• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zfunk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:38 pm Reply with quote
The prince, he is a male Jem, creating a love triangle with himself.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:01 am Reply with quote
So of the three villainess retry shows, I love the Villainess Lv 99 one, I like the 7th time Loop one a lot, and then...this one's a weird one. It's so earnest and straightforward that it feels a bit brainless, but maybe that's just because I'm a cynical, jaded Mr. Grouchypants or whatever. I mean, I like some sweet anime. I like studio Ghibli stuff, and I think the Aria (the sci-fi gondolier Aria that is) anime are beautiful and amazing. But I don't have a sweet tooth per se.

Part of my reaction is that the Florence Nightingale reference had me expecting more of an Outlander vibe, where a modern medical practitioner winds up elbow deep in medieval gore and filth. Tuberculosis everywhere, no modern sewer system, no concept of bacteria, etc. A combat medic or someone working in the slums. I would love that anime.
Instead, Elise cleans a ward with a mop, and now all the residents have become such cute, happy background characters that I expect to see muppets start popping out and singing. Even if this is Victorian or Edwardian instead of Medieval, medical institutions were grim. Maybe not upper class hospitals? But honestly, I thought physicians made house calls for nobles?

I also don't give a fart about the romance aspect. The prince seems like a sulky, spoiled $h!+head to me, and unless I'm misreading the situation, he killed Elise's family and then killed her personally in her previous life. That would be kind of hard to forgive, I think, unless Elise developed Stockholm syndrome.. Did Queen Elise kidnap peasants and bathe in their blood to keep her skin young or something? Or did she get Marie Antoinetted?

And then there's that. Apparently, 3 hot seconds ago, Elise was an absolute nightmare of a person. An, entitled, unthinkingly vicious narcissist. I like that she's trying to redeem herself, and I accept that she's been humbled by guilt and is passionately driven by an intensity that's about to burst out of her skin. I'm genuinely rooting for her. But the way she - as far as anyone else knows - basically became an add water, instant saint without anyone questioning doesn't feel like the anime worked for it. The same with her medical knowledge. I accept that her previous life makes her a medical rock star, but nobody else knows that. Even if she's the medical equivalent of Einstein, can somebody really go from reading books to performing unknown operations that aren't even in books with nary a complication? It's not just brains, there are manual dexterity skills and such involved. Wouldn't they at least have to practice on frogs or something?

So I guess what I'm saying is, it's not the kind of anime meant to bear up under scrutiny. It's a slice of strawberry cake, and for me, I have to be in the right frame of mind to watch it. I wasn't in the mood after work Wednesday, but early this Friday morning, while I was a little groggy with my first cup of coffee, it was okay.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:02 am Reply with quote
Me? I'm just here for the ridiculous Mary Sue-ness of it all. I chortle every time they go over the top with it.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:26 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Me? I'm just here for the ridiculous Mary Sue-ness of it all. I chortle every time they go over the top with it.

Kind of like the romantic isekai version of I Got a Cheat in Another World and Became Unrivalled in This One? I can see that though it's nowhere near as ridiculous and poorly made as that anime was. That's kind of what I mean about it existing in a weird zone where
I have to be in the right mood to watch it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:52 am Reply with quote
I had that example in mind too even though as you say that show is even more ridiculous and poorly done. But the dynamic is sort of the same where I see what they are doing onscreen and I just have to laugh as I roll my eyes at the same time.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:35 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:

I also don't give a fart about the romance aspect. The prince seems like a sulky, spoiled $h!+head to me, and unless I'm misreading the situation, he killed Elise's family and then killed her personally in her previous life. That would be kind of hard to forgive, I think, unless Elise developed Stockholm syndrome.. Did Queen Elise kidnap peasants and bathe in their blood to keep her skin young or something? Or did she get Marie Antoinetted?

I was looking at my queue recently and imagined how I would describe the plot of each show and this one threw me a bit. How DO you describe that? Her sins (and of the kingdom) are those of ignorance and selfishness, for the most part. That a revolution follows military failures, epidemics and poverty makes sense, but how does the prince (King/Emperor at that point) get to put it all down on his dumb wife and seemingly get away with what should ultimately be his responsibility by killing his wife and family? Quote: "All of this is due to your mistakes, and yours alone." Really? for eating cake and wearing jewelry? I guess she was a horrible person too, but there is absolutely nothing that says any of it was her fault. I guess I could see an unloving husband and king do anything to scapegoat anyone they could to stay in power- but they're really going to have to do a better job of explaining how a ceremonial empress with no real power destroyed a country.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:47 am Reply with quote
After ep 7, I'm wondering if younger brother Mil tried to usurp the throne and Elise aided him or something. She seems to have been closer to him than she was to sulky prince, even if she was in love with the latter the first time round. If she got caught up on the wrong side of the fight for succession, I guess I could see them blaming her and the whole Clorox family.

When she was having her nightmares, I'd assumed he died from the plague, but then it sounded like whichever brother doesn't take the crown, they execute the loser anyway, even if the competition was all done on the up and up. If I didn't misunderstand that, it seems like a stupid way to run a kingdom. They might see it as insurance against rebellion, but it's usually good to have a spare heir in the wings should sickness or death strike the king.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

This is a very funny show. Or, at least, it makes me laugh. When Elise noted that the Heimlich maneuver didn't work on Baba and that meant there was only one method left, I started chortling... no, she's not really gonna... then when she said, "I'm glad I carry an alcohol-based antiseptic with me to prevent infection" and whips out a bottle with a bulb spray from her purse, I of course had no choice but to laugh out loud. Similar laughter ensued when the King and Wormtongue had to listen to the medical experts ecstatic report on Elise. The only thing that Monocle failed to say was, "during the procedure, several witnesses reported seeing God's own light shine out of her butt-hole!" Oi. I'm sensing a selection to the Mary Sue Hall of Fame for this title.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of wondering if she'll ever tell anyone the "truth"- love that "Miki" said it straight.
It's kind of the thing she should maybe tell the king.

"Um, yeah, the only reason I had those brilliant insights on the geopolitical situation is that I lived through it before. Once you fix those issues, I'll be pretty useless because I won't know the future anymore. But I will retain more practical medical knowledge in my head than your entire hospital staff. Like, I happen to know of an advanced medicine called 'insulin' that can treat your diabetes much better than what you're getting... maybe you should allow me to keep being a doctor?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Responding in the order that I read them.

Gina - yes, that 3rd prince is a bag of cats. I can see him doing something nihilistic and utterly self-destructive and shitty, but I can also see him being capriciously kind.

Blood - I don't see why you're making such a big deal out of a tracheotomy. Frankly, I thought the anime showed remarkable restraint in not having duchess have a neural condition where Elise had to perform brain surgery with her teeth, a salad fork, and her sewing kit.

Minnow - Me, I don't really think Elise exposing herself as a regressor would be wise if the goal was to make her less valued as a political resource. The councilor who looks like a Sith lord might have Elise locked up in a dungeon and interrogated for future information and alternate universe technologies. Or the church - which we don't really know much about - might have her imprisoned for heresy. In fact, one of my grouses a few posts ago was that Elise's behavior is way too inexplicable and attention getting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:31 am Reply with quote
Ep 9 was hilarious from the cheap lightning effect start to finish.

Juliane: You're worried I'll get wet? This is nothing.
Elise: :mutters: Well, it's often fatal where I come from...

Elise: It doesn't seem to be a compound fracture. If the skin were broken, I could tell, because I'm a doctor! (a bone broken in more than one place is a comminuted fracture. Compound fracture is when the bone pokes through the skin) Anyway, gotta run!
Juliane: In this storm? Stay the night.
Elise: But...wouldn't I be imposing?
Juliane: Oh, yeah, guess so. Out you go then! Ganbatte!

Elise: I can't braid hair. I'm trash.
Elise: I can't make cookies. I'm trash.
Juliane: Don't sweat it. I'll do your hair for your wedding. If I can't be a doctor or the next queen, I'll be a hairdresser!
Elise: Yay!

Elise's father: You stayed the night at the Childs and they didn't terrorize you?!
Elise: Nope. Juliane and I are BFFs now. Have a cookie?

I want Juliane's gogo boots.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:20 am Reply with quote
I've actually dropped this despite its reliable hilarity but I appreciate the summary, Gina... I feel like I was there!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ep 9 was hilarious from the cheap lightning effect start to finish.

Juliane: You're worried I'll get wet? This is nothing.
Elise: :mutters: Well, it's often fatal where I come from....

Heh.

The thing I remember most clearly is the scene where Juliane was explaining how she was jealous of Elise while Elise sipped Juliane's tea. There was this awkward second where I was waiting for Elise's body to drop to the floor...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:08 pm Reply with quote
When they ran her down in the street, I was so expecting her to look up at Juliane and say, "Who are you?" I guess the series isn't long enough for the amnesia-reversion-to-old-self subplot though. Unless they're saving it for season two!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Presumably, even if Elise suffered from amnesia she'd still remember her god-like medical skills and cure her own condition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4