• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:28 am Reply with quote
Not to fall too deep to copaganda, but I had the good feeling of the guard since he was so scary looking in the previous episode, and I love him and all the other guards giving her friendly welcomes. So much that it sounded like a rumour she was an illegitimate child, which he laughed with. I suppose she was so traumatized by her family on a dime turning on her, that she was worried they would too.

And at the end the guards had clearly looked into her background, which of course her name wouldn't show up, but point to one girl of her age running away, question whether there are still bounty hunters after her.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:38 am Reply with quote
Ivy is a smart girl. On top of her own fear of discovery of her wanted status she knows it is possible that officials are most likely to have to enforce her execution. It is quite possible they would try to keep her secret but it would be defying their duty.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:30 am Reply with quote
It hasn't been confirmed that there's some official policy to kill no stars or put them in concentration camps or something has there? If there was, wouldn't the priest have done it right away instead of starting a campaign and using the fortune teller's death as an excuse?

In any case, I too, think there's something sketchy about the way that priest banished that little assessment bubble while Ivy's stars were doing something weird. And it should have something to do with the same reason he felt compelled to get rid of the fortune teller, whether that reason is his crazy ego or some kind of curse or conspiracy or prophecy or whatever. I'm thinking the capital or the oft mentioned city next to it is where that piece of the puzzle will fall into place since the fortune teller brought it up.

I was also hoping Ivy would stay in Thirdia, or whatever the name of the place with the friendly guards is. And while I was at it, I was hoping Ciel would be a little less gentle with the thug party.

Coupla things I'm wondering:

If some of the other villagers and families have spread out, is Ivy going to meet some of them?

If there are official tamers, would it really be impossible for Ivy to walk around with Cieil, or is that more somewhat skewed thinking caused by her youth & inexperience & trauma & weird background? Cos it seems to me that a tamer walking around with a badass monster acting like a cute kitten would banish some of that no star nonsense right off the bat.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:49 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
In any case, I too, think there's something sketchy about the way that priest banished that little assessment bubble while Ivy's stars were doing something weird. And it should have something to do with the same reason he felt compelled to get rid of the fortune teller, whether that reason is his crazy ego or some kind of curse or conspiracy or prophecy or whatever.

First, although they sound very much alike, I don't think the priest is the village leader. The former had longer, gray hair, while the latter's is short in the back, has that massive forelock over his eye, and is blond. Second, it was my possibly misguided impression that the priest didn't rig the assessment, it was just that trope where her powers were immeasurable by that method and exploded the bubble. The priest was confused that proper stars weren't forming, but there were only 3 of the squiggly balls, so if they were in process of becoming stars, that's hardly overpowered and wouldn't have exploded.

I think the village leader just saw his chance to get rid of the old lady who was more respected than he was and maybe he feared she'd out some secret corruption he was up to.

While I think it could be convincing to have Ciel travel with her, she's a terrible liar and he doesn't have her taming mark on his forehead, so she might be accused of witchcraft again since she can't prove she legit tamed him. Cause she hasn't. Not sure if it's because she can't, or just assumes she doesn't have the energy needed to do it. She didn't actually try...

I thought mechanics of the blood ID seemed ill-thought out. Like it knew her alias and origin but not her real name or sex? Seems like with magic, you could learn a whole lot about a person through their blood. Apparently not in this world.

She had to move on because there's still a bunch of people in the promo art she hasn't met yet. Wink
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:22 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
First, although they sound very much alike, I don't think the priest is the village leader.

Oh, did I conflate two jerkwads? In either case, I still haven't figured out if I lean toward bias and incompetence or conspiracy as a motive for Ivy's treatment. You might be right about the weird assessment bubble. It happened pretty quick and was a bit ambiguous.

The things that strike me as odd are

(1) the prophecy that Ivy told lil slimy (Are you sure I can't just call everything Ciel?) which seems to indicate a much bigger picture.

(2) The fortune teller's conviction that Ivy was going to have to leave and that she would be pursued (although she was a fortune teller, so maybe it was just plain old precognition).

(3) the village chief's over the top hysteria. If he didn't banish the assessment test intentionally, and the village chief was all about eliminating threats to his authority, why would he go after a lil no star? Even if it was just a chance to band people together against the weak, isn't hiring bounty hunters to go after someone who was no longer any kind of presence or threat to his authority a bit much? Granted, if he's insane, logic might not have much to do with it.

(Have fence, will sit)

Ciel.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I would remind you all how Ivy's (Femicia's) family immediately turned on her over her assessment. With only the Mother showing some concern. The mayor may of used circumstance to his own benefit but the treatment was institutional enough to turn family on each other. It wasnt Ivy's treatment that divided the town, a lot of people where on board for lynching her, it was the treatment of the fortune teller that did that, as she was their security in the farthest reaches of this country.

And it is clear that the world has some very strong ties to its institutionalised religion given how each city is named after the same figure. It is quite possible that the fervor for the religion blunts itself in larger populations but to my mind this setting is indicating a religious country leadership, centered around player skills. A post isekai if you will.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Gina, I don't know what your employment situation is but you may want to consider cutting back your hours since you are starting to discover - as I did - that correcting Edjwald is pretty much a full time occupation. And the REAL kicker of it all is that you'd think he'd be grateful for the thorough and considerate pointing out of his myriad errors, but no. Why, just the other day, after (for the millionth time) I went to the trouble of dismantling a typically spectacular misinterpretation on his part, he had the temerity to savagely call me a Super Sexy Slander Bandit (or something like that, those may not have been his *exact* words). Yeesh.

@ Cryten - absolutely. Ivy's world is definitely a messed up place.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:25 am Reply with quote
Cryten - just to be clear, I fully agree that the society is obviously prejudiced against no-stars. The thing I was questioning was whether there were laws about executing them. It might be that the village head is putting out private bounties on Ivy because he doesn't want people to know he failed to kill her. But it might also be that he's putting out private bounties because the capital won't put out wanted posters just because someone in a no-star.. I don't know that the town guard would be ordered to execute Ivy if they found out about her. It's possible, but personally, I think the worst case scenario is that the village situation is more like the Salem witch trials. A local place taking existing prejudices to insane levels. As far as I know, the United States per se wasn't putting out wanted posters on witches, or killing people that Cotton Mather reported. Maybe some of that will clear up when we find out about the church's official position on no-stars and the state's official position on no-stars and how they line up.

I also think it's possible that the priest lost control of the assessment spell, but it's also possible that he terminated it because he didn't like what he was seeing. This is what I meant by my "Have fence, will sit" sign off.

Blood. I don't remember assigning any adjectives to the term slander bandit, but if I did, I'm pretty sure the adjective had an "ass" suffix. Y'know, like silly-ass . Wink And I'm sure Ciel...I mean, Gina...realizes that trying to correct all my mistakes wouldn't be a full-time job, it would be a lifetime commitment, probably a commitment to an insane asylum.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:23 am Reply with quote
It's rather shocking how good the fantasy series are this season. Usually, the fantasy genre is full of the most mediocre shows of the season with maybe a good show or two if we are lucky.

This is another example of a team of creatives who had the time to craft the experience and focus on a good story and character development. It's not just another boring fantasy series. It's amazing what happens when you actually build up your characters and not just focus on flashy action and harems.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:23 am Reply with quote
Well, I've already forgotten the name of the adventure party and I'm too lazy to look it up, but maybe Ivy has finally found a place to stay? It's a little strange, but now I'm actively hoping that (A) one of these cool people will get horribly hurt so that Ivy will be forced to reveal her...saint slime? Surgeon slime? Soothing slime? It's harder coming up with a catchy, alliterative name for Sora than I thought. Or (B) Ciel will have to come out of hiding to save Ivy in front of the adventuring party and they'll see Ivy's potential and the big cat will be able to hang out with Ivy full time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I'm just going by memory here, but I believe the name of the party is Blazing Sword. Kinda like Blazing Saddles, but not. Yes, they look like a good bunch for Ivy to hang out with but I get the sense this show is more invested in seeing her travel around on her own (not counting tamed minions like Sora and Ciel). By the way, it just occurred to me that both those names mean "sky" just in different languages. I think Ivy needs to up her naming game a bit.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Ivy certainly seems to run into a lot of kind hearted people in authority. It seems to tie in to the theme of fatherly care for young ones, as we see very little of people distrusting strange homeless kids. With everyone instinctively becoming protective or at least helpful for Ivy.

Quite the contrast from episode 3 and the ease in which her home village turned abusive of her. With the only other adversity being the criminals that where immediately handled. Overall it gives the series a very safe, homely feel that was very much on display for the food and fireworks of the second half of the episode.

I am now unsure how the series wants to approach its religion. As it seemed to indicate that Ivy has an inbuilt phobia of not appearing useful. Creating an inference of harmful upbringing despite episode 3 showing a somewhat happy home life before her exile.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:27 pm Reply with quote
@ Cryten - you are quite right to point out that Ivy does not seem to lack for allies but one of the things that stresses me out about the show is that it does not shy away from putting her in danger, either. Her encounter with the ogres reminded me of what a dangerous world she inhabits. Call me a softie, but I wouldn't be adverse to the show pulling back on the threats to her for an episode or two.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:35 pm Reply with quote
@Blood On a meta level I do not think that is what the show wants. It wants to stimulate the protect instinct and for that you need danger, credible danger. But on a personal level I would like a story that dosnt have danger that needs protecting from. Something a bit more human, like getting to know some other kids, learning to deal with people who might not offer the best deals for her work or exploring the story of some people who are not Ivy could work.

I do not think the show is above down time. The second half was almost entirely about relaxing after the threat of the Ogres.

*edit* I wonder if the production is suffering or they are taking an easier episode. As there was quite a few odd shots in this episode. In particular Ciel and the Ogre being invisible when dropping into water, Ciel often being off model and the moon scene not even having the clouds move. I hope things hold together.

Episode 8: I was really happy seeing Ivy share with the people of Blazing sword, that left me feeling quite pleasant at the end of the episode. A truly monumental moment going from too hurt to trust to finding people to put your confidence into. Still hoping Ciel will be officially tamed some time soon.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:07 am Reply with quote
8 episodes in, and I've started telling myself that potions go bad after the first time someone cracks the seal/unstops the lid. People don't need to drink the whole potion to get the effect, and if they don't have cause to use a potion in the next couple of days, it starts to lose efficacy and risks making the user sick. Ciel...I mean Sora! Sora! Doesn't have to worry about that.

That was a lot of mental revolutions, but when Ivy found a mother lode of leftover potion bottles at the beginning of episode 8, my left eyelid didn't develop a slight tic.

[quote="Cryten:] Still hoping Ciel will be officially tamed some time soon.[/quote]

Me too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6