• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:45 pm Reply with quote

(The) Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 11 volumes, written by Honobonoru500, illustrated by Nama)

Demographic: Shoujo

Animation Studio: Studio Massket

Genres: adventure, fantasy

Themes: isekai, reincarnation

Plot Summary: Young Ivy can't catch a break. Though she has a few memories of her past life, she was reborn into an RPG-like world in the weakest class, and worse, as the weakest rank. As a no-star Tamer, even her parents want nothing to do with her, and she soon realizes she must survive on her own.

She learns to live off the land and salvage what she can from other people's leavings. But when Ivy manages to tame Sora, a lowly slime, everything changes for both of them. There's something special about this frail little monster, and Ivy's care will bring out the best in both of them.

Air Date & Platform:
January 12, 2024 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:43 am Reply with quote
This is another anime that I only tried in order to make sure that I didn't miss something, and holy crap, was I surprised to find out that I loved it. Maybe it was a combination of getting up early and drinking hot coffee snugly wrapped up in a blanket while an icy wind rages outside the house, but this anime kind of had a studio Ghibli vibe for me. Y'know, those visually beautiful anime that can spend most of the time with a youngster exploring a magical world while saying things that are both simple and profound. Not only did I not get bored, I found myself with a real emotional investment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:08 am Reply with quote
Damn your eyes, Edjwald. I had planned to skip this one but now I gotta sample it. You'd better hope I hate it! Wink
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, they did a great job crafting a visually beautiful and interesting world that can also be really harsh. I like that although the start is anything but happy they did not revel in the sadness. No ghastly flashbacks for most of the episode or such, instead the mc is the type to make the most of things and not give up, making it feel like a story of hope rather than another story about how dark/mean the world is. It is also one of those rare fantasy anime that has a lowkey setting, no dragon busting or demon lord hunting this time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

It took him a while, but Edjwald finally got his revenge for me getting him to watch Otaku Elf. Wink

Yeah, this is an adorable show edged with sadness that makes me a bit nervous for my delicate, maiden heart going forward. Not that I think any true harm will come to Ivy but I don't like the thought of her having to encounter meanness. By the way, pro-tip: if you want to disguise yourself as a boy, cutting your hair is a good first step, but then maybe not pull it back in a pony tail? Plus, maybe choose a slightly more macho name than Ivy? Just trying to be helpful here. Anyway, looking forward to the further adventures of our cute little dumpster diver and her fragile slime.

And Crunchyroll... if it's not asking too much, any chance you can make sure next week you actually have the subbed episode and not just dubs? I had to find the subbed version... else where.

And I may have got sucked into trying this one out, but I absolutely REFUSE to sample that hot springs isekai, okay!?! I don't care HOW glowing a review Edjwald gives it, I'm drawing a line in the sand!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 1 It took him a while, but Edjwald finally got his revenge for me getting him to watch Otaku Elf. Wink

What's scary is that I actually thought this when I read your first post Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I have rarely seen an anime where I'm this protective and this anxious about the fate of the protagonist. It's because this anime is kind of weird...it's got one of the cutest, sweetest MCs around, but unlike most cutesy anime where you never really feel any tension, this one has plopped our MC right in the middle of a world that seems unfair, uncaring, and hostile. It's like watching a puppy make its way through an alligator pit.

And no, I'm not talking about the cliffhanger because I think we all know how that's going to turn out.

(But after the MC pulls her bloody arm stump back and smashes the slime she thought she could trust to death, then what...)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

A puppy in an alligator pit... yep, that pretty much sums up the emotional tenor of this show. I gotta say this particular world is pretty demented in its pursuit of humans born without stars to go with their skill. And like Edjwald, I too wonder how a one-handed Ivy is gonna get along from here on in... and she'll have to find a new monster to tame to boot. Really didn't see Sora's evil treachery coming, that's for sure.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:56 am Reply with quote
There are a lot of shows/stories like this one in regards to people being utterly fanatical to a certain ranking system. Be it a particular kind of crest, eyes or even lines such as in Mashle. Because of the world she lives in Ivy is better off living in the wild as much as she can, otherwise she will meet some more zealots eventually.
T3rmidor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:32 am Reply with quote
Pick up this anime with not very high expectations but damn...it definetly passed the 3 episode rule pretty well. I look foward to see how it develops, I think it may shape up being my most liked isekai of the season (perhaps bc the isekai elements seem superflous rigth now? Really feels like the story so far could have been straigth up, honest to god fantasy)
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:55 pm Reply with quote
This show is so damn emotionally bruising that it gets a bit hard to watch, much more so than some Kingdom Ruins type anime with horrific $h!+ happening every 15 seconds (. That one was hard to watch just cos I stopped caring). Anyway, I wasn't ready for a flashback episode with more heartbreak and more adults behaving badly. I have rarely wished more for some kind of Death Note super power where I could make anime characters drop dead just by looking at a television screen. How about, get Ivy to a place where she gets some solid ground under her feet and meets a few people who aren't threatening her, and then flash back for more grimness?

Even though this show came out of nowhere for me, and I'm not even it's target audience, it's easily one of the best shows of the season in my books.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Yep, this show was specifically designed to torture tender-hearted saps like us, Edjwald. I think they laid it on a little thick, though. I'm not really buying that Ivy's dad went from seemingly normal to virtually psychotic at the drop of a hat. Really? You're gonna turn on your adorable 5-year-old daughter like that just because she has no stars. No questioning that maybe a mistake has been made? Nope, just right to, "get out of here, scum!"

I was also confused by the scene where Ivy is finding out what her skill is and how many stars it has. If you look at the 9:44 minute mark of the episode, you can clearly see three, yellow, glowing globes inside the globe of water. Doesn't that mean she has three stars? Is it possible that the priest deliberately is claiming she has no stars for some reason? I guess we'll find out as time goes by. But we already know her tamer skill can't suck that badly because she tamed an incredibly fragile slime and has been able to keep it alive. Methinks I smelleth a rat...
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone remembers Kotoura-san's first episode, but that's the vibe this episode gave me.

I think there's a good chance that she has plenty of stars, though it feels like a cop-out, and would basically reinforce the idea that no-star people are not worthwhile.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:26 am Reply with quote
I don't really know what to make of the stars, but I've got a couple of observations and speculations about that Cotton Mather like priest. I wasn't going to go into them yet because it's all pretty nebulous and iffy.

For example, he might have made that magic appraisal spell burst to conceal something rather than it being unstable because of the MC. .

He probably killed the fortune teller, although it's a Japanese Anime, and it said she died of a cold, so that possibility 'can't be ruled out...

When he mentioned that the MC was the cause of a curse, the very next scene showed the villagers transformed into dark silhouettes with red lights in place of their eyes. That might just be artistic license, but there really might be a curse in effect, and the MC is probably a possible cure for it rather than a cause.

But even if none of that is true, yeah, something's rotten in the state of Starter Village A.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4

I was told there would be no math... Evil or Very Mad

Not sure why she's so concerned about not having any potions for herself when she knows Sora can heal her just fine with all the potions it's been storing up.

And jeez, I thought she had a lot of bags in the first episode... Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6