• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:22 am Reply with quote
I'm loving this one as it has a very simple idea at its core: Yogiri is a good guy with ultimate power. It's like the last great Simpsons quote: "You ever go mad without power? It's boring, no one listens to you."

Yogiri is completely sane, everyone else is not to varying degrees. I'm still blown away by that last action of the Gunslinger Girl, whose power is to summon a low tier weapon capable of defeating her foe. An easy to use skill until she runs across an unbeatable cyborg dragon so she keeps summoning weapons in until she summons in.... what looks like a two liquid compound bomb and what acts like an atomic bomb... and she was at ground zero.

Oops. And like 90% of the characters who die in this series, it's entirely avoidable. The other 10%? Killed by Sion. Even the various evil Lords and Gods didn't do as much killing as she has.

And then there's the one who was not killed by Sion. She tried to kill him but she couldn't, that's the only thing I'd like explained.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, having seen the final episode I have to give the compliment that the show stayed true to its core from beginning to end. It really is a nonsense tale where the world, characters and story consist of pieces that are brutally mashed together into a big lump that makes little to no sense. It has been an entertaining mess of a show.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:42 am Reply with quote
Here's the thing (apparently that's my phrase for the morning). A couple of years ago, there was a season where there were two shows side by side. One was called Astra Lost in Space and was about a bunch of kids, y'know, lost in space. The other was called The Ones Within and was about gamers trapped in a video game. Astra in Space actually had a pretty cool plot underlying its structure, and it dropped clues from the very beginning that eventually led to a greater picture. Figuring out the mystery was the best part of the show. The Ones Within made no coherent sense whatsoever. There was some dude with a llama's head, and some episodes went supernatural and some went hi-tech and it was never clear how any of what was happening was possible, and I was mostly irritated until I connected to some of the characters, and then I let it go and just watched the show the same way I'd stare at a kaleidoscope.

That's this show to me. Blood kept calling it a Cuisinart early on, and I think that's pretty accurate. At first, I thought the show was just throwing pasta against the wall to see what stuck. Now, I think the show just keeps throwing pasta into an industrial fan. But it was fun.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:30 am Reply with quote
But this show does make sense, it's a question about morality... if you can do something, does it mean you should? It's a theme the series stuck with from the start. And then added Battle Royale with super powers to it... with an additional rule that if you killed Sion, you stopped the whole thing.

I'd say I was too hard on Yogiri in the first episode, not hard enough on the rest. Especially Hanawara, whose magic nullification against death magic was neither explained or explored. If any character could have stopped Yogiri, it was him but he was too much of a coward to instigate an attack from Yogiri. So far...

I still think it's hilarious that Yogiri stuck to his rule of "don't start none, there won't be none" and yet only 4 characters believed him. The two girls who knew about Alpha Omega all along and the two test subjects/vampires.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

I'm rating this Decent. I thoroughly enjoyed its brand of humour throughout but I just couldn't bring myself to call it Good. Just too many suddenly appearing characters and other elements thrown at us willy-nilly... not just because that was part of the ethos of the show, but because the anime was desperately trying to include everything in the source material, I think, and it's just not possible. Still a very enjoyable Decent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5