• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Villainess Level 99 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Is there any explanation for why she played the game? She clearly wasn't interested in the story, and I wouldn't expect the gameplay for a game like this to shine compared to more dedicated grindycrawlers
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:47 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I thought the comedy with the monster flute was as basic as it gets, and the third time still had me laughing.

It was the delivery of the third time that really got me, that she clearly didn't understand what she was doing wrong. In general comedy terms it is called the rule of three, where if done well the third time is usually the best.

Yttrbio wrote:
Is there any explanation for why she played the game? She clearly wasn't interested in the story, and I wouldn't expect the gameplay for a game like this to shine compared to more dedicated grindycrawlers

I don't recall anything, but at the least I don't think it negatively impacts by being unbelievable that she would have played it with specific interests. I think it has been pointed that as a gamer she was probably super into efficient level grinding in games, and perhaps the game had a reputation among power levellers for some reason or another. I don't know much about specific communities relating to power levelling, but semi-aware of speed runners that focus on games regardless of caring about much else of the game.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Those three douchebags really need to be curb-stomped. And Alicia is a mental defective. If Yumiella actually was the Demon Lord, did Dumkopf actually think that asking her if she was in the lunchroom was going to elicit a confession: "Geez, Alicia, you're just too clever for me - yep, I'm the Demon Lord! Busted!" Oi vey. Socially clueless Yumiella continues to be hilarious.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking.
What if she wasn't only playing the game, but she was affecting the game in "the real world"?

What if you're playing an otome game following a girl and her bishies but suddenly a side character is revealed to be the strongest character?
Well, the game would naturally shift to focus on the OP character, and no one would care about the original characters.

I doubt that's waht's happening, but I find it interesting that she keeps noticing the differences in the characters compared to the game she knew.

In the least she's changing the course of events. Like, if she keeps "training" the regent nobles, they're going to all be much more powerful than the central nobles... and why would you fight a Demon Lord with your weaker characters?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Given her issues with consent, I'll be disappointed if Yumiella isn't literally ripping Patrick's clothes off by the end of the season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:08 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Given her issues with consent, I'll be disappointed if Yumiella isn't literally ripping Patrick's clothes off by the end of the season.

Are you talking about her blowing the flute? Saying she has issues with consent seem a bit much, more that she appears to have autistic like trouble understanding social cues, and a special interest in "leveling up". It causes her to act a little hasty when she leveling up is doing wrong, but nothing that would point that she would rip his clothes off.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:36 am Reply with quote
Considering how she was just taking that browbeating from Prince Dip$h!+, Yumiella seems a bit too passive if anything, though that might have been an entirely sane reaction in a medieval style setting. I'm never clear on the distinctions between dukes, counts, barons, marquis(es?) and such, but marquis is apparently a bigger deal than Yumiella's rank, and I did find myself wondering how all this tension between regional and capital nobles played into Patrick and Edwin's stare down.

Also wondering how problematic Yumiella's family is and what the maid/spy will think of Yumiella's new friendship.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

DP, Yttrbio was making a joke about Yumiella's insistence on using the Monster Calling Flute despite all the admonishment not to do so. For me, she's going beyond merely not understanding social cues straight into inexplicable stupidity. Kind of like how the academy authorities are stupid to let her keep the flute. And I dunno... I'm not sure I trust that grey-haired Patrick guy. I hope he really is the stand up dude that he appears but I just have a feeling about him.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:46 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 5 And I dunno... I'm not sure I trust that grey-haired Patrick guy. I hope he really is the stand up dude that he appears but I just have a feeling about him.

Hmmmn...I grant that

- he seems almost too good to be true. But part of that is how sharply he stands out from the three douchebags and the nobles who want to use Yumiella in a coup.

- There is a lot of tension between regionals and capitols, and he is becoming a rallying point for regionals, and there does seem to be some pre-existing tension between him and Prince Dillhole. If he were politically ambitious, it would make sense to cozy up to Yumiella.

- His last name is suspiciously close to Asshat.

But whilst (.<--that's right, I used the word whilst) I generally have the self discipline to stay off wiki and I avoid Japanese Light novels and manga specifically so they won't affect my anime experiences, I'm also someone who cheats and reads opening and closing pieces like tea leaves when I'm into a show, and I'm not seeing it on that front. And I'm not really seeing a manipulative side in his reactions to her. Anyhow, I can see the logic, but I hope it's not true. I kind of feel like it would change the tenor of the show.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Hmmnnn....I'm operating on the assumption that the dark amulets are sketchy as hell and are designed to weaken, possess, or transform Yumiella. If so, the principal is a bad guy. My question is....whatever's going on....are the queen and king in on it? The queen and king put the principal in charge, and the second amulet supposedly came from them....
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Geez, I throw a little side-eye at Patrick and now suddenly Edjwald is going full Q-Anon on EVERYBODY!!! Wink

I don't think the amulets are designed to impede Yumiella. As the show explains, they were originally supposed to be a straight up gift for her but the principal, knowing she planned to blow off the tournament, snagged them and made them prizes also knowing full well that Yumiella would be forced to enter the competition to get them. Why go through all that if he's a bad guy who wants to negatively affect her? He could have just said, "here's some amulets from the royal couple that will increase your dark magic" and Yumiella would have slapped them on faster than... uh... um... something that's really fast.

Her cluelessness continues to amuse me. Like when she was genuinely puzzled that Patrick wasn't clamoring to sit in the front row to get a good view of her dark magic exhibition. Laughing Oh dear Yumiella... never change, sweetie, never change...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:54 am Reply with quote
As soon it was mentioned that the prizes improved dark magic I let out a laugh, because they were clearly a very thinly veiled manipulation to get her to enter and show off her strength.

At least two of the boys seem to have calmed down a bit, apologising even for not believing her. Not sure if there is an implication that they are getting strength from either being pushed to compete with her, or some twist of another thought.

Blood- wrote:
Her cluelessness continues to amuse me. Like when she was genuinely puzzled that Patrick wasn't clamoring to sit in the front row to get a good view of her dark magic exhibition. Laughing Oh dear Yumiella... never change, sweetie, never change...

And this is what I was saying about last week that reading maliciousness into her using the flute, stupidity even, is not a good identification of her character. She is just that clueless and focused on her special interest of leveling. Some people just have a tough time with types of awareness.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:39 am Reply with quote
I agree she is clueless not stupid but I feel the show screwed up with her using her monster calling flute a third time. They wanted the "laugh" of Yumiella using it once again even though she'd repeatedly been told not to. That "laugh" comes at the expense of making her seem stupid in that one particular instance, imo. It's not good writing. Don't sacrifice your character just to get a cheap giggle.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:48 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 6
I don't think the amulets are designed to impede Yumiella. As the show explains, they were originally supposed to be a straight up gift for her but the principal, knowing she planned to blow off the tournament, snagged them and made them prizes also knowing full well that Yumiella would be forced to enter the competition to get them.

Welp, you might be right. After all bullets sometimes hit each other in the middle of a gun fight, on rare occasions it rains frogs, and *somebody's* got to win the lottery Wink

And Oi, I know it's an assumption you slander bandit. That's why I started out saying "I'm assuming" and used words like "if that's the case." Based on the way the blatantly "bad" rural types were trying to get Yumiella to rebel against the king and queen, I really don't believe the royal couple is two faced and scheming.

I don't know about the new principal.

But by all means, let me rephrase: Is it possible the way the anime showed the amulet pulsing in Yumiella's hand at the end of the episode was a little ominous?

As a purely hypothetical exercise, in no way reflecting paranoid tendencies on my part, could the amulets somehow play a part in the tension between capital and regional nobles that Yumiella seems destined to become involved in somehow or other?

Would it be a potential story route for somebody to try to set Yumiella up? Either so that she would have to be taken down by Prince Edwin, or so that she might take out Edwin so that Yumiella can't be an ally of the kingdom against the demon lord?.

But I freely admit, the amulets might just be the result of there not being any other prize that would tempt Yumilela to participate. Her obsession with powering up is pretty well documented, which also goes to the conversation about her IQ vs her EQ.

I think part of the reason we're groping around looking for ulterior motives is that no big baddy has really surfaced to provide tension yet. Unless the heroine of light really is twisted. Is the oft referred to demon lord going to make his/her presence felt early?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:32 am Reply with quote
Okay, first things first: admins, please change my subnic from Bargain Hunter to Slander Bandit, thank yew.

Gosh, did you find the way the DARK MAGIC amulet pulsed to be a little ominous? Kind of like whenever Yumiella uses DARK MAGIC, even to heal people, it looks ominous and dodgy? Kind of like the show was making a running gag of how DARK MAGIC is perceived by all and sundry as ominous? Oooooo, 1,000 observant points out of a 1,000 for you!

*collapses from sarcasm exertion*

Hee-hee-hee...

I want to amend my fear that Patrick might not be a good guy after all. I still think there's a chance he will end up betraying Yumiella, but even if that happens I think ULTIMATELY he will revert to being a good guy at the end of the day. You know, the old ploy of the viewers thinking somebody is a traitor but then it turns out they actually did what they did for good reasons or because they were tricked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4