• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Unwanted Undead Adventurer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I think this one is fine? Honestly a lot of anime this season is just 3/5 fine. This one is also just 3/5 fine. I like our lead, but the blonde isn't anyone special, and the first episode took up too much time just dumping dialogue at the viewer.

Still, so far, at least it isn't pulling a Skeleton Knight in Another World bullshit like that show did with its first episode.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm up to date in the series so if anyone wants any non spoiler details, feel free to ask.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm the type of person that doesn't like to know anything in advance no matter how trivial so if you do post anything ... even if in your opinion it's a "non-spoiler"... please use spoiler tags. Play it safe instead of trying to guess what somebody else might consider a non-spoiler or not.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm the type of person that doesn't like to know anything in advance no matter how trivial so if you do post anything ... even if in your opinion it's a "non-spoiler"... please use spoiler tags. Play it safe instead of trying to guess what somebody else might consider a non-spoiler or not.

Oh I intend to spoiler tag every response and am just putting it out there for anyone who might have any story, quality concerns, or if any creepy problematic problematic shit crops up(the answer is no).

I will say this, the series borrows VERY HEAVILY from stuff like spoiler[DnD, Dragons Crown, and older fantasy LN's and anime like Lodoss War anr Slayers and what not] similar to Faraway Paladin.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Cool, thank you! Sadly, not every original source poster is as considerate as you are.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:48 am Reply with quote

That went surprisingly quickly, although it's not a surprise how effective Rentt's third buff is given the nature of the boss in question. However, he was specifically warned against using that energy source so has to face the music when he goes back to apologise. The blacksmith effectively shows his hand as well, so it's an unspoken agreement between customer and vendor to continue their previous working relationship without asking personal details.

The big highlight is Rentt's next evolution, which is not as drastic as his previous transformation but significant none the less. How he gets it isn't fully explained, but if we take Lorraine's explanation at face value then she has contributed massively towards the feat and he owes her for that and beyond. One of the takeaways I had from that exchange was the hitherto unexplained issue regarding the mask. I had thought it would stop him from acting on his urges, turns out he can make parts of the mask appear and disappear at will for as long as the mask remains cursed and is stuck to him. One could say the mask is almost tailor made for someone like him, which raises an interesting question of whether he's not the first specimen with his peculiar "problem".

Now that he's evolved, all of the ED stills featuring Rentt outside of his adventuring wight outfit make sense. He didn't have enough flesh on him at the start of the episode, but now speaks almost as well as he did in episode one (his subtitles remain unchanged from last week despite the improved pronunciation). If viewers think about what the OP animation shows coupled with Lorraine's theory about advanced evolution being more than just a simple monster cull until his frame is ready to transform, then the transformation from Shiki to lesser vampire lies in that particular still frame towards the end of the OP song (assuming that thing is what I'm guessing it is)

Rentt's good deed might have unexpected benefits down the line. That restaurant wasn't on his usual gourmet list, and if those ingredients (Orc meat?!) are anything to go by Rentt might not have a relapse if he's willing to trust his newly won cooking duet with unusual requests. He just needs a quiet corner in the establishment and no inquisitive patrons and he'll be sorted.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:17 pm Reply with quote
His new evolution sure sets a dangerous precedent. Yeah, he looks more human now and his voice is also less raspy, but he had to consume human flesh besides getting a load of xp to make the transformation happen. Considering that he is on the vampire line evolution wise, well, we all know what vampires like. Gotta be careful not to suck someone dry like a milkshake in the future.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Ain't gonna lie... seeing him chomp Lorraine took me off guard... wasn't expecting that. It makes sense he'd be subject to ghoulish impulses but so far he's been able to retain his human nature even while being a skeleton and such so I wasn't expecting him to get all flesh hungry. Granted, Lorraine is pretty succulent... Now he's got somebody to run errands for him plus free all you can eat service. Definitely coming up in the world.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:49 am Reply with quote
I also picked up on the fact that having someone who can cook him...umm...let's just say *exotic* dishes...could be a huge boon in the episodes to come. Yah, the Lorraine interaction was surprising. I was both appalled and impressed by Lorraine's non-traumatized reaction. She's not just a stock harem candidate fer sure.

I won't lie, I've been sitting here running through different kinds of humanoid undead that Rentt could become in my head. The show has mentioned vampires and wights, the latter which were Tolkien's adaptation of draugr the same way that hobbits were gnomes and orcs were goblins with a few bells and whistles.

Having Rentt become a mummy or a dullahan could be funny. He uses spells, so I guess he could become a lich...

Are lycanthrope undead? I don't think so, but I wouldn't mind if the show went there.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I also picked up on the fact that having someone who can cook him...umm...let's just say *exotic* dishes...could be a huge boon in the episodes to come. Yah, the Lorraine interaction was surprising. I was both appalled and impressed by Lorraine's non-traumatized reaction. She's not just a stock harem candidate fer sure.

I won't lie, I've been sitting here running through different kinds of humanoid undead that Rentt could become in my head. The show has mentioned vampires and wights, the latter which were Tolkien's adaptation of draugr the same way that hobbits were gnomes and orcs were goblins with a few bells and whistles.

Having Rentt become a mummy or a dullahan could be funny. He uses spells, so I guess he could become a lich...

Are lycanthrope undead? I don't think so, but I wouldn't mind if the show went there.

Don't think a Dullahan would work since he still has his head attached.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:23 pm Reply with quote
doomrider7 wrote:
Don't think a Dullahan would work since he still has his head attached.

Well, sure, at the moment. People lose their heads all the time. I mean some people think Snack Basue is a bad anime....

::::::::suddenly looks around with a weird, standing on a deserted street feeling::::::::::
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:30 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, a werewolf is not an undead monster.
I think Harlyquin is right about how Rentt takes the next evolution step. Why have such a fancy potion bottle in the OP if it isn't significant?
doomrider7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:35 am Reply with quote
Question. Besides things like apathy, laziness, incompetence, and whatnot. Is there a reason why other than the first episode there have been no reviews? I recall this not being the first time this has happened either.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:15 am Reply with quote
doomrider7 wrote:
Question. Besides things like apathy, laziness, incompetence, and whatnot. Is there a reason why other than the first episode there have been no reviews? I recall this not being the first time this has happened either.

The reviewers pick which anime to stick with throughout the season and always leave some (I'm not sure what the percentage is) out in the cold. I guess because no reviewers wanted to watch them, or they figured the number of people watching the shows wouldn't be enough to merit the effort?

I would think that this show would be guaranteed at least a decent following though. It's in that Berserker of Gluttony zone.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:18 am Reply with quote
The real issue is the sheer amount of anime every season. We have like, 40 plus new anime every single season and that means you have to make choices unless you have a huge number of people to pump out weekly reviews (the site does not have that).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6