• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:51 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
I still question having a near two episode flashback due to it making the war seem like something that is never getting started, but the episode was effective in showing why Rose is as she is and how the healer organisation got started.

Pretty much my sentiments as well. I feel like (A) the story could have been condensed to 1 episode and (B) the story should have been told earlier, not right after war was declared and they were headed for the front lines.

But I don't feel like the anime derailed or anything. Still liking it and still on board for next week. As to the war, Imma just hoping the anime deals with the fight Usato saw in his vision and doesn't end in a cliffhanger.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

It's already been noted but this show is a bit of an uncomfortable mix of light-heartedness and "war is hell" stuff. A title like this normally doesn't spend as much time focussing on an important character's fear before battle or a commander's previous horrible experiences mixed in with, "aw, isn't it cute how this grizzly cub has bonded with the MC." I mean anime does have discordant tonal stuff all the time, just usually not to this extent. It kind of makes it interesting but, for me, at least, not an entirely comfortable viewing experience. There's way more death in My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered but the tone in that is consistently goofy so it's easier for me to digest. Anyway, definitely curious as to how things play out from here.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:45 pm Reply with quote
If the only thing stopping the invasion was not having the bridge built, why doesn't Rose and/or the Knights just drop by every few days to wreck it again? Hell, build an outpost for a bridge demolition squad to hang out in.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I made a similar point a little while back and there doesn't appear to be any evident answer other than the fact that the kingdom's military is clearly not top heavy with tactical geniuses.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Ah, so you did. I sort of intended to mention the bridge awhile back but was expecting someone else to beat me to it, so I didn't. But it looks like I missed everyone's posts that day, including Edjwald's "life of slicing" quip.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, that black armor ability sure is rather OP, I am sure that there is a counter to it, but regular magic and weapons will not do anything against it. So either you gotta find a weakness or somehow capture the knight in question. As for the episode as a whole, I do think that the anime is better at the slice of life stuff than the action moments. The action is not bad, but not anything special either.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Huh, it seems that keeping your prophetic vision completely to yourself wasn't such a great idea? Huh? Who woulda thunkit? I certainly haven't been constantly annoyed by that from the moment it happened. Nope, not me.

Okay, so I kinda get that he wanted to ask about the girl- but then it was confirmed that she was exactly the type of beast person who is rumored to have prophetic visions...
So... of course, the clear decision here is to stop asking, forget about it, the girl, and definitely you should not mention it to anyone else. Yep. Way-to-go, genius.

And my thoughts about the Black Knight? It sucks- that's it.
It sucks, the battle sucks, and now its starting to feel like all the capable character building may go to waste because the author(s) seem to have no idea how to build a scenario around the characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:34 am Reply with quote
I'm more than a little disappointed that Mr Healer hasn't given any thought to what he should do to head off the "bad end" despite having a lot of time. I suppose the author will pull something out of the air and have Mr Healer arrive and use healing magic on the Black Knight for no good reason and it will turn out that it works in reverse and kills the chump because... Rolling Eyes
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:07 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with the sentiment that Usato-kun hasn't exactly been using his brain, even a tiny little bit. I guess the most charitable assumption is that he's in denial and making himself believe that the vision can't be real since it's so painful to think about. The least charitable assumption is that this is just illogical actions shoehorned into lazy plotting.

The show has accrued a lot of good will with me, so I'm still sticking it out here, but the second half of this episode was a bit of a bitter pill. Which is a shame, because the black knight could have been a cool villain if the show had never had that prophetic vision in the first place. Instead of building suspense, the prophetic vision has made everything seem contrived and ham-handed because it was handled so ineptly and illogically.

As to how the black knight will be dealt with, I'm sure it's that whisper-whisper ultimate move that Rose conveyed to Usato. Y'know, right in the middle of the battlefield, after they'd just left HQ and were in an emergency situation. "Oh, by the way, here's a vital life saving technique that I never told you in the long months and 8 episodes that we had to prepare for this moment.....

Barring that, I'd try cold against the black knight. Cold isn't energy...it's an energy drain. If the armor reflects energy - kinetic, heat, lightning, etc...that would be worth a shot. And if it didn't work, it wouldn't be lethal. Binding attacks? Cutting off air supply? Turning the ground into quicksand?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Actually, I can buy that Usato has kept his visions of doom to himself. He has no way of knowing if they are real prophesies or just a reflection of his anxiety. I can see his reasoning for keeping silent. What's the point of telling the Heroes beforehand, "I've been having these murky visions of you both getting slaughtered but hey chin up and best of luck out there!" Remember that Kazuki has already (rather unconvincingly, imo) admitted to pre-battle jitters in his little heart to heart with Usato, so I can see Usato not wanting to say anything given that the only real "info" he has is, "shit looks grim, bro."

In any case, it took a long time for poop to get real but it's finally here. I'm looking forward to Usato and (probably) Rose swooping in and saving the day. Something that has me a bit on edge is I believe this show is capable of killing a character I like.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:26 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 10

Actually, I can buy that Usato has kept his visions of doom to himself. He has no way of knowing if they are real prophesies or just a reflection of his anxiety. I can see his reasoning for keeping silent. What's the point of telling the Heroes beforehand, "I've been having these murky visions of you both getting slaughtered but hey chin up and best of luck out there!" Remember that Kazuki has already (rather unconvincingly, imo) admitted to pre-battle jitters in his little heart to heart with Usato, so I can see Usato not wanting to say anything given that the only real "info" he has is, "shit looks grim, bro."

Problem with that is what I said before. It made sense until he asked around and found out that the beast girl was from a race that had a talent for premonitions, at which point he learned that it WAS likely a "real prophesy" and that he should have taken it seriously and consulted other people that actually understand the world.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:34 am Reply with quote
I confess I don't remember any of that stuff well enough to comment. Do you happen to remember what episode that occurred in? I'd like to see it again for myself.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7, after the beginning credits. Rose tells him that some beastkin are known as "oracles of time" that can see the future and she asks why he'd want to know and he says "Oh no reason, read about them in a book." Confused
Rose also says she was surprised the girl in question arrived safely in town alone, because beastkin children are usually kidnapped and sold. (It's almost as if she could avoid kidnappers because she'd know where they were coming from).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:06 pm Reply with quote
There was indeed enough information for him to at least ask some more experienced people on the matter, doubly so when one of said people is always close by and willing to help him. One could say Usato simply refused to believe it, but that does not really match with his personalty and how he is one to think things reasonably well through, so it is simply there to make for exciting plot I guess.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip, SM, that certainly saved me a lot of hunting. I went back and looked at the scene and I still feel it's not outrageous that Usato didn't tell anyone about the visions. When Rose tells him that "some" beastkin have special magical attributes, he asks if that includes the ability to show illusions or unpleasant visions of the future, which shows he is dubious about the veracity of what he's seen. When Rose mentions there are Oracles of Time among the beastkin, she also says that they are "exceedingly rare" and usually well-guarded within beastkin territory. In other words, there is no reason for Usato to believe that the foxkin girl who is obviously not being well-guarded within beastkin territory is an Oracle.

But finally, let's say he had told somebody about the visions... how would that have changed things? That knight needed to be confronted and who better than the Heroes? Should they have just stood aside and let others get slaughtered? It's not like Usato's vision provided specific information on how the knight's attack work or what its weaknesses are.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5