• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Unwanted Undead Adventurer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

I notice that the ending sequence has been changing, featuring less of the hero mouse and more of Rentt's encounters with others. I guess my desire to see Rentt have a low stakes adventure with a mouse will go unfulfilled.

Confirmation bias at full display here. ED stills tied with the song haven't changed at all since episode one. Mouse shows up in the first still with Rentt and the penultimate one with the as-yet unintroduced blond character. Easy for others to check since the song lyrics are synced to the still switchovers.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Well that was not a pleasant way to put it but thank you for the confirmation. You are correct and I erred in my recollection.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:02 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Well that was not a pleasant way to put it but thank you for the confirmation. You are correct and I erred in my recollection.

That's class act stuff right there.

Anyhow, I felt like this episode was a diversion from the main story too, but it was an okay diversion for me. The idea of slavers using illusion magic and a local legend to abduct maidens was a pretty interesting one, and the anime sort of tied it back to the main story by having Rentt investing kidnapping rings in general.

I will say that Rentt must be putting off some pretty serious pheromones if he can go around building a female fan club while wearing a skull mask and talking like someone with a permanent throat cold.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

Can one classify this as a filler episode? Possibly, after all it's a one-off to showcase how much stronger Rentt has become since passing the exam and from humble beginnings as a skeleton (and compared to his human form). It is related to the main story though, since Rentt only took on the quest despite his misgivings because he suspected the commission might clear the cloud of suspicion hanging over his head. Not as strong as the preceding arcs, but still entertaining nonetheless.

That said, I did not expect that twist towards the end. Just as the show is about to prove it's more than just a cost-cutting exercise, it turns out the Master is just an illusion and Rentt can clean up off-screen. It's not all Rentt though; having the commission heard in Lorraine's house so that she could give advice and material help proved to be critical in the commission's success. Without the water-walking, Rentt could not have uncovered the illusion which the true culprits were hiding behind.

The animators might cap the number of available enemies to save costs and maintain quality by aiding specialization, that doesn't mean they can't do action scenes entirely. A lot of the action budget was devoted to Rentt testing out his custom-made sword. There might be better series out there for action set pieces, but this studio is new and is focusing on different skills as a foundation for future projects to come. Watching Rentt let rip on tree stumps isn't quite the same as seeing him cleave skeletons and goblins apart, but it certainly does its hardest to impress on viewers how much of a power upgrade Undead Rentt compared to his human form.

With this one-off out of the way, the next episode title suggests there might be one more multi-episode arc to come before the adaptation finishes. After all, Rentt in his current form has to consume Lorraine's blood every so often to keep his base instincts in check. And for next week's episode it's a flower of Dragonsblood. Is that what he needs to evolve?

For those curious, the entire episode IS canon. The stuff with the sword was important since it shows the various effects that Mana, Spirit, and Divinity can have.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:22 am Reply with quote
Don't know about others, but the episode kind of made me think of The Witcher. A big intimidating swordsman being hired in protection related to a monster acting a small village's deity. I kept thinking along the lines of if it was something like the Witcher 3 would be finding evidence.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:35 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Don't know about others, but the episode kind of made me think of The Witcher. A big intimidating swordsman being hired in protection related to a monster acting a small village's deity. I kept thinking along the lines of if it was something like the Witcher 3 would be finding evidence.

If I had a nickel for every time this episode was compared to The Witcher, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:16 am Reply with quote
While I can agree in part, it wasn't nearly horny enough to be compared to Geralt and his adventures of plowing the fields.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:55 am Reply with quote

If last week felt like a letdown, this week more than makes up for it. At long last the last two characters who feature in the ED stills make their bow, with the rat in particular having a surprising link to Rentt. Although he doesn't qualify for even the lowest classification of vampire, as a Ghast/thrall his blood is enough to convert consumers of it into his kin, even if they're not human. The new follower Edel is a bit too free spirited for a minion, but its animal instincts and ability to use part of Rentt's arsenal pay off at the end.

Also, this week marks the first time all adaptation we viewers finally see a monster type which isn't part of the stock repertoire so far. No idea what archetype this one is based on, but the matchup is good for Rentt once his kin pointed the way forward. Bit more budget on the fight scene as well; the poison gloop looks generic but Rentt's swings are clearly animated and the final denouement felt satisfying.

It's not all action though, there's follow up to last week's adventure and Rentt's two closest female companions discuss their mutual crush. Sheila at last has one thing she has a one up over Lorraine: why Rentt chose to be an adventurer as a career path. We see hints of it in his monologues and that short scene in the OP, but no details beyond that. Sheila may fill Lorraine in, or Rentt will do so using a flashback from his human days.

One thing I noticed: Rentt has never heard of the ailment affecting the sister even though he can use divinity. In his human form he couldn't do much more than preserve foodstuffs from decay, so the sister had a better innate capacity than he did. Conversely she could use more abilities but was consequently more vulnerable to the feedback which Rentt with his then negligible divinity wouldn't suffer from. Now that Rentt is undead, if he does suffer from feedback using divinity in combat he's immune to it because of his undead form. Most likely it's akin to poison which undead as a fantasy trope have effective immunity to in most cases.

That visitor to the flower patch is bad news for Rentt. If he's as strong or stronger than the mysterious elf in the unexplored area, any fight between the two would go badly for Rentt. Fortunately he doesn't appear to be hostile, and the episode title hints he is the next employer with an unusual request. We're running out of airtime, so will this mark the start continuation?) of the last story arc before time is up?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:55 am Reply with quote
Indeed good to finally have mr rat aka Edel join the party. I love how quirky he is, he helps Rentt when needed, but can be real lazy and wild too. Given that Rentt is a tad dry/over serious as a person it will be nice to have Eden provide some humor on adventures. Also nice to visit a new area with some different monsters in it, given the stated price for the flowers it would probably be a good idea to take a few.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Edel is a lovely addition, though I did not see the encounter with him coming. The pictures had me thinking of a adventurer mouse who walks the small nooks and crannies of the dungeons looking for discarded coins. But a mascot and aid is more than welcome.

Rentt certainly seems to be sure that he can handle silver grade tasks solo. And they did give him quite a nice action moment in beheading the Tarasque. A french mythological lion headed turtle of unusual size and ferocity but having bears feet and a serpents tail.

Elf in a field of rare medicinal flowers, rather evocative of forest elves protecting the inner forests that is sometimes a trope of more DnD like adventures. However the silver haired elves come across different to forest elves. They feel more like High Elves or Lord of the Rings Elves in giving off a sense of detachment and etherealness. But that is all just from impressions from our two very brief encounters, what it actually is will be for next week to find out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I got such a kick out of the fact that Rentt made tiny pants and a cape for Edel - and earrings! Laughing I wonder if that was Rentt's idea, or Edel's?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I got such a kick out of the fact that Rentt made tiny pants and a cape for Edel - and earrings! Laughing I wonder if that was Rentt's idea, or Edel's?

Could be Lorraine. After all, Rentt wouldn't bother calling him anything but Blackie, so expending physical and mental effort to make him an outfit would be out of character.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:45 am Reply with quote

Not a lot happening in this episode, since the loose threads from the previous week need clearing up before Rentt can move on to the episode title's mentioned quest. The lack of action doesn't mean it's not fun in its own way, since there are little details in the episode which can pique the interest of attentive viewers.

Isaac wants someone to pick flowers in his stead, and it turns out his liege is highly influential yet keeps an almost invisible profile. For Rentt, getting to the highest rank of adventurer doesn't just require skill, he also needs the coin to go with it for the top-rate equipment any adventurer of that standard deserves. Having a powerful patron who can commission him regularly for good rewards is much better than the daily grind he used to live when he was still human, even if he runs the risk of his secret being exposed.

I actually found the scene featuring the guild's breakup yard entertaining. I initially thought they'd pick an open-air location far from town to do the job, turns out it's purpose-built to house monsters the size of last week's prey. Magic bags of holding are the expected means of transport, which are then released when conditions are ready to allow the experts to begin work. For the adventurers who bring in carcasses with special conditions like poison, the building has the kit necessary to keep guild and adventurer safe.

Closing off the orphanage arc with yet another female admirer of Rentt naturally drives Lorraine insane with jealousy when Rentt in his usual dense manner fails to compliment her when she's patently begging for it. That's quite the wild look on her face, as is the dialogue he somehow managed to improvise on the spot without breathing even once during the long passage.

Rentt's internal monologue regarding his increased strength and abilities is typical of the human Rentt. He's always had his feet planted firmly on the ground and never imagined he'd become this strong. He's also painfully aware his current abilities are thanks to his undead frame, and afraid that if he somehow finds a way to return to being human he loses all of the powerful abilities and improved physical attributes which came with being a monster. So long as he keeps his mindset, there's no fear of him losing sight of who he really is, and with it the support so many of his acquaintances provide because of who he was when he was human.

For his next puzzle, something which doesn't rely on his undead attributes for once. It's down purely to his wits, experience and how quickly he can fathom the tip given to him by the gate guard. Even his magical map won't get him out anyway, so he has to find a way to proceed through the maze and its dead ends without wasting the rest of the day and beyond. Hopefully he won't take too long, since Isaac's request will most likely be the last quest he can undertake and finish before airtime is up.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:20 am Reply with quote
Really good episode that ties up the current requests and sets up the next big job for the Latuule family. As a source reader it's kind of hard to comment since I know what's coming and I don't want to spoil things, but so far the adaptio has been doing a really good job of getting the appeal of the series right.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:53 am Reply with quote
Indeed a great episode, it showcases what kind of adventurer Rentt is and how much of an influence he has on those he meets. I am also increasingly liking Eden for being a lovable yet lazy rogue. As for the Latuule family...I am very unsure if getting involved with them is an opportunity or a curse since he has no way to refuse them and they seem shady as of right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6