• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales of Wedding Rings (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:57 am Reply with quote

Tales of Wedding Rings (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 14 volumes, by Maybe)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Staple Entertainment

Genres: action, fantasy, romance

Themes: ecchi, harem, isekai

Plot Summary: When Satou's best friend, Hime, tells him that she's moving, he decides to follow. After crashing her wedding in another world, he ends up as the groom when she suddenly kisses him. Prophecy states that her husband is destined to be the Ring King: a hero of immense power who will save the world from the Abyssal King.

Air Date & Platform:
January 6, 2024 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I didn't realize that this was an Isekai until after the anime was over. I mean, if I'd stopped at any point during the show and gone - oh, someone from a representation of our world is going to another world" then sure, I wouldn't have been confused.about what genre it was. But it didn't feel like your factory produced isekai. No adventurer's guild thus far. No tutorial talking about stats or levels or familiar skills ("Fireball!" ). No overload of character tropes (yet). And I'm not even against those things if they're handled well and introduce other elements, I'm just saying that this felt pretty fresh to me. In fact, the fiancé prince didn't even act like a sadistic, arrogant douche bag (yet).

I felt like there were a few missed opportunities here and there - the opening speech that he had to make to the populace could have been hilarious, and I'm a little disappointed that the closing piece suggests a harem in the works because I like the sweet little love story between the two leads. But I'll watch and see what happens.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I want to like it, yet despite it not being the biggest isekai cliche this season I am kind of mixed on it. The premise is okay enough, it does not look bad and the romance between the two main characters is also decent enough. Given the opening there is going to go wife/ring hunting to beat some ancient evil, plenty of excitement/action will probably be there. I don't know, it is not a bad first episode, yet it leaves me feeling lukewarm.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

As I nervously watch my "Currently Airing" list grow longer and longer, I keep on hoping that I'll finally sample a show that is just so horrifically bad that not even Mr. "Zomg, I'm loving EVERYTHING this Winter" would be able to stomach it, or else just be so much of a "not my cup of tea" that I chuck it in the dumper. Well, this show ain't either of those, not by a long shot. What's with all the good isekai this season??? Don't anime producers know that these days isekai are supposed to be trash??? We've got this one, Solo Levelling and The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic. And even though it is not on the same level in terms of quality, I'm actually enjoying My Instant Death Ability... what the hell, man???
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:53 am Reply with quote
I would not go so for as to call this one good, but it has a few things going for it to not drop it. The story is okay and the quest to marry up the waifus to gain power is not one you come across all that often (roadtrip time). The couple has some decent chemistry and they actually communicate with each other, the fights are okayish. The big thing for me is the sage, he is such a fun nutjob of a character screeching all the time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Poor Satou. In order to save his new world he's gonna have to "get with" a total of five hot chicks. Geez, some guys get all the bad luck. But horny otaku wish fulfillment aside, that's kind of a fun premise. It's also going to be fun watching how Hime deals with all the new broads. Satou might start thinking that fighting with the Abyss King's Knights is easier to deal with...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Yah. This isn't setting my anime landscape on fire or anything, but it's a reasonably fun ride. I like all of the characters alright, and the awkward romancing ahead could be good for some laughs.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 2

Poor Satou. In order to save his new world he's gonna have to "get with" a total of five hot chicks. Geez, some guys get all the bad luck. But horny otaku wish fulfillment aside, that's kind of a fun premise. It's also going to be fun watching how Hime deals with all the new broads. Satou might start thinking that fighting with the Abyss King's Knights is easier to deal with...

Given what he had to face this week due to mister elf siscon he might really have an easier time with the abyss knights. If every ring is going to be as annoying to get as the wind one then I might actually pity Satou a bit. Otherwise we had some solid lore telling and two busty elves for the enlightened gentlemen.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least the elf brother is a supporting character and a villain rather than the main character, so hopefully he'll be gone after next episode. And I'll be around to see it, because the series passed the 3 episode grace period and I'm still enjoying it fairly well. Although I have to say, I liked the elf elder more than I liked any of the other characters who are going to play a major role.

The back story was a little annoying, but y'know, it was a real back story, with development and internal logic and some original touches (and probably some foreshadowing if that elder sister is going to crop up again), and I found myself giving the anime props instead of getting bored.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Gotta say that the Ring King's entourage seemed pretty passive in the face of his incarceration. I would have thought at least a sternly worded letter of protest delivered via the consulate would have been in order. And even after he got out, Hime isn't asking stuff like, "hey, did they feed you? Were you tortured? Did anybody drop a bar of soap in front of you in the prison shower room?" Nah, she's all busting his chops about how he's getting along with the elven hussies. Jeez.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:46 am Reply with quote
And thus the wind ring/wife was added to the harem. The baddies attacking just when the party was about to leave was a bit too convenient, but oh well. Some interesting information this episode. It sounds like most of the ring princesses and possibly ring kings don't have a very happy end, reality might be a bit shadier/more grim than the stories tell. As for the sage, seems like he was the lover of the freed elven lady and was planning to keep that a secret from her, too bad though, she found out.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The fan service got a bit more fanny than I was expecting this episode. Not that this is a significant factor one way or the other, just making an observation.

So each of these wives is going to follow him around, and they can't fight? Okay, I smooched you, now I'm going to hang back here defenseless on the field of battle? That seems like an extremely bad idea. It kind of seems to me that training someone to be a ring princess ought to include fighting arts, first aid, and magic use. Just saying.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Edjwald, are you perchance suggesting that chicks have more value than just standing around looking hot and powering up the menz by smoochies and other means? My, how "woke" of you...

...hee-hee-hee, I kid, I kid. Yeah, I agree this literal "princess needing to be rescued, passively standing around" is pretty damn retrograde and uninteresting in a story sense. I'm hoping that will change but we are 4 episodes in so it might very well be a permanent feature.

I thought there were some cool reveals like who the Abyss Knight really was and her connection to Alabaster.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:19 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 4

Edjwald, are you perchance suggesting that chicks have more value than just standing around looking hot and powering up the menz by smoochies and other means? My, how "woke" of you...

...hee-hee-hee, I kid, I kid. Yeah, I agree this literal "princess needing to be rescued, passively standing around" is pretty damn retrograde and uninteresting in a story sense. I'm hoping that will change but we are 4 episodes in so it might very well be a permanent feature..

Social mores aside, I was focusing more on the battle strategy sense. You might as well just change their names to potential hostage 1 and potential hostage 2. At the very least, they ought to expand the wedding party to include some bodyguards, healers, and retreaters. But judging from the closing piece, it looks like some of the future ring holders will include a beast woman and a witch...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:16 am Reply with quote
Well, you guys wanted a lady who can take care of herself and the princess of the fire ring is certainly that. Her skills when it comes to the sword and even martial arts are no joke and our poor mc got his shit kicked in. If she were to become his wife then she would certainly be a powerful addition to the party.

Otherwise it was an interesting episode in seeing the unique culture of the fire country. A moving capital is fascinating and due to that they have a lot of unique services and goods on offer. It was also nice to see the two current wives bonding a bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2