• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Witch and the Beast (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:46 pm Reply with quote
And so ends the longest arc thus far. The arc had lots of action, world building and flashbacks with in the end a seemingly new member to the team/company. The low budget/animation stinged a lot these last few episodes due to all the action, but to be fair, they have made the most of what they can do and the story/world stays interesting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

I'm happy Helga wasn't kilt. And I hope she does become part of the group. Plus, I hope she gets kissed by somebody other than a grumpy chick.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Only one episode left, I like that the final arc is one of how they met. I also like that Ashaf is kind of weak compared to many of the enemies they face. He is a skilled magician for sure, yet against executioners using relics and witches that does not get you very far alone.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:12 pm Reply with quote
And so ends the final episode, be it a bit on the late side. I really liked the show, the animation was iffy with some particularly bad looking fights yet I liked the characters and the world/setting. The former were amusing and the cases they had to solve were pretty varied and gruesome, most cases were anything but simple kill the evil witch and save the day type affairs. The world was interesting with lots of factions and weird elements. The way the undead were handled was particularly unique (and horrifying) and the multiple underground worlds reveal at the end was quite the surprise.

A second season with a bigger budget would be welcome.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:25 am Reply with quote
Does seem a bit weird to pretty much at the very end to explain what the world is like, the sort of thing that perhaps any random would know, followed by explaining that there is a multi-world thing going on with a vampire place. They decided to pretty much set up a new arc with a Victorian like place with vampires, and I thought the outfit looked pretty sweet too. Makes wanting a sequel much more that it is actually kind of annoying.

The show has certainly been a weird one, I still think in the ways that it sets up witches as big evil, but in a lot of cases we saw witches being victims. We might have thought our main characters worked as witch hunters/executioners, but if anything, that group has come across much eviller. I guess that I presumed that the Order is like the church, the sort of thing that comes to mind is with the Van Helsing movie.

At the end I still feel like I don't know much, which is annoying if there won't be any more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3