• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:03 am Reply with quote

(The) Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 18 volumes, by Sawayoshi Azuma)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Children's Playground Entertainment, Gaina

Genres: comedy, romance, supernatural

Themes: angels, demons, mythology, school

Plot Summary: Determined to protect his demon world from heavenly angels, demon Masatora Akutsu heads to earth in search of a charismatic human to rally his kin. Masquerading as a high schooler for his recruitment mission, he’s captivated by the lovely Lily Amane. But he’s in for a wild celestial surprise, because she’s his archnemesis—an angel—and she’s set on reforming his demonic ways.

Air Date & Platform:
January 8, 2024 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I chuckled. In places. It's kinda cute. Not dropped, but not circled in red in my calender, either. We'll see.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:34 am Reply with quote
Ewww, not really feeling this one, it is pretty high on the to drop list right now.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:51 am Reply with quote
It's unfortunate because this show had some energy and it's own identity, but it's not my cup of coffee.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:16 pm Reply with quote
This show reminds me a bit of Kaguya-sama: Love is War except way, way, WAY less funny. Still not quite prepared to give it the heave-ho just yet, bit it's definitely on probation.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:10 am Reply with quote
Ewwww, I can kind of see it, though Kaguya-sama is high on my list of all time best romance anime while this one is not at all. It has some funny and charming moments I suppose, but nothing is making an impression on me.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I find it funny how this is one of the shows making y'all go ew (understandably so), but I make a big deal out of a sloppy poorly made isekai and y'all are like "oh calm down"

Like, this isn't good, but why the "ewwwww" here when this just seems like a wonky comedy? What makes this worse than a poorly made isekai that is soulless and just nothing more than pig slop?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:01 pm Reply with quote
That ewwww is in regards to the comparison between Kaguya and this. I really love Kaguya and some of its episodes are the best romance/jokes I have seen, so the comparison to Foolish Angel which is neither good nor bad kind of has me a tad shocked. Maybe I should avoid/clarify the ewwww, because I do not use it to indicate disgust, but rather feeling conflicted about something.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:07 pm Reply with quote
To be clear, I don't think this is good nor do I think it's anything similar to Kaguya Sama, but the only reason I see why people would have an issue here is the power dynamic that would be looked down upon if the roles were reversed.

I just think this one getting a bigger reaction over others is funny.

I get the idea around this show. it's just not funny nor is it as compelling as it could be. It at least has an idea of how to stand out unlike so many shows this season or any season.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:30 pm Reply with quote
There is some truth to that, the jokes do not resonate with me and the characters feel rather one note as of now, adding to that the whole enslavement thing which has never been a thing I have been all that into as a gimmick (on either gender to be clear). That said, without the enslavement thing I do not really have much of note to say about the show, it is an okay romance anime with a angel/demon conflict.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:52 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:
...nor do I think it's anything similar to Kaguya Sama...

Where I noted a similarity was in the second half of the second episode where each combatant was attempting to do things that would make the other go, "squuuueeee!!!" The subtitles even used the phrase "cold war" and the visuals represented the contest as a boxing match. I think the devil and angel's attempts to make the other go, "squuueeee!!!" is reminiscent of the leads in Kaguya-sama doing things in an attempt to make the other confess first.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Where I noted a similarity was in the second half of the second episode where each combatant was attempting to do things that would make the other go, "squuuueeee!!!" The subtitles even used the phrase "cold war" and the visuals represented the contest as a boxing match. I think the devil and angel's attempts to make the other go, "squuueeee!!!" is reminiscent of the leads in Kaguya-sama doing things in an attempt to make the other confess first.

Ah! I see. it's been a hot minute since I have seen kaguya sama so I wasn't picking up on the similarities, but that makes sense with the comparisons then.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I almost dropped it after the first episode, still might, didn't like the SNM crap at the end of the first episode, glad the collar is gone.

But what we have is super natural Love is War, I guess that is better than what was implied at the end of the 1st episode, still Love Is War is better.

Okay I will give it one more episode see where it goes.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Now episode 3 I liked a heck of a lot more than the previous two. This is mainly due to the side characters and the fun interactions they have with the mc's. Be it the frenemy situation with a lot of jokes/jabbs of the girls or the romance talk of the boys, it is a lot of fun. Seems like I enjoy the series more with less 1 on 1 time of the mc's?
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I like the new characters, I like how the poke the ridiculousness of female frenemy relationship.

Perhaps the angel will learn to care about humans, For the side that is suppose to protect humans, the angels seemed the most hostile towards humans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3