• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Unwanted Undead Adventurer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:23 am Reply with quote
doomrider7 wrote:
Question. Besides things like apathy, laziness, incompetence, and whatnot. Is there a reason why other than the first episode there have been no reviews? I recall this not being the first time this has happened either.

Every season, ANN conducts a poll of posters to see which new shows will be reviewed on a weekly basis. And even if a show gets selected by posters, a reviewer must be willing to take it on. It seems Unwanted lived up to its title.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Rentt started his second adventurer life this week and it was a rather hectic start: entering a bedroom hidden in a dungeon, nearly getting killed by an elf lady and getting overpowered gear in return...not a bad start. It does make one wonder just how much is unknown about the true nature of the dungeons/labyrinths and those living in them.

Otherwise we were once again reminded how out of the norm Rentt's new body is and how important/valued he was for a low ranking adventurer.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Every season, ANN conducts a poll of posters to see which new shows will be reviewed on a weekly basis. And even if a show gets selected by posters, a reviewer must be willing to take it on. It seems Unwanted lived up to its title.

Kind of amusing almost since the series is generating a bit of a following on Reddit and MAL specifically for being a more down to earth take on adventuring without the isekai, OP, or edge tags applied to it.

smurky turkey wrote:
Rentt started his second adventurer life this week and it was a rather hectic start: entering a bedroom hidden in a dungeon, nearly getting killed by an elf lady and getting overpowered gear in return...not a bad start. It does make one wonder just how much is unknown about the true nature of the dungeons/labyrinths and those living in them.

Otherwise we were once again reminded how out of the norm Rentt's new body is and how important/valued he was for a low ranking adventurer.

Not a whole lot. Lorraine mentioned in a previous episode that there are entire academic fields dedicated to the study of dungeons and their ecosystems.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Erm... iffen you're gonna change your name to disguise your true identity, you MAY want to use a different first name. Jes' sayin'. Vivier, despite its French look is not an actual world, but the French word for life is vie. Kinda seems like somebody wanted to suggest the idea of "Liver" (not the organ, but somebody who is living, a liver as it were).

Anyway, cool episode. Trippy that somebody - in this case a hot elf lady - is living in a dungeon. I wonder who the dead dude was to her. No doubt we'll be finding out soon. Anyway, Rentt got some pretty nice swag from her and only had to endure a moderate thumping. As my esteemed colleague smurky points out, not a bad start, indeed.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:13 pm Reply with quote

More of the cast members featured in the ED animation make their debut. As expected from the episode title, the guild receptionist is formally introduced and is more than just a pretty face in the OP and title screen. I expect she and Lorraine are the ones in contact with each other; both of them like Rentt or are beholden to him for various reasons. Sheila would love it if Rentt joined her as a colleague, but he's missing and unless she catches on about Rentt's new identity the same way the blacksmith did she'll treat him as any other newbies adventurer.

Rentt is literally the living embodiment of the Chinese proverb 塞翁失马, so many unfortunate incidents in a short space of time yet they've turned out to be to his benefit upon hindsight. Rentt realises this as well; his encounter with the mysterious scantily-clad elf will not be the last if he continues to strengthen and evolve. Perhaps she can help him in his quest in the same way Lorraine does if he proves himself. For now the cloak and map she gave as compensation will serve him well on his long road ahead, with the replacement armour he bought his "wight outfit" is now up to speed with the ED still.

The two newbie adventurers he met in this week's episode also feature in the ED, and they're the same rank as his second registration. If Rentt is going to (re)sit the promotion exam for bronze, short odds they'll be joining him to sit the exam together either cooperatively or as adversaries. Human Rentt would be a good mentor to them as the guild and other adventurers expect, but Ghast Rentt would likely kill them both if he was forced to, even without his ordered sword. I'm not sure if Ghast Rentt listed his USP in the guild paperwork; that would have given away his identity to Sheila and would make any exam more interesting as the warrior can use Ki the same way Rentt does.

With Rentt more or less on the way up, just the remaining figures in OP and ED yet introduced to round out the cast. Is the hooded figure in the OP the same as this week's elf? If she isn't, that's another hook to keep casual viewers interested while the adaptation slowly shows its remaining cards.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:23 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think he should have changed his name to Fennt Raina, or something fancy like Alias NomdD'Guerre...

Did the receptionist really not recognize his handwriting after he was the guild's dogsbody for so long? Or did the blonde heroine in training say something to the receptionist and she's being discreet?

Anyhow, still enjoying the anime. This mysterious dungeon crack is a pretty interesting phenomenon to be explored, Rentt's an easy kind of MC to root for, and the central relationship between Rentt and Lorraine is more interesting than the standard fare, What's not to like?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Personally, I think he should have changed his name to Fennt Raina, or something fancy like Alias NomdD'Guerre...

...followed by slapping on one of those "glasses-bulbous nose-mustache" disguise dealios...
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Has anybody heard if a Dub will be done of this series?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Gisan Otaku wrote:
Has anybody heard if a Dub will be done of this series?

Not as of this time. If you time in "Crunchyroll Announces Winter 2024 lineup" to a search engine it will lead you to a page that has most of that kind of information.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:23 am Reply with quote

As the title suggests, Rentt is invited to undertake the exam for bronze-grade after easily completing a task which he himself said only bronze-grade adventurers or above could safely handle. Human Rentt was stuck at this grade for over a decade, so it's no surprise he's not bothered since nothing much has changed since the first attempt. Obviously we viewers do not expect Ghast Rentt to fail it now, but the process reveals a lot about human Rentt and how underrated the man himself appraised himself.

Lorraine has initially dismissed Rentt's double registration as a trivial matter, but Rentt's initial discomfort at breaking guild rules turned out to be prescient. As Lorraine had pointed out, Rentt was rated so highly by the guild they wanted to hire him as a member and his sudden disappearance has actually led the guild to believe Ghast Rentt killed Rentt Faina prior to registering with them. Sheila has not realised who Ghast Rentt really is, but if she's tasked with digging deeper will she figure it out the same one the blacksmith has?

Rentt has one fault: he's romantically dense. Lorraine clearly likes him, or she wouldn't react that way when she heard how he used her surname to register. In addition to being a relative, use of the surname could also imply he'd married into her family. She'd love that, but his tendency of making himself as unimposing as possible is something she's used to throughout their long relationship.

As expected from the bronze-grade used by the guild as their handyman: he knows all the dirty tricks employed by the guild during promotion exams. Although level-capped when he was still human, the knowledge and experience he's acquired through his journeyman career is more extensive than Lorraine at silver grade. No wonder the guild rates him so highly; when he takes fledglings under his wing he has the talent of getting the best out of them to further their careers. Now his undead form gives him the ability his dedication could never earn him, so him taking the lead is satisfying given what we know about him since the show's beginning.

It's worth remembering Rentt didn't really explore the popular labyrinth up to the boss room. Looking at his automap for this dungeon, he didn't go very far in the first level. He's also keeping it under wraps for training purposes. After he passes this and looks at the map again, he will find out for himself whether the gift is truly useable outside of the starter dungeon he's made a living in for so long.

I'd expect Rentt to defeat this unknown trial boss on his own (it can't be as tough as the giant skeleton given the grade). With the pair fighting together with him, he has to make sure they work together and survive to the end after victory. That will increase the burden on him since he's won their trust. Independent of his current form, does he still retain the mentor talent the guild had long recognised he had?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:23 pm Reply with quote
That is one nasty test set up by the guild. It really tests every aspect of being an adventurer and going at it without thought or planning will really mess you up. In most anime you only have to deal with some traps and monsters, here things are a lot trickier, the guild is also not at all some benevolent organisation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:57 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of funny... you think the show would be about Rentt's struggles to deal with being undead and to a certain extent it is, but it's even more a pretty straightforward dungeon raiding show about a dude who wants to advance up the adventurer ranks. I kind of dig its "old school" dungeon/adventuring/guild ways... there's no bizarre or off-putting twist, just an adherence to classic dungeon story-telling. You could actually drop the undead angle and the show really won't change all that much.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:11 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It's kind of funny... you think the show would be about Rentt's struggles to deal with being undead and to a certain extent it is, but it's even more a pretty straightforward dungeon raiding show about a dude who wants to advance up the adventurer ranks. I kind of dig its "old school" dungeon/adventuring/guild ways... there's no bizarre or off-putting twist, just an adherence to classic dungeon story-telling. You could actually drop the undead angle and the show really won't change all that much.

Agreed. Reminds me a bit of stuff like Slayers in that regard for some reason or Grimgar if you wanna be more recent. This episode skipped a few things which is a bit of shame as they do some lifting for World Building as well as character stuff.

Not sure if it'll be brought up later so spoiler marking it, but do recommend reading.
spoiler[The orc meat Rentt acquired can be gathered one of two ways. Either you hunt orcs out in the wild which is much harder due to their greater experience and knowledge OR you go into the Dungeon of the New Moon(same as the exam is being held) where one of the floors is full on forest biome(Think the Nokron/Siofra River areas in Elden Ring or the Chalice Dungeons from Bloodborne are a better comparison or some of the Sword Trial floors in Breath of the Wild) and hunt the respawning ones there that haven't had time to gain more experience and knowledge.

This also veered into an explanation about dungeons. The dominant theory is that they are created using spatial magic to create sort of pocket dimensions biomes, but nobody knows who or how they were made as the mana requirements are astronomical. The monsters in them also operate in a sort of respawn mechanic similar to what you see in the aforementioned games(Elden Ring and BotW) in that after a period of time, the monsters respawn from the coagulation of the mana. The monsters DO need culling from time to time as being left unchecked can lead them to becoming a horde wave.

They also skipped the trip to the dungeon where Rentt pesters the carriage driver about directions to the dungeon as well as Laura and Raiz discussing if they can trust the mysterious masked stranger with them.]
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:52 am Reply with quote
I don't really understand Rent's obsession with becoming a mithril adventurer yet, but there was something satisfying in watching him apply his hard earned veteran's knowledge with his new, more powerful body to kick a little ass. Okay, he occasionally has cannibalistic urges and is butt ugly and may become targeted by this world's version of a church if his mask ever gets knocked off. At least he gets to enjoy some perks.

I found myself wondering what happened to the blonde newbie he helped in the first few episodes. I also found myself thinking, um, another anime where they treat orcs like pigs in a blanket? Ewwww.

I don't know if the guild is bad per se, or just not necessarily good, or if this all falls under the category of tough love. Maybe it's just a business at it's bottom line?
doomrider7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:11 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I don't really understand Rent's obsession with becoming a mithril adventurer yet, but there was something satisfying in watching him apply his hard earned veteran's knowledge with his new, more powerful body to kick a little ass. Okay, he occasionally has cannibalistic urges and is butt ugly and may become targeted by this world's version of a church if his mask ever gets knocked off. At least he gets to enjoy some perks.

I found myself wondering what happened to the blonde newbie he helped in the first few episodes. I also found myself thinking, um, another anime where they treat orcs like pigs in a blanket? Ewwww.

I don't know if the guild is bad per se, or just not necessarily good, or if this all falls under the category of tough love. Maybe it's just a business at it's bottom line?

The guild is like one of those employment offices where they help you find work while also giving the necessary skills for the work force. The side-stories mention that a lot of jobs posted are actually quite mundane like warehouse work, construction, and material gathering. The guild has a vested interest in their adventurers surviving jobs hence the reason for the test being the way it is. They want you to experience possible worst case scenarios in a controlled environment where you're not in actual danger to see how you react and if you're cut out for the job or a rank promotion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6