• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Unwanted Undead Adventurer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:58 am Reply with quote
I noticed that despite some really good work with their existing 2d models the show went out of its way to not show the new labyrinth or Rentt doing his orc hunting. Enabling the show to subsist on existing assets for another episode.

One thing that is curious for me is if Rentt is still getting his golden glow heals from killing monsters in the Labyrinth. We have not seen the effect since the 2nd episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:17 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
One thing that is curious for me is if Rentt is still getting his golden glow heals from killing monsters in the Labyrinth. We have not seen the effect since the 2nd episode.

One in-franchise excuse for the cost cutting was given by Lorraine: monster levelup past a certain point doesn't work for Rentt because he's outgrown the little experience base skeletons give in his current form. In his skeleton form, he had the glow as he was fleshless and could absorb kills to contribute to ghoul evolution. After his first transformation, it didn't appear necessary any more (and is a great excuse to cut costs).

Rentt didn't have a visible transformation scene after he'd chomped on Lorraine and she blast him with a spell to subdued him either. If he's going to transform one last time before this adaptation finishes, it's a toss up whether it'll be as dramatic as his first.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I doubt that it can be as dramatic as the first one. Sure, he will keep getting more humanlike, but it is hard to beat going from having no flesh at all to having something that resembles a human.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:35 am Reply with quote

Until someone else flagged it up, I hadn't thought too deeply about the bestiary to date consisting of a Dragon, skeletons, slimes and goblins of various shapes and sizes. This episode kept the cost cutting trend by delivering an oversized Slime as the boss, which Rentt and his temporary allies dispatch with some difficulty. Thanks to Rentt's insistence on making a bit of coin during the exam, they avoid the last pitfall prepared by the guild and earn their rightful place as the first party to reach the goal and claim the special bonus for coming first. Rentt being the good mentor he is even goes so far as to take a detour to give his fledgling companions motivation to keep going with their chosen career.

All that mentoring has unfortunately alerted his oldest acquaintance to his true identity. Sheila and her brother have known Rentt for a long time, and Sheila suspected and confided in her kin but didn't act on it until reading her brother's report. I admit I did not expect she would go so far to keep his secret, unlike Lorraine who for her own reasons won't divulge Rentt's identity, Sheila has a mandate to dig further. Deliberately disobeying direct orders shows just how influential Rentt Faina was despite his low rank and low self esteem.

Initially I thought the guild were investigating monster Rentt for doing away with human Rentt and then assuming his identity. Turns out it's a bit more complicated than that. I wonder how far this story thread will be taken before the adaptation finishes.

While Rentt Vivie is on a short sabbatical, his new weapon is ready and he'll have time to test it out. I'm curious to see what he can do with his new weapon.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:34 am Reply with quote
A giant slime seems like a fitting first floor boss. It is not easy to take out, but with some thought and planning it is not all that hard either. They also had to deal with traps until the very end, it really was a nasty test, I imagine many fail it (or get disqualified due to being observed). Speaking of rookie adventurers, was that Rina we saw standing near the quest board at the end?

As for the whole kidnapping thing, I imagine Rentt will get caught up in that somehow sooner or later, I would actually be amazed if that was not the case.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Indeed I suspect we are being prepped for the final arc of this shows run with Rina reappearing, rookies going missing and a suspicious individual about to become even stronger if the next episode title is anything to go off of.

Even if the slime is cost saving I still admire the integration and use of 3d with 2d. It works really well and has some advanced techniques that other shows would skimp on. If I compare this show to the likes of So Im a Spider and Overlord; by keeping the focus tight it looks far better and more fluid then those bigger shows where able to produce (excluding Kumoko herself).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

*sigh* I really hate going senile. Can some nice person out there whose memory isn't marred by more holes than a brick of Swiss cheese please remind me who Rina is? Thanks in advance. And is there a law that all female guild receptionists have to be super nice and supportive? Sheila certainly doesn't break the mold. If I ever wrote an anime isekai or fantasy, I'd deliberately create an evil, sarcastic female guild receptionist character simply to be revolutionary. I did chortle when Rentt was totally cool with her signing a magic contract that would consign her to slavery if she spilled the beans on him. "Sure, just slap your John Hancock on that, and I'll tell you all." Rentt - obviously not a trusting soul.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Can someone please remind me who Rina is?

Blonde adventurer from episode 2 that Rentt rescued from a skeleton who in turn kept his secret and got him clothes + cursed mask.

As for your other question, well we did have sarcastic receptionists in Konosuba and they also cowered in fear when Kazuma was being creepy. I forget the title but there was one of the generic Isekai where the receptionist was known for being grumpy and aggressive towards the louts that most adventurers where but she was soft on the MC character. That was one of those ones with a submissive main.

I am curious if the contract is going to become an issue later.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Cryten! I think I vaguely remember her now... I mean that was a whole FIVE episodes ago...
doomrider7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

Until someone else flagged it up, I hadn't thought too deeply about the bestiary to date consisting of a Dragon, skeletons, slimes and goblins of various shapes and sizes. This episode kept the cost cutting trend by delivering an oversized Slime as the boss, which Rentt and his temporary allies dispatch with some difficulty. Thanks to Rentt's insistence on making a bit of coin during the exam, they avoid the last pitfall prepared by the guild and earn their rightful place as the first party to reach the goal and claim the special bonus for coming first. Rentt being the good mentor he is even goes so far as to take a detour to give his fledgling companions motivation to keep going with their chosen career.

All that mentoring has unfortunately alerted his oldest acquaintance to his true identity. Sheila and her brother have known Rentt for a long time, and Sheila suspected and confided in her kin but didn't act on it until reading her brother's report. I admit I did not expect she would go so far to keep his secret, unlike Lorraine who for her own reasons won't divulge Rentt's identity, Sheila has a mandate to dig further. Deliberately disobeying direct orders shows just how influential Rentt Faina was despite his low rank and low self esteem.

Initially I thought the guild were investigating monster Rentt for doing away with human Rentt and then assuming his identity. Turns out it's a bit more complicated than that. I wonder how far this story thread will be taken before the adaptation finishes.

While Rentt Vivie is on a short sabbatical, his new weapon is ready and he'll have time to test it out. I'm curious to see what he can do with his new weapon.

Nah the Grand Slime was also the boss in both the LN and Manga. spoiler[Fight was a lot more ornate though since we saw the Slime gain it's mass from some large drainage pipes and the whole fight taking place in a wide cave under the moon which is a nother sign that the dungeons are not normal(we also miss Lola be briefly mesmerized by the slimes jiggly cuteness)]

Edit: added spoiler tags. Errinundera
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:40 am Reply with quote
I was kinda wondering if Rina had already been kidnapped when I heard that story about promising rookies disappearing. I've been wondering why she wasn't showing up at the guild or the promotion tests etc.

And is Rentt still considered a promising rookie now that he's bronze?

Also wondering if this contract is going to magically compel the receptionist to start packing her bags and heading toward a country where slavery is legal. I'm picturing a scene where she's doing some paperwork and absent-mindedly says "Go ahead and give that quest to FainaAHHHHK! I mean...I mean....Viviere! (sob) Viviere!"
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:38 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I was kinda wondering if Rina had already been kidnapped when I heard that story about promising rookies disappearing. I've been wondering why she wasn't showing up at the guild or the promotion tests etc.

And is Rentt still considered a promising rookie now that he's bronze?

It's not explicitly said, but not that much time has passed since Rentt was swallowed by the dragon. Rina showed up during his absence, and from this reappearance in town as Undead Rentt to the exam I estimate no more than two weeks have gone by. Undead Rentt getting the invite so soon after registration was on account of his fast completion of the orc meat quest which only bronze adventurers of certain experience could safely complete, prompting Sheila to pass him the invitation thinking he'd go away and prepare for the exam scheduled months after the closest available date. Unlike Rentt, Rina didn't accomplish anything noteworthy since helping Rentt, at least not enough to earn the jealousy of other adventurers to spread rumours about his potential involvement in the disappearances.

Considering human Rentt was at bronze level for years without earning enough credit to be given the opportunity to sit the next promotion exam, undead Rentt might well lose his "promising rookie" title if he sits on his hands for years. If he does accomplish something noteworthy to earn a repeat of his early exam taking, then his reputation as a prodigy will advance, as will the rumours and jealousy which currently dog him.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:09 am Reply with quote

Can one classify this as a filler episode? Possibly, after all it's a one-off to showcase how much stronger Rentt has become since passing the exam and from humble beginnings as a skeleton (and compared to his human form). It is related to the main story though, since Rentt only took on the quest despite his misgivings because he suspected the commission might clear the cloud of suspicion hanging over his head. Not as strong as the preceding arcs, but still entertaining nonetheless.

That said, I did not expect that twist towards the end. Just as the show is about to prove it's more than just a cost-cutting exercise, it turns out the Master is just an illusion and Rentt can clean up off-screen. It's not all Rentt though; having the commission heard in Lorraine's house so that she could give advice and material help proved to be critical in the commission's success. Without the water-walking, Rentt could not have uncovered the illusion which the true culprits were hiding behind.

The animators might cap the number of available enemies to save costs and maintain quality by aiding specialization, that doesn't mean they can't do action scenes entirely. A lot of the action budget was devoted to Rentt testing out his custom-made sword. There might be better series out there for action set pieces, but this studio is new and is focusing on different skills as a foundation for future projects to come. Watching Rentt let rip on tree stumps isn't quite the same as seeing him cleave skeletons and goblins apart, but it certainly does its hardest to impress on viewers how much of a power upgrade Undead Rentt compared to his human form.

With this one-off out of the way, the next episode title suggests there might be one more multi-episode arc to come before the adaptation finishes. After all, Rentt in his current form has to consume Lorraine's blood every so often to keep his base instincts in check. And for next week's episode it's a flower of Dragonsblood. Is that what he needs to evolve?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:06 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, the sword section feels like it was canon content, given that Rent needed a new sword and had ordered one a while ago. As for the village quest, I think that was indeed anime only content. Not bad content mind you, but it felt different compared to what came before. It is also clear that they are making the most out of their limited budget. I suspect next week is time for the mouse/rat with the cape? It has to appear at some point.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope the shrine maiden is filler content, because otherwise it would signal the show entering the OP not troubled by anything but boss monster phase. And I often find shows dieing off in interest in that stage, unless it embraces a kind of camp power fantasy needed to make ridiculous boss fights fun. See DBZ and Solo Leveling. It would be quite a departure from the slow and considered adventures we have had so far.

I notice that the ending sequence has been changing, featuring less of the hero mouse and more of Rentt's encounters with others. I guess my desire to see Rentt have a low stakes adventure with a mouse will go unfulfilled.

*edit* I was wrong about the above sentence. As attested by the next page of the forum.

Last edited by Cryten on Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6