• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Lucky for our heroine she lives in an isekai where people throw out some pretty useful "garbage." Not to mention living in an isekai where apparently by law every village and town has to start with the letter L. Yeah, I had the same thought, Gina... Sora is basically a big ole healing sponge so what's the big?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:13 am Reply with quote
I've been wondering about what kind of medieval economy produces trash heaps full of somewhat usable magic bags and potions too. At the very least, you'd think glass vials would be valued.

I've also been wondering if our MC is going to have to become an alchemist or an alchemist's floor sweeper in order to keep feeding that little potion pig.

But hey, maybe this is all leading up to the anime taking an unexpected twist and having our MC ultimately find success by starting a much needed medieval Goodwill?

Is she really moving on to another town? I'm kinda hoping that the adventurer's guild will become a safe harbor like the one in that The Great Cleric anime. Maybe she could become an adventurer if the slime has evolved an innate healing ability and isn't just expelling healing potions that it's taken in...a kind of potion pisser.

The bedtime story she told the slime was obviously taught to her by the fortune teller and is relevant to whatever background story is going on with the evil village priest, but the jigsaw pieces still haven't all come together. But this bit about a girl from another world who's the only one who can use a certain type of magic is obviously a corner piece.

(And not that this is at all relevant...but I would've bet my little toe that some bandit or bounty hunter was going to open that bag trying to steal from her and get bitten by the poisonous snake)
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I got a good laugh over Sora refusing to eat his meal in the ending sequence, as the pure healing potion started showing up from the bag.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:14 am Reply with quote
So it looks like Ivy is beginning to flex those tamer muscles that she's not supposed to have. Sora is all but confirmed as a souped up healing gel, and that big cat looks like it would be pretty good on offense. Granted, Ivy and Mr. Purryfurkins (I can't remember the name she gave the big cat...it had something to do with sky and looked like ceiling?) didn't form a blood contract or whatever, but they seem to have a real bond. Now if only it could get to a point where Ivy could ride the big cat into town so that she didn't have to worry about douche bags...

I'm curious about what's going on back in Curseville. I'm sure the priest is behind it, and I'm sure he's blaming it all on Ivy through some kind of twisted non-logic, but all that talk about things being tough back in starter village A suggest that it's not going away as a central plot point.

And I forget which anime or web novel first brought this up, but we have another example of adventurers not being much different from carnies in that the majority are basically travelling types who live hand to mouth and don't get a lot of societal respect. It's a dangerous job with no health insurance that draws in a lot of sketchy types as well as hopefuls with big dreams. Kind of like how for every celebrity who earns big bucks and gather fans, there are thousands of desperate actors working part-time jobs in the service industry.

Still loving the show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Mr. Purryfurkins (I can't remember the name she gave the big cat...it had something to do with sky and looked like ceiling?)

Sooo close. Ciel. As in L'Arc~en~Ciel. French for "rainbow" or "arch in the sky."

I dunno, for someone who otherwise seems pretty clever, she's being awfully dense about the potions and Sora. After seeing it heal the nearly dead Purryfurkins, you'd think she'd get a clue that it's the magic bag of potions. She's been feeding it junk - what could it do with the good stuff?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Gina Szanboti"]
Edjwald wrote:
I dunno, for someone who otherwise seems pretty clever, she's being awfully dense about the potions and Sora. After seeing it heal the nearly dead Purryfurkins, you'd think she'd get a clue that it's the magic bag of potions. She's been feeding it junk - what could it do with the good stuff?

I wonder how Slimes reproduce. Do they just split up through some kind of cell division, or do slimes get...ummm...slimy?

Just saying, if Ivy could breed slimes that could reproduce potion effects *and* scrub floors, *and* exfoliate the skin, she'd be set for life.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:31 pm Reply with quote
She needs to hook up with Ryoma from By the Grace of the Gods. I'm sure he could give her lots of useful tips on slime breeding. From what I recall, they're usually kinda like bacteria, though they can join up to make giant slimes on command. Their functions are at least in part determined by what they eat, I think. At least in Ryoma's world. He had a slew of different kinds, and hundreds of them altogether.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Yah, that Graced by the Gods anime was probably the definitive one when it came to theorizing about slime traits and ecologies. The only other anime I can think of that came close was the I Killed Slimes for 300 years one. The Reincarnated as a Slime show had Rimeru pulling off all kinds of stuff as a slime, but that was because of his special circumstances.

Not sure the idea that all slimes can evolve according to what they ingest would be an easy fit in the context of this anime though, or why would Ivy's slime be such a rare one? (I'm pretty sure it's a rare one?) Maybe it would work if there are all kinds of slime varieties in this world and we just haven't seen them yet.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, they'd be rare since they don't usually live more than a day or so, so they probably don't get a lot of chances to ingest potions of any kind. Sora is only alive because Ivy took care of it, which people normally don't do. Even tamers apparently don't bother with the super(cala)fragile(istic) ones like Sora.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:44 pm Reply with quote
And Sora's slime type was listed as the weakest varient of the weakest species a tamer can tame. IE generally no one would want to tame one, even if they happened to find one in the minutes before they where destroyed by an average breeze.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:55 am Reply with quote
So only the rare ones evolve into slimes with special abilities from ingesting stuff? That could work. Now if Ciel starts pooping out more siblings/kids/clones, Ivy will be set.

I find that I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about ways Ciel could secure a stable, safe future in this anime world...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Ciel is Purryfurkins. Sora is the slime. Clearly you have been skylarking too much.

I'll see myself out...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ciel is Purryfurkins. Sora is the slime. Clearly you have been skylarking too much.

I'll see myself out...

That's why I shouldn't drink and network drive...
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6
A bittersweet tale this episode, of friends found but also creeping fear and departures. Furrykins Ciel is showing her/him self as both a loyal and strong guardian out in the wilds. If Ivy gave Ciel a blood contract I am sure it would work, she has a loyal friend regardless.

I am curious about the reports out from Latomi that it does not mention the 1 thing that torments Ivy, that she is a 0 star skill holder. Perhaps there is some serious repercussions in the administration of these lands for villages and towns failing to deal with 0 stars. So the ever prideful mayor of Latomi refused to report his own failure and listed her as a 1 star. Or even wanted to avoid admitting that a 0 star existed.

I am also curious about how the registration magic identified Ivy as Ivy. Perhaps it was simplifying paperwork scene to have it appear instantly as magic, but if it isnt then it suggests that people who identify under a certain name cause the registration magic to select that name, regardless of official registration of citizens that this country seems to have.

On the more meta scale I am now wondering what Ivy's battle power would be. Considering she has a mostly tamed epic beast and a healer slime. She is certainly making a name for herself as an accidental criminal incident reporter.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that Ivy is probably a 4 star tamer but the priest either screwed up or lied on purpose for some reason. I'm not sure why she wants to continue travelling. The fortune teller told her to go to that town near the royal capital UNLESS she found people she could trust/like, then she should do what she liked. Seems she has a pretty sweet set-up where she is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6