• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hokkaido Gals are Super Adorable! (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Galmom's a real narc
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:16 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, the good old trope of the short haired girl appearing relatively late and being very charming yet have no change at all of ending with the mc.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:16 am Reply with quote
A nice comfy episode this week. I especially like that all the gals are becoming friends. In harem shows of old there was the guy and a lot of girls that did not really interact much with one another besides acting jealous. In many newer shows being a group of friends or even a family comes before the whole romance thing. It is also nice that this show does not fall into the whole jealousy cliche.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:42 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
A nice comfy episode this week. I especially like that all the gals are becoming friends. In harem shows of old there was the guy and a lot of girls that did not really interact much with one another besides acting jealous. In many newer shows being a group of friends or even a family comes before the whole romance thing. It is also nice that this show does not fall into the whole jealousy cliche.

Friends before any harem tropes are preferred here. A lot of harem stuff generally just needs the excuses for all the girls to be around the guy, but I genuinely enjoy these things where they are friends first. But also this show hasn't felt creepy in the girls even being love interests with the main character.

He even had an as said date, and nothing really a problem.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the show has also been very drama free so far. The most drama has been Takayumi complaining about the chocolate he did not receive and this week that whole issue was resolved. Heck, they even had some friendly smelt fishing to bond over and thus the group of friends has been expanded. It is nice to have a harem show without it feeling like there is only one male character in the whole world.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The balance was slightly more tilted towards romance rather than friendship this week. Fuyuki in particular was being rather forward. That said, the thing she wants to talk about during golden week is probably not a confession, her mood/tone did not really feel right for that. She also mentioned multiple times about wanting to spend as much time as possible together, so the I am moving/studying elsewhere trope comes to mind. It could even be more dramatic with her being sick or whatever, yet that seems not fiting for the show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Good call on the studying abroad guess, smurky. Nailed it. I certainly never would have picked Fuyuki as a study abroad type, that's for sure. Are there no educational facilities in Japan dedicated to beauty? Yes, I too would have been shedding tears at the thought of being separated from her burgeoning... personality. I had every intention of watching the finale in any case but now they have doubly ensured I will do so.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:49 am Reply with quote
I expect some kind of turnaround for the final episode, I would be really surprised if the season ends on a massive downer with her moving away for good. Either she will cancel her trip due to a passionate confession (unlikely, it seems too soon far that) or the trip is not what it seems somehow? It just does not seem like a series that would go for a real downer moment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:55 am Reply with quote
I agree with you but even if she does go for a substantial period, it doesn't HAVE to be a massive downer. After all, Dude has a couple of other chickies hanging around and Fuyuki's mom seems pretty frisky, if you catch my drift...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:58 am Reply with quote
As to whether Japan has cosmetology programs, maybe it doesn't have many that would suit a gyaru's taste? She wants to go somewhere where they'll teach her how to decorate her fingernails with all kinds of spangly touches and apply make-up with a fire hose?

I agree that a season 2 wouldn't be the same without the show's resident gyaru first girl, though I'm not sure how the anime is going to get itself out of the narrative corner it's painted itself into either. Maybe the program is just a few months, and if there is a season 2, it will pick up when she comes back? Or maybe at the beginning of the next episode, Tsubasa's vision will suddenly start going blurry, and Fuyuki will say "And that's why I'm taking you with me...."
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, several times during the final episode I was wondering if they were going to pull the ''she is only going for a short time'' due to not naming the duration of her going away. Since that would be such a trope and troll I chose not to believe it and was wrong for it. It is not a bad trope but man did I have the urge to slap my forehead when it was revealed. Kudos to pops for the help though.

Anyway, charming show with a mix of Hokkaido facts, having fun with friends and romance.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Yes, it was a charming show. I was wavering between Decent and Good ratings, but these last two episodes were pretty strong so I'll give it a Good rating. Plus points for the catchy opening.

Also I learned a new Japanese word: Apparently dosanko is a nickname for people from Hokkaido.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:25 am Reply with quote
I both do and don't hope it gets another season. It's not a groundbreaking show by any means, but it's a nice, chill time and I'd like to watch more. However knowing how the next 6 months of story go has me less excited about watching more. Of course, the anime could streamline the story a bit (or a bunch) and it could be good.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:32 am Reply with quote
Yah, this is mostly echoing other sentiments, but I thought the most distinct character on this show was Hokaido itself. It was a pleasant, painless anime with a good heart.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:36 am Reply with quote
I'm giving it a strong Decent. It probably would have gotten a Good from me if it had more drama llama ding dong like when Tits got her feelings hurt over a reaction to her store bought chocolates or the studying abroad thing. I gravitate more to shows that have a bit more narrative ambition unless there is a strong comedic element that engages me. Agree that the setting was a big plus and I adored Minami (see, I do actually know her name).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5