• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fluffy Paradise (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:37 pm Reply with quote

Fluffy Paradise (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 15 volumes, written by Himawari, illustrated by Kiouran)

Demographic: Josei

Animation Studio: EMT Squared

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy, slice of life

Themes: aristocracy, dragons, God, isekai, politics, reincarnation, royalty

Plot Summary: After meeting an untimely end due to overwork, a young Japanese woman is offered a deal: be reincarnated in a fantasy world where their god is trying to decide if humans are worth the trouble in exchange for one special skill.

Based on her love of all animals, the woman asks for the ability to communicate and pet every species out there, and her wish is granted – with the caveat that humans won't be nearly as keen on her as her fluffy and scaly pals.

Reborn as the youngest daughter of a powerful noble family, little Nefertina thus begins her life with one goal: to pet them all. That “do humans deserve to exist” thing will just have to wait.

Air Date & Platform:
January 1, 2024 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Fluffy paradise is indeed fluffy given the first episode. A nice fluffy show with feel good vibes and befriending all kinds of fluffy animals (although a dragon is absolutely not fluffy). I doubt it will have a compelling story given the extremely standard isekai start, but I personally like at least one good chill show every season to just enjoy the comfy fluff.
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Okay I am going to out right say it the big elephant in the room, the main character looks like Nina Tucker, and that is kind of distracting.

Anyway so the main character she has a mind of an adult? If so, the interaction with the prince kind of take in a different way, he is kind of like a love interest from her prospective.

But anyway if you can get past that stuff, the show looks like fun.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Some more fluffing in episode 2, but it also had some nasty people in it. It is easy to forget due to all the fluffing, yet the mc has the mission to scope out humanity and part of them (especially the church) seem to believe in the good old humanity must rule over all non-humans shtick. The church will probably be an issue down the road. The rest of the episode was more fluffing, though can you really talk about fluff with a dragon and dinosaurs?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, things are slowly getting a tad less fluffy. There is still lots of fluffing, but the whole god finds humans to be repugnant due to their discrimination and wants the mc to find out for herself thing is rearing its head. If that tutor is any indication more nasty people are going to appear.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:41 am Reply with quote
And that makes for the first anime of the season to end. Fluffy paradise is a show with both plenty of fluffy moments and also a fair few not so happy moments. I would not go further then calling the show okay in the end, the plot is inconsistent with going from fluffy moments one second to a bloody massacre the next with nothing in between. There was also a fair bit of uninteresting politics and the show ends when things are only getting started. It does offer plenty of fluff though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:37 am Reply with quote
Episode12 (finale)

I am kind of confused by the whole kobold conflict. Why was it that she had to play both sides where she could only let the more persecuted kobolds suffer losses, tell them to mourn the dead, and the celebrate with the humans in driving off the kobolds? I just don't understand why she couldn't have solved it more peacefully and in a way that maybe could have created some peace. I was just kind of left on the side of the kobolds that they should demand compensation.

It just feels weird, like this show wants to be cute and fun, make sympathetic "monster" people which leads to discrimination as a topic, but then doesn't want to actually have anything difficult like maybe the humans are wrong. The sort of thing of being sympathetic to a marginalised group, but that group has to accept advancement under the terms of their oppressors. Which I know sounds ridiculous to say about an anime called Fluffy, which generally was mostly interested in being cute. And this is not all going into say the topic of class divide, which I cannot be the only one thinking that when the last episode had her seeing all the other children needing to scrub dishes.

It is weird that I can watch this just cutesy show, and then read into it really weird questions. Such as that the show opened up with her supposed to be judging the humans, and that she seems to be on the side of the humans despite what she sees, and from a side that she is obviously very privileged? Why even have those bits when it doesn't even feel like it is taking itself seriously?

My rating will be Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:22 am Reply with quote
I think that the show is not really trying to avoid the tough questions, it is just very clumsy in how it is handling them. The majority of humans consider monsters and thus kobolds to be a threat, so trying to solve the conflict without violence would be very difficult. You could try using the authority of the royalty, that might result in the people casting doubt towards them however. That said, the escape plan was very flawed and could have been handled far better, the resulting whiplash between the mourning kobolds and the partying humans sure was something.

As for the humans being wrong, the god in episode 1 made clear that he will start purging them if Nema judges them to be beyond redemption. Her plan seems to be to help the monsters with a long term solution and to objectively view how humanity is. So far there are plenty of good and bad humans. Another big issue is that the big religious organisation in their world is very much anti non human. That makes going at the whole thing without a long term plan not a reliable option, especially not if you are a child and need the support of others to make things happen.

I suppose you could let the dragon go wild on the oppressors, I doubt that will have a good result though. In the end the show is more about the fluff than the discrimination and that can feel off.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:26 am Reply with quote
Good golly did this one go dumb. There were about 3000 different ways they could have resolved the kobold situation that didn't result in a bunch of them getting slaughtered. Maybe instead of spending days building traps to fend off the soldiers they just... pack up and leave? Maybe get the prince to establish some reason for the soldiers to delay their attack for a day or two? Ask the wise, forest warping tree to help out?

I mean, the show steadily got dumber through the episodes, but the finale where all the kobolds were clapping for Nema's awful speech while standing around their loved one's not even yet cold corpses slammed this one firmly in one of the worst anime I've completed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1