• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Villainess Level 99 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I guess it doesn't look good for a 2nd season... so, zoom zoom.

I know it's mainly a comedy, and it's good at that, but some of the bits of this episode made me wonder about the possibilities of a show about an MC's mental state when they realize they are living in a fabricated world and there's a possibility that nothing they do really means anything? Most of these guys just run with it, change things to their noble ends, but THIS show does add the aspect of the game world trying to "fix" things and get to the end of the story.

Wouldn't you worry about the end of the game? Do you play again? Does everything just stop?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's how I felt. I've been enjoying this anime but also waiting it to make some forward movement on the main plotline front, and then bam! 0 - 200 from pretty near the start line.

I was wondering if this meant there's not going to be a season 2 as well.

But I'll still watch the anime again at some point in the future either way.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Welp, there goes the show's chances of winning the coveted, "Most Meandering Anime to the Finish Line" Award. There are currently 5 Light Novels in the series which seems like more than enough material for a second season if it's deemed commercially viable to do so. I did not expect Patrick and Yumiella to do smoochies but that's no doubt all part of the hyper drive maneuver.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I was a big fan of this anime at the start, and I liked the beginning and middle parts so much that I’ll probably still watch it again someday though I personally thought the last few episodes felt a little perfunctory. Not that this last episode was bad by any means. It made sense that the heroes were underpowered; sure, they did some last minute power levelling, but they spent most of the anime trying to get the villagers to mob Yumiella's dorm with torches in hand instead of just doing their damn job. Conversely, I enjoyed getting to see Patrick come into his own on the battlefield if not the parade front. And that final twist with Alicia took me by surprise though it probably shouldn’t have. Mostly, I enjoyed Yumiella’s efforts to shoehorn the clueless gasbags into heroic roles so that she wouldn’t have to deal with a lot of attention later. Of course, this means the kingdom is now shored up by heroes who don't live up to their rep....

And sort of on a related note, I have some hopes for Go Go Loser Rangers which probably has more in common with this show than any of the other new prospects I've seen.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Classic Yumiella moment of the episode: her asking Alicia which dude she liked best just as they are about to confront the Demon Lord as a way of ratcheting down the tension. Laughing Oh girl, never change. I'm giving this an enthusiastic Decent. As I said in a different thread, I can overlook a show's lack of pounding narrative engine if it gives me something else in compensation. In this case, the compensation was the eternally delightful Yumiella whose social cluelessness and lack of bitterness over how badly she's been treated made her adorable in my eyes. But yeah, let's face it, this is not a great show so Decent is as far as I am prepared to go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4