• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

After wandering in the wilderness of indifference for me for several episodes, this show limped back into "I kind of like you again" territory. Mostly this is because I like the main cast. I'm not overlooking a number of deficiencies but for me a lot can be forgiven if I like the main cast and care about their outcomes, which I do. I actually got a bit of thrill when a character quoted the title of the show. Nice.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow, did I call it or what? Although technically it was both Rose's "secret technique" and healing magic. Had to laugh! Also, the black knight lady is hot when how in that "armor"...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:48 am Reply with quote
I agree with a lot of the comments that have been made.

Like Smurky, I thought the portrayal of a battlefield was crazily simplistic, and not just in the lack of artistic backgrounds. That said, I'm glad they wrapped it up quickly enough that the final episode will have some room for some of the character stuff I like about this show.

Like Blood, I appreciated the emotional payoff. I too enjoyed that remarkably cheesy moment where Suzune said "That is definitely the wrong way to use healing magic!" and I particularly found myself being cheaply manipulated by the emotional scenes with Rose and totally enjoying it.

Like Spazz (Minnow? Spas?) and B-dragon I'm willing to blink and not question the magical metaphysics of how the Black Knight's downfall went down too rigorously. Although I keep having this nagging memory of a sword going through the Black Knight's body and the knight not taking any damage at all because the reflection magic apparently channels damage instead of taking it and bouncing it back...

Enjoyed the episode.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, episode 12 (not the final one yet) made clear that the show is way better at having the slice of life stuff with the characters interacting and having fun rather than trying to have a hectic battleground. That includes the former black knight who actually has a personality now and seems to be a permanent addition to the healer group. Also interesting is that the show is setting up a trip around the fantasy world, this might include a certain fox.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, that resolves my issue with the "healing punch". I'm still not sure how "healing magic cancels dark magic" is a thing. But this is certainly not a setting with hard magic rules, so fine.
Suzune continues to be an absolute joy. And I find fox-girl's trade to be amusing in its irrelevance. Girl, you did not need to convince him to heal your mother- he'd probably try to help just because he felt he should.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:33 am Reply with quote
Yah, the fox girl's demeanor suggests she comes from a background where beast folk didn't get the best treatment.

I definitely agree that the show was back in its element and I'm glad to see it. My only concern is that Suzune is a little bit in danger of becoming a caricature while the demon girl is giving off some serious main love interest vibes, and Suzune is one of my favorite characters of the season.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:48 pm Reply with quote
And that was the final episode. I have mixed feelings about some things like the battles due to how they flowed (or rather did not) and that lengthy two episode flashback did not do the already wonky pacing any favors. That said, I grew to like all of the characters and they had actual personalities to like, it was fun seeing them interact and grow stronger while also getting used to a new world. Said world was interesting enough and the ending makes me hungry for more.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I think I really want a season 2, if only because the setup for it seems much more to the series' strengths. A travelogue show with a war a more distantly upcoming prospect, as opposed to the looming spectre that this season intermittently tried to have? That sounds like an author figuring out what story they were good at telling.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I would call the slice of life episodes good to great and very amusing. The solid characters and their development/bonds made those episodes for me. The war meanwhile was hyped up for like 8 episodes or so and the first big battle was not anything that could be called great or exciting.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, this show was one of my seasonal picks in that scenario where I lay odds on whether a show will be interesting or not as if laying down bets at a race track. It's a testament to how high my expectations for this show were that I'm disappointed that it wound up just being good for the reasons already mentioned many times. But the last two episodes were back in their element, and I'd like a season 2. Honestly, I think a journey quest would be a good thing. I think the author's strengths would lend to small arcs, local problems, and new characters far more naturally than large scale warfare and developing big character backstories after hinting about them for half a season.

By the way, the next season new shows I'm interested in so far are Viral Hit, Kaijuu 8, Go Go Loser Ranger, Astro Note, and Unnamed Memory. Maybe the one about Gramma and Gramps becoming young again? Maybe the one about Jellyfish not swimming at night, if only because the art looks energetic....
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13 (Finale)

I was kinda thinking I was gonna rate this So-So, but it has dragged itself over to Decent... barely. I think going on a journey is an encouraging story gambit as opposed to replaying another "war." Even though I wasn't blown away by this, I'd at least start watching a second season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5