• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Oh my God, I love this show! I'm totally onboard with its brand of humour. I love the mash-up of different elements. I predict that by the end of the cours, the show will have covered every possible genre we know of and some we don't. My big beef with conventional OP themed shows is that their primary function is to act as wish fulfillment vehicles. We are supposed to derive enjoyment from watching an OP protag effortlessly defeat everything in his/her path. This one I'm convinced is actually mocking the entire concept of OP-ness and finding amusing avenues to examine aspects of it... like Yogiri deciding it wouldn't be right to kill all the cockroaches simply because they're unpleasant. A stance that poor Tomochika isn't on board with. And there continues to be glimpses of a larger narrative that I'm actually interested in seeing played out.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I edged out of dislike, shuffled around in ambivalence, and am now somewhere a little past mild interest territory. What I'm saying is, this anime continues to grow on me. I chuckled when the MC said "I guess thoughtlessly killing someone has some drawbacks." I was on board when the brain wiped clone woke up, and I thought it was cool when we discovered that there were agents from the home world who had been monitoring our MC for some time.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:17 am Reply with quote
I think episode 4 is the best episode so far and would even go so far as to say it ranks as okayish. The episode still has the same issues as the others, yet it also had some interesting plot elements. First there was all the experimentation to see how far the death ability can go and the answer is that our mc has a lot of room to work with. Especially so in that he decides what death means. There were also the two girls at the end who seem to be part of the organization that tracks/tracked Yogiri.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:11 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
I think episode 4 is the best episode so far and would even go so far as to say it ranks as okayish. The episode still has the same issues as the others, yet it also had some interesting plot elements. First there was all the experimentation to see how far the death ability can go and the answer is that our mc has a lot of room to work with. Especially so in that he decides what death means. There were also the two girls at the end who seem to be part of the organization that tracks/tracked Yogiri.

And those girls are riffing on Assassin Classroom except it's 100% a parody because there's no way anyone can take an American Ninja named Carol S Lane seriously.

And speaking of Lane, there's Lain 2.0 who seems to already know about Yogiri. So we have three girls looking for the main character; a modern school age samurai, an American ninja and a loli vampire.

Yup, it's officially an anime.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:15 am Reply with quote
It is also one very unpredictable anime. Basically anything can happen at anytime and logic is just a weird word that does not apply to anything. I have grown to enjoy the show for what it is, but I do not expect things to become good or anything. As for the newest episode, my guess is that the dark god has already bitten the dust thanks to a certain someone.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:31 am Reply with quote
I edited this post because somehow - and I don't really understand how unless my writing was so brilliant that the computer got too excited - the system submitted my post halfway through while I left to make coffee but stayed on the same screen? Anyhow, somehow I double posted and I don't see a delete option even though the icon said delete/edit.

Last edited by Edjwald on Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:36 am Reply with quote
Yah, this latest episode with a sword master contest and a dark god in a volcano full of frozen time seemed pretty random. I also don't know what's going on with this world. It's like somebody shattered a bunch of different ceramic objects...plates, mugs, vases, whatever....and then made a mosaic out of them. And it seems more like sloppy, WTF, drunk-at-the-wheel writing more than genius. But I do think the person who wrote it was having fun. I'm not having as much fun as the writer, but I don't dislike the main characters unless you count that kabuki doll spirit totem as a lead. I'm having enough fun to stick with the show past the third episode, partly out of curiosity to see what the anime will do next.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:15 am Reply with quote
It really feels like the story was written by someone who just wanted to have a fun time and not bother with things like consistency or cohesion. There are lots of events that do not really fit in a functioning world and the world is basically all kinds of settings en genres at the same time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

I think I've already made it clear that I am totally loving the show's Cuisinart approach to throwing isekai and other tropes into a big blender and see what comes out. I'm convinced it's completely intentional and that it, along with the comedic dialogue and reactions among characters, are an affectionate parody of the isekai genre. I think I'm the only one who is laughing with the show as opposed to at it, however. Oh well, a person of my singular genius is cursed to stand alone on my Island of Elegant Taste... I will grant however if you are seeking a compelling and coherent narrative, you are in the wrong place.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Dude, I'm just laughing! Since it is Feb3 11:30am JST does that make me the Laughing Man?? I just can't take this show seriously....
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:30 am Reply with quote
Hmmmn....if I put Konosuba on one end of the scale for intentional subversive parodies of the isekai genre...and I put I Got a Cheat in Another World and Became Unrivaled in the Real World Too on the other end as an unintentional parody of the isekai genre...

I have to admit, I have no idea where I'd place this one. Anyway, I certainly don't begrudge anyone who's loving it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:26 am Reply with quote
Asaka is my favorite character in the series and I hope nothing bad happened to her.
She's the reason Yogiri has more morals than Tomochika... though maybe I need to start asking why the school girl is morally dubious.... apart from being descended from of an ancient Japanese Samurai clan that has a policy of "kill first, ask questions later", that may be part of it.

The most outlandish part of this isekai story is the stuff that happened before the isekai part, that's not how it's supposed to work. So far, I'd rate it as "knowing parody". The writer took the standard power trip of the Isekai genre and placed it at the start so the story is more "now what?" than fulfilling a prophecy only the main character can do.

And don't think I didn't notice that Tomochika is being power leveled by Yogiri. A swordmaster tournament that grants Sage level powers, wow, which main character needs that, I wonder...

I don't wonder if Yogiri can kill the stasis zone, I just wonder if he'll be bothered to do it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:20 pm Reply with quote
What's kind of interesting is that Yogiri's Instant Death Ability is Overpowered as advertised by it actually does have some limitations: namely the limitations he himself puts on it given that there are circumstances he is not prepared to use it. For example, he has decided that just because a creature(s) is annoying, that's not reason enough to insta-snuff. Geez, the guy's practically a Mother Theresa...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:40 pm Reply with quote
You know, sometimes you just have to not think and go with the flow. Episode 6 of this is one of those moments. Many characters get introduced to then getting killed near instantly, be it the evil former knight lady, battle harem or even the mighty wizard of the tower. As for the girl with the magic eye.....no idea what her deal is...some kind of contract killer I suppose. There is also gaccha dude dying a lot.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:50 pm Reply with quote
And the award for busiest/packed/rushed and most random episode of 2024 goes to....episode 7 of Instant Death... applause please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5