• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I find it hilarious that Mary Sue is getting thrown around for this show. She has died seven times. You expect her not to know what to do after the 7th time she has been killed?

None of y'all would be using this to defend the pig slop that are the isekai power fantasies that have male leads.

Anyway, 7th Time Loop does something different with the villainess plot and I am all for it. villainess anime have gotten stale in record time so they need to start doing something different and having a highly capable lead isn't the worst idea. It lets the show stand on its own feet and we aren't stuck going through the same story beats every single time we get a new villainess show.

Y'all should be more open to praising a show when it does something different in a genre that gets old fast and hard like the villainess genre.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:41 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
None of y'all would be using this to defend the pig slop that are the isekai power fantasies that have male leads.

Congrats, you've just joined Harleyquin as the other poster I won't bother reading again. Do you really think you know the posters well enough to make a completely unfounded and brainless claim like that? Get your head out of your butt and read a bit first before you decide you know what we think. By ignoring Harleyquin, I know I do miss out on some useful posts but I won't have that fear with you. I've read enough of your stuff to know that even though you think your poop doesn't stink and you've got exquisite taste, your opinions are generally banal and your rants utterly unentertaining.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Calm down, guys. It's just anime.

And if/when we get forum upgrades to whatever the next level is, I'm pretty sure Dan mentioned an Ignore option. No need to make a big deal over personal preferences in the meantime.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Ignore function? I don't need no stinkin' ignore function... I got one built in!

And I don't know what you mean by "personal preferences." I couldn't care less about somebody's personal preferences when it comes to anime, but he/she basically accused posters here of being sexist twits. You know, we call Elise a Mary Sue but apparently we'd be totally fine if she was a male lead. Rolling Eyes
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ignore function? I don't need no stinkin' ignore function... I got one built in!

And I don't know what you mean by "personal preferences." I couldn't care less about somebody's personal preferences when it comes to anime, but he/she basically accused posters here of being sexist twits. You know, we call Elise a Mary Sue but apparently we'd be totally fine if she was a male lead. Rolling Eyes

I'm just saying that calling her a Mary Sue isn't criticism. "oh no she's well prepared despite the fact the anime has made it clear that she keeps not escaping the 5 year death cycle" and let's be real and honest here, this forum has had a ton of sexist twits be way more critical of female lead fantasy series than male-led series. no one uses the mary sue term in good faith arguments.

some people in the forums have literally handheld some of the fantasy series with male leads that are in fact crap from this season as "eh this ain't bad" but this one is worse because she is prepared?

If you think I'm assuming y'all are in bad faith, then I'm sorry, but the mary sue argument is not a good way to criticize a show with a female lead. I don't think you were bad or the one with the MHA avatar. My issue is with the guy who said it was such a mary sue thing

Anime is coming out faster and in much more quantity now more than ever, and I think there is nothing wrong with having more standards. I have lamented the fact that I can't get on the level of enjoying "bad" or anime on an ironic level like a lot of y'all can. I want to do that, but when I'm going through 30+ series every three months, it's a much better idea to start being a bit harsher on series that aren't doing much, and looking for anime that are taking steps to be more compelling.

I'm not here to be entertaining. I'm here like the rest just saying how I'm feeling about shows. It's okay to be critical and wanting more from an industry that's killing itself from the inside out and to be a tad more critical of what we get.

But I am sorry it came off more like I was saying everyone in this thread was sexist. Y'all aren't. Maybe a little too forgiving of bad anime, but not the worst ones here except for the individual who said the mary sue one first.

I've seen worse posters here so I'm sorry if my wording unintentionally lumped y'all together.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I for one, am a big fan of ignoring things. Not Blood, who I sometimes think is a kind of a twin and who I'm still trying to prove is the evil one Wink But uncomfortable stuff. Otherwise I pull out the OCD and start doing point by point analyses of what was said, what was really said, what wasn't said, and then people start ignoring me. It's a vicious cycle. So after this, I fully plan to pretend the last few posts and this one never existed.

But for the record, on my second post, I said that the MC had a Mary Sue moment. I gave several reasons why, and then I gave several reasons why I thought this was just a moment and not a big deal, and why I liked the show and the MC.

One of the reasons I gave in defending the MC and the show was that it would be wrong to hold this show to a different standard than I hold some of the other, much worse Isekai I've stuck with. My exact words were: "For one thing, I've honed my BS tolerance with years of watching bad isekai."

Camsey, who was presumably building off a metaphor from another thread where he/she/they called people who like Isekai gluttonous pigs, responded by saying "None of y'all would be using this to defend the pig slop that are the isekai power fantasies that have male leads."

So that happened. .

There was another case where I said the show was pushing reality when the king's carriage showed up out of nowhere. Another poster respectfully pointed out that I might be wrong and gave some reasons why, and after thinking about them, I agreed. I do that sometimes.

But there's obviously a disconnect here, whether its with personalities or approaches or intentions or whatever, and that's not a big deal either.

Now that everyone is gone or asleep, I'm moving on with my regularly scheduled posting.
Wink

Last edited by Edjwald on Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I thought the part on today's episode where the MC pretended to be a normal maid to suss out who was who and what was what was pretty cool. It was like a version of that Undercover Boss show (well, maybe...I've never actually watched it).

Gotta wonder if the prince is under some kind of curse. There's a Beauty and the Beast aspect to this show, although this prince is attractive on the outside and menacing on the inside. And then maybe good under the menacing stuff.

To sort of quote Dr. Horrible "And then, sometimes, there's a third, even deeper layer, that's just like the first layer. Like pie."
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:51 pm Reply with quote
No we will drag this out! a fight to the death!

jk

but again I do apologize, I was in a bad mood and seeing the mary sue comments just makes my eyes roll hard when that gets used because it's always brought up by some incel basement dwellers who hate female characters when no one is going to use gary stu to call out male power fantasies.

You and the other fella are fine. Like I said, I was more just in a bad mood and should have dialed it back a bit.

But yeah I very much enjoyed the new episode as well. Just wish these types of shows had way more likable leads like this show does. Just the simplest aspect of adding a good mystery or some compelling story beats is all it takes. So far at least I haven't seen something where I was like "oh I've seen this before...yawn"
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Yikes, they are laying on the archetypes with a trowel! Redeeming even that cow Diana - nice! Oooo, and starting up a Molly Maid Training School - divine! I found it a bit bizarre that none of the maids knew who she was despite the fact that she attended a ball that introduced her. I guess the Maid Grapevine in that joint isn't too effective. It's clear she's going to the Mistress of every occasion with the exception of falling in love with her future murderer.

[EDIT: Please stop jabbing. -TK]
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I have to say, I thought the part on today's episode where the MC pretended to be a normal maid to suss out who was who and what was what was pretty cool. It was like a version of that Undercover Boss show (well, maybe...I've never actually watched it).

Gotta wonder if the prince is under some kind of curse. There's a Beauty and the Beast aspect to this show, although this prince is attractive on the outside and menacing on the inside. And then maybe good under the menacing stuff.

To sort of quote Dr. Horrible "And then, sometimes, there's a third, even deeper layer, that's just like the first layer. Like pie."

I see where you are coming from with the undercover boss and Beauty and the Beast comparisons. That's pretty much the underlying mystery now. She has to maneuver her way around romancing the villain and see what's truly going on under those lovely blue eyes of his.

A bit funny how we have had two anime with the returning Frieren having some solid and beautiful dance sequences. it doesn't look nearly as good as Frieren's but it is funny how there are two ballroom dances in recent anime releases lol.

Also I think it's fun to see her go undercover and get a lay of the land and the servants that work for her and the male lead. Don't know why people think she's being perfect and miss can do no wrong when she isn't? It's not like she has a one-hit ability that gets her out of the situation since she is just being smart and maneuvering around the current situation. Plus, we are only three episodes in. things can go wrong or we can see the long term effects as time goes on.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:40 am Reply with quote
I can think of the 3rd episode of following through with some of the redeeming villainess sort second chances sort of thing. The most she did with the mean other nobles was take spicy drink without showing that it got to her. When she was picking her maids she took an among them approach to find those that she liked, and took the sort of mean treatment Diana and found a place better for her that raised everyone.

I guess we didn't really see it, and although it was fake rumours that Rishe was super mean, but perhaps there is some inference that she kept some level of brattiness from being a person of privilege who lost everything. She has first hand experience of wanting to change while also some growing pains and some elements pride, and while she is past probably a lot of it she does sympathise with other girls. She wouldn't want to do the exact same thing her ex-fiancé tried to pull in publicly embarrassing her. Rishe knows it isn't something she wants to do.

Going further, I might even think that there is some hints of gender inequality in the setting, with women being lower in the social hierarchy on average. She doesn't make it a major part of her personality, but it fits the sort of thing I have heard of about women building themselves up without tearing others down, which she did even in the first episode to the girl that made up the lies about her. She knows that they are in positions where they might have to act certain ways from pressures and feel worthwhile, and leads by her own experience with empathy and self empowerment.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:01 am Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
A bit funny how we have had two anime with the returning Frieren having some solid and beautiful dance sequences. it doesn't look nearly as good as Frieren's but it is funny how there are two ballroom dances in recent anime releases lol.

I'm waiting impatiently for the dance scene between Kyou and Anna that's teased in the OP for the current season of Dangers in My Heart (aka "BokuYaba").
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I almost skipped this one because of the Villainess label, but I'm glad I didn't, since this is in no way a viillainess series, except for the brief moment where the kingdom believed the lies about her. Anyway, I'm enjoying it immensely.

I don't think Arnie is cursed, I think he's also looping, and for whatever reasons he keeps assassinating his father and starting a war, he's looking for a way off that path. Anyway, I'm here for whatever is going on. Smile

I too am looking at 36 series this season, with Saturday being ridiculous with 12 dropping. Fortunately Mon and Tues are barren, so I get caught up then.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Awright, a fellow 36er!!!

*fist bumps Gina*

I thought I had it tough with 8 shows on Saturday but you make me look like an anime slacker...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't think Arnie is cursed, I think he's also looping, and for whatever reasons he keeps assassinating his father and starting a war, he's looking for a way off that path. Anyway, I'm here for whatever is going on. Smile

I'll tell you why I like that idea...I've been trying to figure out why the closing piece shows Arnie and Rishe together as children for multiple scenes. If we assume that they both keep going back in time, that could kind of be a sideways clue.

I'll also tell you why I resist the idea a little bit. The implication that Arnie remembers killing our MC in the previous incarnation seems a bit odd. He's always seemed so surprised and delighted by her unexplained skills...but I guess he could be suspecting that she's a regressor like him and probing around.

Or...maybe it could be both? When he asked "You're thinking of someone else aren't you?" it could be implying that he's trying to avoid being possessed or that there's an evil twin or doppelganger or something like that. Something to do with that sketchy dude lingering under the balcony.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3