• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:10 pm Reply with quote

My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered (TV)

Source: Light Novel (completed @ 14 volumes, written by Tsuyoshi Fujitaka, illustrated by Chisato Naruse)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Okuruto Noboru

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy

Themes: aristocracy, conspiracy, isekai, superpowers

Plot Summary: Awaking to absolute chaos and carnage while on a school trip, Yogiri Takatou discovers that everyone in his class has been transported to another world. He had somehow managed to sleep through the entire ordeal himself, missing out on the Gift — powers bestowed upon the others by a mysterious Sage who appeared to transport them. Even worse, he and another classmate were ruthlessly abandoned by their friends, left as bait to distract a nearby dragon.

Although not terribly bothered by the thought of dying, he reluctantly decides to protect his lone companion. After all, a lowly Level 1000 monster doesn't stand a chance against his secret power to invoke Instant Death with a single thought. If he can stay awake long enough to bother using it, that is.

Air Date & Platform:
January 4, 2024 (Thursday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I wasn't overwhelmed, but I'll at least give this one three episodes. I was just pretty harsh on two anime for being too bog standard, but Isekai is one of my go to genres, so I'm willing to be hypocritical and give this one more of a chance.

This show was clearly influenced by Arifuta? Arifureta? Anyway, that revenge Isekai that I wound up dropping pretty early on. But it does avoid a few cliches and does have some interesting elements.

For one thing, I found the whole idea that the protagonist was spawned in some lab (presumably back on earth?) before getting isekai'd a little interesting. Not sure what's up with those horns and/or forelocks from hell though.

The sadistic goddess/sage - I'm just going to call her Glenda the Hood - had some energy. .

I also liked that the protagonist was an icicle instead of a spastic pervert in denial who just happened to luck into powers on the border of Godhood.

I don't really like anime where everyone in a high school class is either a sociopath or a victim, and this one seems to be going there.

And the female lead was pretty boring thus far. I'll have to do more than feel sorry for her if the anime wants me to invest any energy there.

But I did like the idea that this world had some familiarity with Instant Death magic already, maybe hinting at some tie in to that lab intro? People seem to cross backwards and forwards between worlds a lot more frequently here than in the usual Isekai.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I don't really like anime where everyone in a high school class is either a sociopath or a victim, and this one seems to be going there.

And the female lead was pretty boring thus far. I'll have to do more than feel sorry for her if the anime wants me to invest any energy there.

I would argue that everyone in the show is a sociopath, such as the heroine only sounded mildly inconvenienced that she just saw her teacher, bus driver and two classmates get killed, and had to wake up the guy who just slept through it all. I would like to think that a normal person would be panicked and very emotional at the idea of imminent death. It was like no one cared that the two adults were killed, and she didn't really even seem worried asking questions why she didn't get any powers.

My main thought is that if someone wrote these people to be their idea of normal people, or even an interesting story, that persona may very likely have a limited idea of human emotion. Like a story written by the villain in Inuyashiki.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:24 am Reply with quote
The show reminds me of Fruits of Evolution due to one of the VA's and the humor/quality writing that it has. In another busy season a show has to have some kind of hook to keep me engaged to it and this one is on notice for not having anything like that in the first episode.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:06 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I would argue that everyone in the show is a sociopath, such as the heroine only sounded mildly inconvenienced that she just saw her teacher, bus driver and two classmates get killed, and had to wake up the guy who just slept through it all.

I could argue back that the lack of response might be shock and the immediate concerns of survival...but I I don't really disagree that emotions weren't handled at all deftly here, or that it felt more like the author was making cardboard thin characters despicable so that he/she/they could power trip by having a protagonist punish them for it. It was why I quit Arifur-whatever pretty early on.

Is there an anime where an entire class got isekai'd that didn't follow this basic premise of everyone being an asswipe and the protagonist being outcast and victimized only to turn out OP? Except for one female that is.

Seems like kind of a waste of a potentially interesting tangent. It might be cool to watch how an entire class of people with different personalities integrated into a world. Would some of them set up restaurants or become bureaucrats or engineers and such? Would they still form high school like niches? How would old friendships and hatreds and rivalries and romances be affected? Etc.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:21 am Reply with quote
Without spoiling too much, I read a tiny bit of the manga and there is a reason why the classmates are as unhinged as they are, a weak reason, but there is one. That said, that only explains the behavior of some of the characters, in general life is considered worthless in the series.

As for the whole adding value to the other world, you have a bunch of horny teenagers filled with hormones and all kinds of stupid ideas and you give them powerful abilities and nobody to reign them in.....that will end poorly. Sure, a few of them might do something productive, but most will not. If you had a group of stable adults being send to another world you might see something like that.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:06 am Reply with quote
The ISEKAI part of the story plays second to its RPG tropes, where death is cheap and your next life is one restart away.

Having the main character sleep through the unskippable introduction exposition is pretty much on point. And like the title says, his power is over-powered, he is not.

Here's the thing, though: You have a healer, you have 6 dead people and the healer tries to heal his buddies, that's fine. Yogiri doesn't think to order him to try to heal the other 4, that's fine; He slept through the whole thing, probable doesn't know much about what happened.

Why didn't it occur to the girl? To me, she's the odd one out.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

@ Animegomaniac - I think your math is a little off. I believe there were only 4 deaths, not 6. Two were the boy and girl who were left as sacrifices, along with with Yogiri and Tomochika, and were killed by the dragon. The other two boys were part of the trio that foolishly threatened Yogiri and were killed by him. The survivor did try to heal them but healers can't bring back the dead. My only confusion was that I thought he was earlier identified as a necromancer, not a healer, which I assume means he can animate corpses.

Anyway, I kind of dug this. I've sampled 5 shows so far and the early signs are that I'm in a much more tolerant mood than I was last season. How long this period of visual benevolence is gonna last is anybody's guess, but I'm checking out more of this one. I really dug the humour which, granted, does make virtually everybody come off looking like a sociopath. Excuuuuuuuuuuuse me for finding that funny!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:16 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen a show be such a "speed run" as this and It's hilarious! Not sure how Japan HS life really is these days, but from some shows, I think this is intended to be either harsh commentary or relatable reality for some. Anyway, I think the matter-of-fact way the characters go about things might be a side-effect of the speed-run, why waste time with reasons and background when you need to get from event A to B to make schedule? Not a good show, but it had me laughing so it seems to work as a comedy regardless...
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Take a bunch of teenagers, upload an unknown program into their brains, give them super powers, let them loose on a world that has seen jerks from another world, and kill the adults. What could go wrong with that? Talk about a formula for disaster for that world. Who knows what is hidden in that "gift"? Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:25 pm Reply with quote
You know, I consider myself to be very tolerant when it comes to isekai. I can generally forgive lazy writing, not having a unique hook, annoying characters and the whole thing just feeling like it is the same thing all over again for the 200th time. With all that said, Instant Death is some utter tripe/shit. The characters have zero emotion or logic at all, the story is horribly paced and makes no sense, the same can be said for the world as a whole and the animation is nothing to write home about either. Add to that the grating voice that the spirit has and good lord.

Am I being overly critical here or is it just that bad?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Mmmn, I liked episode 2 more than episode 1, but that's still a pretty low bar.

To answer Smurky, I'd say that the show is definitely bad. For me, the question is whether it's watchable bad or just bad bad. If anything worked for me, it was that anime trope where someone who everyone thinks is a weirdo pushover turns into a one man reaping crew. Sort of a Mob 100 appeal without any of the high quality. That's about the only thing that worked for me though. .

Don't think the leads have any chemistry, and the male lead needs someone with a stronger or more interesting or more likable personality to work off of. The sage candidates are still just overpowered sociopaths with zero character development. I don't know that there's anyone that I genuinely like in this anime.

So I'll see if there's an upward trend and I like episode 3 better than episode 2. If not, that's probably it for me.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't they find a better VA for the spirit? What an irritating voice.
I was almost done reading the web novel when the author pulled it. They have done a butcher job on the anime. There is a lot of information missing. I'm giving this anime one more chance before I dump it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:42 am Reply with quote
For me, it is "bad" and stupid enough to be funny so I'm sold. Yogiri is so random with killing people but then trying to keep from it for "reasons" and Dannoura-chan is so animated about calling him and everyone out, the two are like a Manzai act! And then there is the dry commentary from others, like the thugs that can't stand the Aho Sage Candidates because the authorities protect them but our protags are fair game to take out frustration out on because they don't have powers or backing. Human nature at it's finest and most believable.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I gotta say that the humour of this show is super working for me. And I could be wrong, but I feel the comedy is deliberate as opposed to inadvertent. I loved Yogiri and Tomochika's deadpan discussion over coming up with standards for killing people: "But they got in our way... can't you just wipe them out?" Laughing I liked Yogiri's mostly unsuccessful attempt to incapacitate as opposed to kill. I do have a few questions, though... why did Beastkin Girl and the other dude not die instantly? Why was that guy successfully blinded but not killed? Could be that these are just plot holes as opposed to deliberate choices and maybe we'll find out soon. I also love the wild mash-up of different elements like fantasy, robots and spirits. I'm really tuned into the frequency this show is operating on. Based on the title of next week's episode, it seems like Yogiri's easy stretch may be coming to an end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5