• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hokkaido Gals are Super Adorable! (TV)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, imagine a romcom series skipping all those scenarios, would it not feel weird to not even have a single one of them?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:29 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Well, imagine a romcom series skipping all those scenarios, would it not feel weird to not even have a single one of them?

Not for me. I could comfortably go the rest of my anime career without seeing one of those trope situations and be totally happy. Hell, I could go the rest of my anime career without seeing another school rom-com, frankly, but enacting a voluntary ban would eliminate about 98% of all rom-com titles, including gems like Love is War.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Something tells me you are a big fan of meatloaf... Wink

Hey, meatloaf is good. And this anime right here definitely got some meat in that loaf if ya catch my drift *eyes at Minami*, heheheheeeeeeeee

Uh, I don't know if that even works. Sorry.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Cam0, Cam0, Cam0... remember you're Finnish... making saunas - yes. making humour - no. Wink (I kid, I kid... I'm sure Finnish people are hilarious but I have to go with the dour, Northern stereotype.)
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:49 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
You know, these standardish romcoms are so predictable anyway that I don't mind the overused scenarios. What I kind of like about these average romcoms is the predictability. I'm so familiar with these tropes at this point that they invoke a sort of homely feel. It's nice.

Attempts at sarcasm aside, I feel the same way as long as they're well done. When it's just a soulless going-through-the-motions kind of a thing in an already boring anime, it's hot death. But this episode had a different spin, and this anime has grown on me.

Lessee...since they skipped Christmas and the shrine visits, and they've had the karaoke tip, the seasonal festival and Valentines day, that leaves a hot springs visit, a class field trip, a school festival, a study party, a king's game, and an event where wealthier classmates hunt the poorer students for sport...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:26 am Reply with quote
Yes, that's the key: if you are going to use a stock situation, for the love of God at least come up with a bit of a new spin on it. That's my biggest beef with these "obligatory" events: not only are they repetitive in name, but in dynamic, too. Too many Velentine's Day episodes are just about a dude's anxiety over whether he'll get chocolates or not or about the girl's desire to give a guy chocolates but feeling nervous about doing it and letting chances go by. Too many Christmas Eve episodes are about the trauma of wanting a date to eat fried chicken with and not having one. And if I see one more rich students hunting poorer ones where it turns into a supernatural test of courage in an empty school at night, I'm gonna scream...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:39 am Reply with quote
The question is though, do most romcom watchers actually want a unique twist on said special events to make them feel fresh and unique? I would not at all be surprised if most fans of the genre very much like those cliche tropes.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:59 am Reply with quote
It just comes down to execution. Like last season's Our Dating Story: The Experienced You and The Inexperienced Me was hot garbage in my opinion. Despite "subverting" romcom rulebooks by having the main leads hook up in like the 1st episode, the anime was boring as hell due to its extremely, extremely bland writing. This anime may be playing things more by the books but the execution is more competent even if it's not at the level of Dangers in My Heart. There are a lot of little things that go into what one may consider competent writing, but writing dialogue that flows well, characters that have chemistry and scenes that make you go "aww" is the difficult part.

Last edited by Cam0 on Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:01 am Reply with quote
That could be, smurky. I've also hypothesized in the past that there is an additional reason that Japanese forms of entertainment can be even more formulaic and repetitive than entertainment from other countries. Sure, like producers everywhere, Japanese producers are keen to repeat something that has been successful in the past, but I think there is another consideration at play, as well. I think Japanese creators/producers have a sense that "audience-san" has certain expectations: i.e. certain tropes that are almost obligatory to include and that by not doing so, a creator/producer would almost be being... rude. Probably dangerous for a Westerner like me who has never lived in Japan and doesn't speak the language to make an assumption like that, but there you are.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, another trope is a strict grandma and we sure have one of those in this show. I will admit that the mc seems to be a bit slacking due to all the gall beauty being thrown his way though. As for new girl Rena, she seems like a fun new addition with some interesting quirks. Time to hit the books for everyone I suppose.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Granny is a pain in the fanny, but every time she shows her fangs, the show gets a little more interesting IMHO.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Agreed. But the fact that she thinks the answer to raging teenage male hormones is... a tea ceremony... suggests she may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer. Face it, Baba, ya boy is surrounded by some primo Hokkaido skank and the only way tea is gonna cure his raging boner is if you pour a pot full of the hot stuff over it. I wonder how Boobies and Gamer are going to react to having to share some Shiki time with Rena...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:06 am Reply with quote
The grandma is pretty overly strict, but at the same I guess that I see that she is acting as a balance for keeping drama. In a way kind of surprised it has not gone the whole way that she wants to cut him off from any contact with girls, based on some outdated idea of gender relations, along with not liking the kind of girls they are.

It does feel a bit close to abuse. All things considered, we still don't know much about what life he left behind in Tokyo.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, given the granny's insistence on dressing in traditional style clothing, the old fashioned but expensive house, and her double standard when facing the daughter from a rich family, it may just be that the granny thinks romance ought to be handled the old fashioned way - making sure the heir is pure until the family arranges a marriage.

Maybe they cut the scene where she dosed the tea with saltpeter...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Ugh. Exam episodes. It's not like they give me horrific, traumatic flashbacks to my own (long ago) school days since I generally did well (except for math and French, curse you dreaded subjects) but even to this day my most common anxiety dream is being back in school, exams are here and I haven't studied or been to class at all. The weird thing is I usually understand I've already graduated, yet for some reason I'm back taking courses... yuck.

Anyway, these kinds of episodes don't jolly me up, that's for sure. And Tsuba-chi is in for it now... you don't mess with a gyaru's heart and get away with it unscathed!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5