• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:08 am Reply with quote
That would certainly make sense but if true the reference is a little unfortunate in that Florence Nightingale was a nurse, not a doctor. But yeah, same general field...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:37 am Reply with quote
So...wait...there's not going to be a genie?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:48 am Reply with quote
The genie's all booked up with Bucchigiri?!.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm conflicted.

On one hand, I respect and admire that this show wanted to put a lot more into our main character than most isekai or I guess in this case it's an ouroboros isekai? It's at least wants you to be more invested with our lead than other isekai where they just drop you in with a boring lead to self-insert yourself into.

On the other hand, while I do like this one, it feels like the first episode takes a lot of time and...I guess the wording I would use is that they try to do too much?

Like, it feels a tad overcomplicated with how our lead was reversed isekaid and then isekaid into the original world she was from? Kind of feels like it would have been easier to just either isekai her once or to just make it a pure fantasy series.

It comes off like it's trying too hard to diversify itself from the isekai we normally get, which is becoming harder and harder to do now since the industry seems to be cannibalizing itself.

At the very least, it isn't as grating or as bad as other isekai. Im down to give this three episodes and see where it goes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Elise really is a very Mary Sue character, except that she's at least given a backstory for her expertise. The thing is, I'm not generally opposed to Mary/Garys unless they really pile it on, like Tatsuya in The Irregular at Magic High School, who's practically the second coming of Christ. I'm actually quite a sucker for stories where the lead is underestimated and gets to prove themselves. So this is my jam, for the most part, flaws and all.

It also doesn't hurt that she's slowly building a very attractive harem and one of them is voiced by Yoshimasa Hosoya. Smile
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Elise really is a very Mary Sue character, except that she's at least given a backstory for her expertise. The thing is, I'm not generally opposed to Mary/Garys unless they really pile it on, like Tatsuya in The Irregular at Magic High School, who's practically the second coming of Christ. I'm actually quite a sucker for stories where the lead is underestimated and gets to prove themselves. So this is my jam, for the most part, flaws and all.

It also doesn't hurt that she's slowly building a very attractive harem and one of them is voiced by Yoshimasa Hosoya. Smile

There are probably two kinds of male isekai tropes who annoy me, and neither is a Gary Sue thing. One is the scorned otaku turned OP edgelord who's going to effortlessly dominate in every scene and deliver angry lectures while doing so (Arifureta being number one example). The other is the spineless pervert who's going to obsess about panties and boobs but run screaming when any of the women throwing themselves at him suggest dating (Throw a dart). The closest thing I can think of to an Isekai Gary Sue is the guy from I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in the Real One Too, and that was the best worst isekai I've ever seen.

As to fems, it's true that my favorite female isekai protagonists have had their flaws to work through...the empress in Tearmoon Empire - the introverted witch in I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 years - the tomboy noblewoman in All Routes Lead to Doom...the current OP kickass machine in Level 99 villainess...

...but my only complaints about Elise being too perfect were her treatment as a miracle doctor in the first episode. The whole 100 percent success rate, no one ever dying on her operating table, her promising patients with insanely lethal conditions that she'll save their life, her having fans and headlines while I couldn't name a single surgeon i didn't know personally without using a search engine...that was maybe, just possibly, a tad much. She could have joined the seven prodigies in that godawful isekai about...5 years back?

But since that intro, it's been pretty smooth sailing.

In a weird way, I think her being so nice and self effacing isn't a Mary Sue thing...I think it's because of the crushing guilt thing. She doesn't mind when people are unfair because she thinks she deserves it. That's actually the flaw I'd like to see her struggling with, personally.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Man, Elise from this show and Rishe from 7th Time Loop are in a Mary Sue death match. Who is the Maryest Sue of them all? It took Elise exactly one episode to conquer Dr. Dickhead - boy, I bet he's sorry he had the temerity to misjudge her! Don't get me wrong, gleeful sarcasm aside, I like this show. And fortunately for me, I'm not impatiently waiting for Elise to screw up. Goshdarnit, I bet she's gonna be the best Empress/Genius Doctor ever!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

That Elise/Rose is pretty damn awesome. How do I know she's pretty damn awesome? Because this show bombards me with that message every, oh, two seconds or so. I am ingesting what I fear may be lethal levels of Mary Sueness here... hope I have an AMAZING doctor like Elise to treat me...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:01 am Reply with quote
You're not wrong. She's hot on Tatsuya's heels for the title. Smile But it's so overboard I'm finding it very entertaining. Every episode now has at least one moment that cracks me up, and I can't hate an anime that makes me laugh.

I'm not a medical historian, but I can't help but think they've jumped the gun on some of the knowledge floating around. Some seems too advanced for the setting while other things seem too primitive. Like they seem to know enough to drape the surgical field, yet leave all the instruments just lying around out in the open. So I wonder about their understanding of sterility. Do they have autoclaves? Was the only thing stopping anyone from inventing splenectomies the vasculature rather than not realizing you can live just fine without a spleen? Do they have cauteries? And now they're throwing magic in on top of all this. Just gotta roll with the ride, I guess. Very Happy
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:58 am Reply with quote
I do have to wonder what a medical class being taught by Elise would be like. "Okay, first, repeat after me I WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE! Good, but say it again with a really earnest expression on your faces. Dammit, Chelsea, you're eyes aren't shining! Clench that fist,Ben! Okay, now just don't let the patient die. Any questions?"
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:48 am Reply with quote
Laughing

My big question going forward is where will the show find new characters to foolishly underestimate/doubt Elise's abilities? I think she's burned through all the doubters on staff... I guess rando townspeople will start wondering in to express their scorn only to be revealed as dupes 30 seconds later?
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:12 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not a medical historian, but I can't help but think they've jumped the gun on some of the knowledge floating around.

There are two anachronistic items that I researched. First is the king's diabetes. I wondered if Rishe was going to "invent" insulin, but apparently there was an herbal remedy known for this disease -- "galegine, a natural product from the plant Galega officinalis, used in herbal medicine in medieval Europe."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5552828/

The problem with drugs derived from galegene is that they were found to be highly toxic.

The more glaring anachronism was the reference to a defibrillator. "The external defibrillator as known today was invented by Electrical Engineer William Kouwenhoven in 1930. William studied the relation between the electric shocks and its effects on human heart when he was a student at Johns Hopkins University School of Engineering."

https://www.communityheartbeat.org.uk/defibrillators-brief-history

Unless this society has already had its Tesla/Edison moment and established systems to distribute electricity, I don't see how a defibrillator would be powered. A lead-acid battery would need to be rather huge to deliver the kinds of voltages defibrillators deliver.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:51 am Reply with quote
...aaaaaaaaand this is why show's should do their research. 'Coz there are viewers like yuna49 out there, ready to pounce! Wink
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:08 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
...aaaaaaaaand this is why show's should do their research. 'Coz there are viewers like yuna49 out there, ready to pounce! Wink

I don't think of it as "pouncing" myself.

Also I don't think the manga-ka was entirely unaware of these anachronisms. Bringing defibrillators into the story was likely not a chance accident.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

A character expressed doubt's about Rose/Elise's abilities - shocking! Although in fairness there as a lot less of that compared with previous episodes. The bulk of the time was spent watching His Highness in his blonde disguise horndog over Elise. Yeah, I just bet he enjoyed those 'palpations." But that dude with the Prince Valiant 'do is plotting something... I have a feeling it's gonna fail...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4