• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Again, they took content from several WN episodes and shoved it into one anime episode. Not the first time this has been done. Since the author pulled the WN this past December, you have no way to fill in the missing info without buying the LN or manga.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Man, I think this show is breaking the body count record. The character designer must be making a fortune off this title considering each episode needs a plethora of fresh faces... to kill. I continue to revel in the story cuisinart approach - yes, yes, yes, throw everything into it, more, more, more! I would be devastated if this show ever started to become coherent, but I don't think I have to worry on that score.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 7.

That was a lot, a lot of it good, some of it great and that last minute twist was a real mind blower.

So the hodgepodge fantasy world has its own mad science experiments but the scientists seem to be in the Realer world... who get killed when put in with the lab mice. Maybe.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:46 am Reply with quote
Gisan Otaku wrote:
Again, they took content from several WN episodes and shoved it into one anime episode. Not the first time this has been done. Since the author pulled the WN this past December, you have no way to fill in the missing info without buying the LN or manga.

The weird thing is, due to the simple plot it does not feel all that confusing, it does feel like a lot of new characters pop in and shortly after permanently pop out. Even compared to the previous episode this week's one was a lot.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:19 am Reply with quote
I agree that it's not the plot that's confusing - strange planet. Good thing I can kill everyone. Let's go to the Emerald City. At least we won't starve in this forest of candy cane trees. What, the radioactive Aardvark whose mutation caused this strange ecosystem is under attack by a tribe of Eskimo ninja witches? Zap. Zap. Zap. Zap. Okay, let's keep going to the Emerald City. We'll make a raft out of that inflatable panda over there and float down this weird waterway full of flowing blood. What, we're actually inside the body of a giant condemned prisoner? We have to get out of here before he's electrocuted?

It's the setting changes and the hints of a deeper plot that seems increasingly less likely to really tie everything together that's confusing.

But I've given up worrying about a bigger picture or trying to figure out how this place was created or why and now I'm just enjoying the show for whatever it is.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:34 am Reply with quote
A bit more interesting info this week. Seems like every person who did not receive the sage system in the bus had a reason for that to happen. For our mc it is being death itself, for Dannoura it was the spirit protecting her and it seems that other girl is a cyborg of sorts. That dead(?) guy on the floor might also be something special going by that logic.

We also had some more flashbacks showing how unstoppable the mc is and it seems like up next is going into the underworld with their classmates.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I've enjoyed seeing some of the backstory between young Yogiri and his minder. I also like story curveballs like revealing that the female student "killed" at the beginning is actually a cyborg. Nice! The Entertainment Value (EV) of this show is high for me.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:06 am Reply with quote
Well, this has been the anime that slowly but steadily grows on me for Winter 24. I've officially crossed over into fan territory. A big part of that has been the flashbacks with the young MC and his likable handler forming a real relationship. The current MC is kind of a block of wood - maybe Mob Psycho style? - but the younger MC is more expressive, and becoming familiar with how he grew up and became who he is, it's like the anime is fleshing him out retroactively in a weird way. I didn't feel any real connection to any of the characters at the beginning of this anime, but now the MC is someone I'm starting to root for.

Of course, sleep deprivation and a high fever have helped too....

Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:57 am Reply with quote
The series pulled a reverse Elfen Lied... that is where Asaka is from, she's basically the new hire who Lucy killed... where the guy escaped from minimum security country home and broke into the secure facility where he proceeded to kill all those stood in his way of rescuing their captive.

He's such a scamp.

The "real" world continues to get more fantastic than the fantasy world; Now we have androids and cyborgs to deal with... a cyborg that can eat the corpse of a giant wyvern to gain its power; how her head full of AI knew she could do that is a question for, let me guess, "never".
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:54 am Reply with quote
Another busy episode this week. I do have to commend the adaption for keeping up with so many characters though. Sure, it is a chaotic mess, but it is an adaption that is trying to capture most of the story, it would have been very easy to cut out a lot of the fluff.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

I kinda wish I had read the light novels that cover this adaptation. I'm willing to bet things would be making more sense to me. Fortunately for me, understanding shit is not necessary to enjoy the hell out of this wacky show.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:24 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The series pulled a reverse Elfen Lied....

I hadn't thought about this show in context of Elfen Lied, but that could have been the pitch meeting. Let's take an Elfen Lied parody, splice it into a pastiche world made up of several rejected isekai ideas. and see what happens....
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, with episode 10 we seem to be heading to some kind of conclusion, no idea who will be left standing besides the mc though. As for cyborg/dragon power lady, she sure is cleaning house and with the sage's plans not much of the class might be left soon.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:55 am Reply with quote
I do have to make a compliment in regards to this trainwreck of a show: they sure have a lot of varied overpowered abilities. Episode 11 is basically fight of the overpowered jackasses.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:11 am Reply with quote
Just caught up with the whirlwind that is the plot after I paused watching because it was starting to lose me with all the stuff coming out of nowhere and going nowhere fast. Now, I think this might be due to a speedrun adaptation of LN material or something as it would explain the pace and why characters appear without introduction and do things seeming without motivation or connection to anything else going on. I believe someone said it was hard to follow, but I'd say it is more like confusing. IMO it isn't a trainwreck because that implies the story is moving in a direction, this one seems more like a squirrel on speed...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5