• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:47 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Presumably, even if Elise suffered from amnesia she'd still remember her god-like medical skills and cure her own condition.

Nurse! Get me a coconut, stat!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:38 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Presumably, even if Elise suffered from amnesia she'd still remember her god-like medical skills and cure her own condition.

Oddly though, couldn't predict she might get a cold if she walked around in wet clothes all night.

Also, didn't predict that she would be in danger of getting hit by a horse and carriage if she walked in the middle of the road at night in a rain storm.
There is a part of me that was expecting to hear some reason for why she was doing that... but come to think of it, it's obvious... they needed to contrive a reason to get the two girls together again.

Logic...
-The old Elise needs to be burned at the stake by her husband the king.
--What crimes? Shouldn't the king hold some responsibility?
-Shut up.

-Elise in the real world need to die dramatically in order to go back to her other world- how about, after treating dozens of people, a huge gush of blood spurts out of her side and she falls out of the plane?
--What caused the wound? Why did no one notice it before?
-SHUT! UP!!

...walking in the middle of the road in a storm without her own umbrella... pretty minor situation in comparison.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:01 am Reply with quote
Don't know where they got the idea that diabetes is unrelated to heart disease. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in people with diabetes, related to 2/3 of deaths in people with type 2. Diabetics are twice as likely to have a heart attack or stroke than people without diabetes. And considering all the fluids they're pumping into him, his legs should be swelling up like balloons. No wonder he can't breathe, he's drowning. Smile

Apparently they can't test for poisons? I think he's just got a bleeding ulcer from worrying about shit.

How does that newspaper make any money when they just throw their paper all over the street? Their distribution system needs a major overhaul.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:48 am Reply with quote
Welp, as a Type 2 Diabetes person myself, that really made for some cheery reading... thanks, Gina. Crying or Very sad

Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:21 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Don't know where they got the idea that diabetes is unrelated to heart disease. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in people with diabetes, related to 2/3 of deaths in people with type 2. Diabetics are twice as likely to have a heart attack or stroke than people without diabetes.

Here's the thing, Szanboti. Elise is such a good doctor that she never allows anyone to die on her operating table like those other quacks. She can take someone who's basically one lung and one eyeball held together by burnt flesh and save that person with an office stapler, her bra strap, and some frantic spitting. So she probably doesn't consider most of the kinds of incidents you're talking about *real* heart attacks....

Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:58 pm Reply with quote
The outline of the show, the concept, is extremely good. It really is. A returner isekai of actual redemption.

If only the details weren't often garbage.

Here it is, the final episode, and they actually repeated the most confounding line, reminding us how little it makes sense.
There she is, about to be put to death and is told: "All of this is due to your mistakes, and yours alone." but never once in 12 episodes they say or show how. The plot does largely fail on that. The whole show is about here trying to fix her apparent mistakes and never once describes any of the actual mistakes.

I guess I'd still give it a "decent" though. If they only had the courage or imagination to show what our sweet Elise's actual sins were (apart from being a vain B.) than maybe it would work. Or if they could have worked to explain some of those other "small" details that make the show jarring.

It was an entertaining mess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am Reply with quote
It occurs to me that Elise's doctor skills saved the king's life and kept the crown prince from being executed...so without those doctor skills, there wouldn't be an empress position...so hasn't she already made a more significant contribution as a doctor than an empress?

And didn't all the doctors at the review state that Elise was going to be the medical Einstein of her generation and had already revised or invented revolutionary new procedures?

But why start chopping logic at this point? This anime happened, and I was there when it did, and I don't regret it. So take that logic and common sense Wink
poltroon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Entertaining mess is about right, watchable but just full of wait what? moments.

The medical anachronisms were just... painful. Not to mention significant surgeries without anesthesia.

My family is still bitter that there was no lamp. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4