• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:23 am Reply with quote
6 bodies: The sage's two friends, the two students that were killed by the Wyvern, the teacher and the bus driver killed earlier make six. We know, now, that magic doesn't work on people Yogiri kill but I'd like to know how it works on others, since the sage thought it would have done something.

Blood- wrote:
Episode 2

I gotta say that the humour of this show is super working for me. And I could be wrong, but I feel the comedy is deliberate as opposed to inadvertent. I loved Yogiri and Tomochika's deadpan discussion over coming up with standards for killing people: "But they got in our way... can't you just wipe them out?" Laughing I liked Yogiri's mostly unsuccessful attempt to incapacitate as opposed to kill. I do have a few questions, though... why did Beastkin Girl and the other dude not die instantly? Why was that guy successfully blinded but not killed?

The eyes are pretty easy to explain as Yogiri killed the eyes; The other two are more interesting as it resembles Ken's "You are already dead" move from Fist of the North Star. So killing which body part allows you to walk away for ten seconds before dying? Heart should instantaneous. Brain? I don't know but I think the sufferer would notice. Lungs would lead to suffocation.

I suspect it's some part of the nervous system, one that's brain adjacent. If they are indeed dead from that...

Episode 2
Why do I have more questions about the Tomochika's morality than any other character's? And the character that looks a bit like Crimson from Ragna Crimson is an immortal vampire who needs the lead character to finally give them death they so desperately want. What are the odds?

The best positive of the series is that the character designs are vividly expressive while remaining only slightly unrealistic. They're also really derivative so I'm constantly thinking "say, isn't that someone else from some other work?" Also, there seems to be designs stretching back to the 90s; It doesn't improve the story but it makes me want to see more of the people shown in the intro.

The biggest problem is the story so far is our two leads chasing after Sage candidates/former classmates... for no reason... while killing Sages on the way... because as Tomochika says, they're in their way.
So if you don't go anywhere... you won't kill anyone?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:35 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, my apologies, Animegomaniac, you were correct on the body count. I had completely forgotten about Teach and Bus Driver.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Good luck keeping track of the body count, you will probably need it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that's one of the aspects I'm enjoying about the show. I love watching a mouthy, arrogant character flap his or her lips and MC just shrugs, says "Die" and that's that. Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:41 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
...So killing which body part allows you to walk away for ten seconds before dying?..If they are indeed dead from that...

Episode 2
Why do I have more questions about the Tomochika's morality than any other character's? ...The biggest problem is the story so far is our two leads chasing after Sage candidates/former classmates... for no reason...

Aortic aneurism is famous for causing guys mainly to drop dead without warning, so I'd say if he were to "kill" a specific part of the ascending aorta that might do it. As for Tomo-chan's morality, it isn't consistent so that would naturally engender questions and I love how Mr. Random calls her out on it and insists on setting standards. I believe Yogiri isn't intent on keeping with the classmates so much as doing so is more likely to bring him into contact again with the Sage who isekai'd them all in the first place and is at least a person who can likely send them back if properly motivated...
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:52 pm Reply with quote
This is just terrible. Uninspired derivitive slop. There is nothing here that works and the fact this show is less fantasy and more whatever the author wanted and or thought would appeal to the biggest basement dweller audience of 12-year-olds is so tiring to see get greenlit.

Like, who needs another power fantasy isekai? Like, seriously, what does this one do better or more interesting than others? Nothing really.

The one hook it has is the whole aspect of how the lead had a death ability even before getting sent into the isekai world and...wow who cares right? Nothing changes, nothing is interesting, and it's just more slop to throw into the through for the gluttonous pigs who can't do better than watch boiler plate mediocre isekai.

Sorry, but this is so tiring to see isekais season after season think this is unique or interesting when it's not. Just had enough of these trashfires that can't or won't do something interesting, creative, or compelling.

Also, why even bother making a world when all you are going to do is make it vaguely European-inspired and then add in Japanese elements and robots because who gives a shit right?

ugh, I shouldn't be this mad, but god dang it this show pissed me off.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have complained about a lot of aspects of the show, I have not dropped it yet though.....so oink oink on my part I suppose?

Seriously though, I get what you mean. Most isekai anime are very generic and do not have a unique hook, but you can still see that they at least tried to create something. In the case of Instant Death it feels like a story that was penned down to be cool while not really bothering with establishing a functioning setting/world. A lot of the things seen in the episodes do not work out at all when you stop to think about it.

But hey, some of us just love rummaging through the trash.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:16 pm Reply with quote
And I get it. I would love to be on the same emotional and vibe wave length to enjoy trash, but after three or so years now of following the seasonal anime drop, I think I have had it and isekai fans need to start being more critical of this genre, because so many of these shows don't bother or offer to do something unique.

If the author just skewed it a bit more as a dark comedy, then that would have been something. Like a Pushing Daisies kind of thing. There is so much slop that you can make fun of or take advantage of and there is just none of that effort or drive to do better here.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Thankfully we still get a fair amount of isekai that do have a creative idea/setting or just present it in an interesting manner, though I will admit that the majority of the seasonal isekai horde are usually very much nothing special (or sometimes just plain bad).

All that said, this season has The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic, Sasaki and Peeps and The Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash, making for a pretty good isekai season in my opinion.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:46 pm Reply with quote
there always seems to be at the very least one or two that can lift up the isekai genre, but it's never consistent enough and I think it's time for authors to just start getting better. Same with the villainess and otome isekai or fantasy anime. we already have too many of them and they all crib from one another.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I am afraid that such is the nature of success and others trying to emulate it. Be it anime, games or even movies, once something has become a huge success others will try to emulate it, though some will go about it less subtle than others.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:36 am Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
...I would love to be on the same emotional and vibe wave length to enjoy trash, but after three or so years now of following the seasonal anime drop, I think I have had it and isekai fans need to start being more critical of this genre, because so many of these shows don't bother or offer to do something unique...

The sad fact/problem here is that the good folks in Japan won't get the hint as long as the streaming services keep picking up the titles and that might not depend so much on the general popularity or if viewers complain. I believe the current state of affairs is due to the fact that some shows become popular enough due to factors that might not be apparent at the onset, so the industry has been putting out as much sh*t as possible and seeing what sticks. As long as people categorize shows into genres, the OK isekai will pull the "slop" along with them into the future. The only way that will change is if people in general really stop watching or boycott watching any and all isekai.

Now, I tend to have a wide tolerance band for anime so I wouldn't say I enjoy shows that are truly "trash" and I'd bet that goes for most of those that Mother's Basement affectionately calls "Trash Connoisseurs". It is rare that a show, however poor, is so bad that I find no enjoyment from watching even if that means to ridicule it. However, Fruit of Evolution S1/S2 was one. Some people were calling Handyman Seito "trash" but it wasn't that bad and had redeeming qualities. So to those, I would be a "trash lover". This season, this show I find has the redeeming quality that it is "bad" but it works as a comedy and that might actually not be accidental. So I will be watching and afterward might laugh "at it" as well as "along with it"....
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:49 am Reply with quote
Well, I liked the third episode a fair bit more than the second one. The story was less all over the place and it was mostly about just killing off not-so-nice-people, which is probably the one saving grace the show has. Seeing horrible people who abuse their powers get theirs is fun. The world is still anything but logical/realistic, but at this point what is the use complaining.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:24 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Well, I liked the third episode a fair bit more than the second one. .

Yup, personally, I've liked each week a bit better than the last, which is better than the opposite version where I come in enthusiastic about a show and then each episode keeps getting a little more irritating until the show is drained of any enjoyment value.

The world makes no sense, but I was still interested in the modern day metropolis. Was I hallucinating or just not paying attention to the background when I thought the guy was in the middle of some medieval European burg where people in polka costumes could leap out at any moment last week?

And it looks like they're going to be trying to compensate for the lack of variety and suspense in having some guy who can just drop people with a thought by having him develop new slants to his power each week. I can kill objects. I can just put people in a critical ward. I can trace back through telepathic links and kill people long distance. In the following weeks, he'll be able to kill anyone watching through a tv monitor, bring a party down, and cause erectile dysfunction.

As to bad watchable isekai, I'd say the ultimate was the one where the guy got a cheat skill in another world and became unrivaled in the real one a few seasons back.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 3 crossed a line I didn't think would come up so soon, Yogiri killed a classmate. A guy who enslaved his own battle harem and wanted Tomochika to join it, for "protection". Sure, he was scum but I'm pretty sure it was avoidable... or shouldn't have been stopped in the first place. He sensed the evil intent of an invisible assassin? Erika was there on her own to kill Tomochika... an effect of the adoration she was forced to feel for her master...

OK, that part is the scum's fault but Yogiri could have just blinded her... unless he couldn't have. I have to say his power is conveniently inconvenient at times.

I'm guessing the classmate with the glasses is going to be a "reoccuring" character seeing how he's in the show's page image,... plus how his whole role got a positive review by Yogiri but I don't see how a new information broker could be as effective as a sage who's already established.

It's not what you know, it's who you know...

Still, I'm impressed by how work this show puts into a character who'll be dead by the end of the episode. The key animator must be grinding their teeth each time it happens.... It has multiple key animators per episode, that makes sense...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5