• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Unwanted Undead Adventurer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:51 am Reply with quote

It's a strange episode because the structure is very unlike what we've had to date. It's got some action, but the majority focuses on exposition. Specifically the background behind magical artefacts and the labyrinths which can spawn them. It's also odd because the vibe from this episode screams "something huge is going to happen next week", and next week's episode is coincidentally the last episode of the adaptation.

It took Rentt a while and he needed the same hint twice from different people, but he got through in the end. Basically he would have got out faster if he had figured out the maze's teleport dead-alleys, as that would have altered the mental map he was making and made him more aware of specific landmarks throughout the maze. What's interesting is his first encounter with the Latulle head of household, whom he actually lets his guard down and shows his Ghast mouth. She seemed surprised at first, but then carried on as if it was perfectly normal which is telling in itself. The teapot is an interesting example of how even the most niche artefacts can command prices which would make the eyes of even monarchs water.

I did not expect this franchise to have magic-powered airships, but there we go. It seems magic is advanced enough to create the equivalent of Hindenburgs, but not to an exact science. The propulsion system of the original model remains unknown, but Rentt was lucky enough to get it anyway as compensation for the golem mess and as advance payment for the commission (frequent trips to pick up Dragonblood flowers is easy for Rentt now that he's done it once and is aware of the hazards involved). Not enough time to see Rentt put his new toy to the test (it's not in the OP animation), but his chosen reward has featured prominently in the OP and is finally formally introduced.

There's no doubting the authenticity of the vial he's selected, as he instinctively desires it with his uncontrollable bloodlust slowly welling up despite his regular diet of Lorraine's blood. Again, the Latulle family have an interesting relic in their basement of curios. It's not an artefact, yet they kept it in storage despite how heretical it must be to have vampire blood on display. Our host has white hair and suffers from a potent disease which only Dragonblood flowers can temporarily ease, wouldn't it be ironic if she herself was a vampire who needed regular treatment? It would explain why she's so loquacious speaking of the vial of blood Rentt chose, but that's just speculation.

With the finale titled like that, I'm almost certain it's going to be framed around Rentt drinking the vial. If he does transform into a lesser vampire, will he still be Rentt Faina or lose his mind as warned by Laura? The latter would be a shame, as his tale has more to go and it would be a lame ending if it turned out like that. But he's been reflective about his state since episode one and we might well see one final bout of deep introspection before he gulps it down. Lorraine will be around, and assuming he doesn't go insane and attacks her she'll be thrilled to experiment with him after the final transformation of this series.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:21 pm Reply with quote
It almost felt like a mystery episode at some points, a bit of a different vibe than usual indeed, but the episode did provide a lot of interesting information. Given the size of that basement they must have hundreds of magical items, who knows what horrors are on the shelf. As for the young lady, it would seem likely that she is in fact a vampire.

Blood wise, it does not seem like a series to go in a dark direction, but I have been wrong on that count before. I assume that Rentt will simply evolve into some type of vampire, the question is what kind.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, the maze was a little unsatisfying, as it didn't address how Rentt would deal with teleporter traps, just showing he made it past them in the end.

Otherwise it seemed pretty much a straight forward experience of a ominous elder force taking an interest in our hero. It seems we are also firmly on track for climbing power levels now rather then the slower experience of before. We havnt even really seen any labyrinth exploits of ghoul rentt outside of the bronze test, and yet spent far more time with ghoul rather than zombie.

I am a little sad that all the connections Rentt was forming havnt come around into new story. And if Rentt gets to far up the power levels there will be not much room for him to do anything other then impress people how strong he is.

Next episode seems to be heading towards something to do with the overriding game effect on Rentt that is driving him to evolve and possibly harm people.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:56 am Reply with quote
Yah, when Witchykins made that remark about Rentt finally figuring the maze out, I was never convinced that he figured anything out. It seemed to me like he just stumbled through for almost an entire day until he managed to go through the right sequence of teleport areas through persistence and dumb luck.

I'm not sure why this vial of vampire blood is being presented as a McGuffin. It seems to me like Rentt was progressing up the undead food chain just fine, even if he was impatient about how long it was taking. I suppose the dire warnings around the vial do serve to create some dramatic tension. As in, "Hey, audience, stop getting so comfortable with the idea of Rentt being undead, alright? This vampire thing isn't just about him becoming better looking and having some nifty power extras, okay? His predator instincts might get ramped up or something, seriously. We mean it."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:42 am Reply with quote
On the shelf, the vamp blood looked like a generously large perfume vial holding maybe a few sips, like what he has from Lorraine. But when he brought it home to show off, it was more like a carafe, which made me wonder if the source survived the exsanguination.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:51 am Reply with quote
#12 End

The end of this adaptation has a lot in common with how the series started, starting with a low profile and ending with barely any pyrotechnics. It is a nice way to finish, as viewers might remember Rentt setting a target for himself way back when he first returned as a skeleton. Although not a big surprise, the package that comes with his new form means he can now think about getting the mask off. He'll also need to sort out the double registration if and when he does decide to get his mask off.

Funny thing about the adaptation is that the only time we learnt about Rentt the human was way back in episode one. We get development of his personality and character through his adventures, but it is only now we learn the identity of the huge warrior featured in the OP animation and the person who set him on his long career path. With this episode, the only thing I cannot trace in the OP animation are the blue flowers, which might well be a palette swap of the Dragonblood flowers or a detail I missed during the season. They didn't really say who Chinrin was to him, but the official website will probably have her short biography up by next week and that will clarify things for casual viewers. I'm betting on the childhood friend position rather than a blood relative.

If they do continue to adapt this franchise (and I really hope that is the case, I've enjoyed this series a lot this quarter) then there are questions to answer about where that vampire blood came from. Another first for Rentt: he is probably the only specimen alive(?) who has drunk vampire blood, transformed and come out relatively unscathed. The wings are not a problem provided he doesn't strip off his top in public, while the fangs won't be an issue so long as his mask stays on and he doesn't open his mouth too wide when eating (which won't happen either in public). Only his eyes are an issue, since everyone not in his immediate circle and in on his secret will know straight away something is wrong. But he no longer looks like an undead creature to be purged straight away if caught by the authorities. The only downside for him might be the need to sleep again, as he didn't require it in his first three iterations, but he couldn't really do anything useful with the extra time without arousing suspicion so it's probably for the best.

If they do continue to adapt this franchise, more of Lina please. Although she played a crucial role in getting Rentt back into town after his transformation, he didn't get to thank her nor did she make any major reappearances after being abandoned by him at the city gates. She gets even billing with the other two ladies in Rentt's life in the OP animation, so giving her more of the spotlight in future adaptations would even things out for her.

As part of the Narou online light novel stable (with other heavyweights like Tensura as a peer), it's not hard to see how much has been adapted to date because the whole story up to now is available for free on the website (accessible via the adaptation's official website after a few links). Out of the 16 chapters (plus side stories) written to date, the first eight (minus a few chapters) have been animated. So there's enough of a second season, but the franchise has not yet finished and I do not expect this franchise to see another adaptation so soon after this one. Depending on home sales and reception, casual viewers might get lucky and see another adaptation 2-3 years from now after the source material has expanded and there's enough to do another 8 chapters with enough of a gap to the latest material. The adaptation has official backing from its author, so future adaptations shouldn't be a problem with the same team and VAs, provided the money is there to fund another adaptation.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:28 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
#12 End

The end of this adaptation has a lot in common with how the series started, starting with a low profile and ending with barely any pyrotechnics. It is a nice way to finish, as viewers might remember Rentt setting a target for himself way back when he first returned as a skeleton. Although not a big surprise, the package that comes with his new form means he can now think about getting the mask off. He'll also need to sort out the double registration if and when he does decide to get his mask off.

Funny thing about the adaptation is that the only time we learnt about Rentt the human was way back in episode one. We get development of his personality and character through his adventures, but it is only now we learn the identity of the huge warrior featured in the OP animation and the person who set him on his long career path. With this episode, the only thing I cannot trace in the OP animation are the blue flowers, which might well be a palette swap of the Dragonblood flowers or a detail I missed during the season. They didn't really say who Chinrin was to him, but the official website will probably have her short biography up by next week and that will clarify things for casual viewers. I'm betting on the childhood friend position rather than a blood relative.

If they do continue to adapt this franchise (and I really hope that is the case, I've enjoyed this series a lot this quarter) then there are questions to answer about where that vampire blood came from. Another first for Rentt: he is probably the only specimen alive(?) who has drunk vampire blood, transformed and come out relatively unscathed. The wings are not a problem provided he doesn't strip off his top in public, while the fangs won't be an issue so long as his mask stays on and he doesn't open his mouth too wide when eating (which won't happen either in public). Only his eyes are an issue, since everyone not in his immediate circle and in on his secret will know straight away something is wrong. But he no longer looks like an undead creature to be purged straight away if caught by the authorities. The only downside for him might be the need to sleep again, as he didn't require it in his first three iterations, but he couldn't really do anything useful with the extra time without arousing suspicion so it's probably for the best.

If they do continue to adapt this franchise, more of Lina please. Although she played a crucial role in getting Rentt back into town after his transformation, he didn't get to thank her nor did she make any major reappearances after being abandoned by him at the city gates. She gets even billing with the other two ladies in Rentt's life in the OP animation, so giving her more of the spotlight in future adaptations would even things out for her.

As part of the Narou online light novel stable (with other heavyweights like Tensura as a peer), it's not hard to see how much has been adapted to date because the whole story up to now is available for free on the website (accessible via the adaptation's official website after a few links). Out of the 16 chapters (plus side stories) written to date, the first eight (minus a few chapters) have been animated. So there's enough of a second season, but the franchise has not yet finished and I do not expect this franchise to see another adaptation so soon after this one. Depending on home sales and reception, casual viewers might get lucky and see another adaptation 2-3 years from now after the source material has expanded and there's enough to do another 8 chapters with enough of a gap to the latest material. The adaptation has official backing from its author, so future adaptations shouldn't be a problem with the same team and VAs, provided the money is there to fund another adaptation.

I was actually VERY surprised maybe even a little disappointed that they delved into Rentt's past so early since that's not done until a good bit later.

spoiler[They skipped the part where Rentt meets Rina's older brother and subsequently discovering she's a noble daughter from a knightly family that serves the king and his royal court. Her brother is set to inherit the house and position as knight while she was going to have an arranged marriage, but wanted more independence in her life so her brother helps her run away and is now coming back to check on her under the guise of bringing her back(or at least that's how it was presented).

They also skipped some of the lore on the Church that Sister Lilian belongs too as well as the intro of the visiting Saintess and the Imperial Church she serves.

There's also the monster explanations where Rentt fights the orcs as well as an internal monologue I had hoped they'd keep from the LN that got missed in the manga about monsters and monster culture and physiology. Basically after the Tarasque fight, some goblins watch him from a distance scared of him. Rentt then picks up and throws a rock nailing one between the eyes KO'ing it and causing the others to panic and run away falling into the killer fish pond with the other wakimg up and cursing at the sky. Rentt contemplates this and wonders if he's angry at getting hit with the rock, his friends getting killed, or just angry in general. This leads to some thoughts about how there are places where goblins aren't viewed as monsters at all, but as another type of demi-human and peacefully live alongside humanity.
]

As the series progresses, a lot of these start to take on more central role and importance in the story.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:44 am Reply with quote
I always have mixed feelings on making significant story changes when compared to the source material, but in this case it has made for a great final episode. Episode 12 shows very clearly who Rentt is, how his actions effect others and how his wish to become a mithril adventurer came to be. There is something to be said for sticking to the original, you rarely come across a final episode feeling as a more fitting end though, be that until the next season or as a permanent end.

Otherwise it feels like a lot of interesting things are left for a possible second season. There is the dragon and evolution thing, the elf living in the dungeon, that one lady being a vampire or not and even that whole abduction situation has not been resolved yet.

So yeah, given how much of a pleasant surprise the show has been I would be very happy with a second season.
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Aye a nice calm experience for the finale. I do not know how they managed to make a tragic back story a nice calm experience but it never felt entirely terrible, just matter of fact as if rentt was imparting it with his normal calm voice in the retelling. I guess part of that is the op and endings influence on the feeling of proceedings.

I do wish we had got a bit more Rina / Lina, as it feels like Rentt has moved past the point of guardian of the newbies. I think there was more to mine in that area but perhaps that got sacrificed to the efforts of timing the main story line. (or not who knows).

In a future adaptation I would want to both establish Rentt`s capabilities but also establish his limits. Show that there continues to be threats that require the heavily cautious approach of a true adventurer. But as someone who has experienced the infinite spiral of battle shows quite a bit I understand that stories often want to move on quickly to keep entertainment levels up. So wish vs reality who knows what would happen.

Overall I quite liked the series and its more meditative atmosphere. It wont attract a wider audience with its sense of place, and it wont break out into truly interesting literative writing. But it does sit right at the sweet spot for relaxing with moments of mild excitement. And even while it was wish fulfilment fair with most of the ladies taking an interest in Rentt after their encounters, it didn't feel trite like regular harem female characters, instead just indicating as background detail. The conservative animation would normally make it a B minus rating from me but I think because it handled its limited budget so well I will bump it up to a full B grade.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:13 pm Reply with quote
This gets a solid Decent rating from me. I found it to be an enjoyable show without being overly wowed. Certainly don't regret watching it to completion and will return for any future instalments. I'm curious to find out how he's going to deal with a (presumptive) need for blood.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I do hope there is another season or cour. There was some foreshadowing when Shelia was talking to Lina and the other newbies.
As for the scenes in the OP and ED, we have an explanation of all of them except during the ED we see Rentt in what appears to be a cave with buildings behind him.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:25 am Reply with quote
Yah, that was a strong, classy ending. It finally gave some clarity as to why Rentt is so obsessed with becoming a mithril adventurer, added another layer of emotional depth to the relationship of the main leads, left lots of room for a season two but provided closure in case there's only a season one. Did everything but dry the dishes.

This anime had it's own vibe. It didn't go the hack and slashing with lots of betrayal and despair route, and it didn't turn into a neutered, cheaply animated cliche fest where you know everything that's going to happen as soon as you seen the receptionist desk at an adventurer's guild. I liked the show and would gladly show up for a second helping.

Edited to change seen to see just cos it bothered me..

Last edited by Edjwald on Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't noticed before this episode, but why is Rentt's pov vision low res? Have they mentioned this before and it strolled past me?

Anyway, this quickly became one of my favorites in a season packed with amazing series. I hope it's not years if/when they do more. I had to chuckle a bit seeing his restored face, since with the red eyes he now looks like Charles from the Webtoon Vampire Husband. Very Happy
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:20 pm Reply with quote
It was used as a way to indicate whatever systems are controlling his monster urges taking over, getting lower res and most staticy as he gets closer to losing control. Other then that we do not know more in the anime and I do not know the source.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:09 am Reply with quote
I did notice when the static kicked in the first time, but hadn't noticed the faint blurriness before, so I didn't connect it this time. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6