh, shojo, why must you do these things to me? Is it too much to hope that both these armpits will be run over by Truck-kun next week and Yuki will actually get to meet a non-psychopath? I can tell this show is gonna be having me reach for the Alka-Seltzer...

Pah, Sign of Affection... Sign of Affliction more like, amirite???
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:37 am Reply with quote
I will say that one is easier to dislike for saying she shouldn't have even gone to college, and just be kept safe. Also questioning if she should be able to call the other girl her friend.

Is it bad that I thought the head pat this time wasn't too bad?

Just a thought, but considering the difficulty of drawing hands, I wonder if there anything for the detail they have to put into the animation.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:21 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I will say that one is easier to dislike for saying she shouldn't have even gone to college, and just be kept safe. Also questioning if she should be able to call the other girl her friend.

Just a thought, but considering the difficulty of drawing hands, I wonder if there anything for the detail they have to put into the animation.

It could be that Ouishi is so unlikeable that Itsuomi and his headpats seem completely fine by comparison. His personal space issues aside, he seems to be the type to support whatever a person chooses for him or herself.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:11 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Yes. Yes, it is. You are a monster. Wink

But actually smurky may be on to something: Oushi is such a dick that Itsuomi's aggressive head pats/tugs seem more benign by comparison. But a pox on both of them, I say.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:57 pm Reply with quote
And here people were complaining that Itsuomi's character lacked flaws. Though, if I have to say, if his head patting is his most serious flaw, it's a fairly minor one that Yuki apparently doesn't seem to mind.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, I personally would indeed like see show more flaws in Itsuomi. What Ouishi showed off is not really a flaw though, it is more his way/viewpoint of defining people by their handicap and what they should or should not do regardless of what that person wants.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Okay, are we absolutely sure that patting the head isn't a time honored Japanese ritual of respect?

It's clearly the "sign of affection" in the title. I thought it was referring to sign language.

A too-perfect male lead and a jealous osananajimi? I'm out.

The best scenes in episode two occurred at the school.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Some appreciation for our lead, Yuki, taking the initiative to message him when she missed seeing Itsuomi, was straight forward in wanting to get closer to him, and asked him if he was in a relationship with the other girl. Itsuomi is also returning some of that interest, and batting away Emma, who he doesn't return some feelings.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah, both are making solid progress and are pretty clear in their communication. No dumb misunderstandings or wishy washy behavior so far. All the characters (besides a certain one) seem like good/solid people too, though Emma might be a question mark for now.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Huh, Ouishi really is a special character, every time I start to feel slightly bad for him due to liking someone who is not into him but someone else he acts like an asshole and instantly makes me not feel anything but disdain for him.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:44 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Huh, Ouishi really is a special character, every time I start to feel slightly bad for him due to liking someone who is not into him but someone else he acts like an asshole and instantly makes me not feel anything but disdain for him.

Yeah, hitting her on the head for not answering all his questions, touching and curling her hair after she made it that day, then laying his head on her and then confronting her when she didn't get off at the stop he thought.

So who had a double date at Costco in their anime bingo?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3