• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

*casually adopts Edjwald's potion theory so doesn't lose mind at the potion throw outery element of show*

And apparently, potion bottle recycling has not caught on in this world, yet. Anyway, I'm still kind of hoping it turns out that Miss Meela is not a baddie after all despite Sora's reaction and other suspicious things. Geez, I'm just not picking up any villainess vibes from her at all! Such is the fate of a pure-hearted innocent like myself...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:24 am Reply with quote
I think the potions go bad after a time whether they're opened or not. Most of the bottles she finds are full, "full" apparently being to the <--> level of the vial. I don't recall ever seeing even the coveted full-strength bottles filled to the stopper.

If Meela and bros are secretly trying to infiltrate the slavers to get evidence, then maybe Sora's reaction had to do with her treatment of her own slimes as commodities.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:18 am Reply with quote
Or... maybe Sora is just a big old liar who should just keep its big trap shut, amirite??? Stitches for snitches...
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:35 pm Reply with quote
With Meela I did notice that whenever she is in a conversation, that isnt reminiscing about the past, she is talking about value. The way her rare slimes give her access high value clients and nobility, the money that a disintegrating slime would fetch.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:41 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think the potions go bad after a time whether they're opened or not. Most of the bottles she finds are full, "full" apparently being to the <--> level of the vial. I don't recall ever seeing even the coveted full-strength bottles filled to the stopper.

Welp, a lot of products in our world are designed to start falling apart as soon as the warranty wears off or the car payments are finished, so I don't see why a potion industry couldn't have a planned obsolescence scheme going.

And while we're using mental duct tape to patch over some stuff, let's just assume that it might be a pain to safely use the bottles once they were tainted by these potentially toxic potions too...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:07 am Reply with quote
I'm sure this is reflecting my own biases, but it's sort of how I see a trial in the court of public opinion involving Meela the tamer would go:

PROSECUTOR: Ladies, Gentlemen, and others of the jury, I present to you that witness' Szaboti's testimony that Sora might be reacting to the tamer being a "double agent" infiltrating a human trafficking ring is possible, but has there been any indication of it? After all, it's also possible that the children are being abducted by aliens in a hitherto unsuspected genre mash-up. Does being possible constitute being likely?

It's important to remember that it isn't just the slime's "intuition" at work here. Ivy also seems to have a sort of psychic sense, one that alerts her to hostile presences. I submit that it's probably not just her imagination at work because Ciel also reacted to the hostile presence in the forest. We also know that Ivy is a tamer, and tamers use a psychic ability to establish a bond with their "familiars," so Ivy has already demonstrated one kind of psychic awareness, not to mention her conversations with a former incarnation that are definitely not random hallucinations because the incarnation has knowledge of our world that Ivy would not. And all that doesn't even consider the special circumstances that seem to surround Ivy's tamer ability.

Ivy definitely felt menace, not some resigned determination to play a role.

And Ivy was convinced the same hostile presence in the forest was present in the camp.

And this sense of hostile intent was triggered most intensely when Ivy hinted that she might know something about a rare and valuable slime in front of Meela. The hostile intent only vanished when the fire mage who has Sora's stamp of approval showed up.

It was in this surrounding context that Sora, who has demonstrated an ability to sense questionable character if not outright evil, reacted negatively to the tamer Meela.

We also know that the so-called Green Gale habitually tries to avoid the adventurer Captain Barolda, who seems to be playing an active role in trying to track down the human trafficking ring.

And Captain Barolda indicated that all efforts to corner the human trafficking ring have been fruitless, indicating that some traitor has been feeding them information. If there is a double agent, the double agent seems to be working for the traffickers, not against them.
If Captain Barolda were the double agent in some surprise twist, would he have sent his men to flush out the shady merchant?

We discovered all of this shortly after Meela bragged about having all kinds of connections with important people because of her rare slimes.

And we know that the Green Gale contacted a merchant under secretive circumstances and then lied about it.

Meela's parting "We'll see you later Ivy" at dinner might not just have been a friendly farewell. Not long afterwards, Ivy was again visited by that menacing presence while in her tent.

That is admittedly all circumstantial evidence, but doesn't it seem like the circumstantial evidence is piling up at an alarming rate? Might it not constitute a preponderance of circumstantial evidence?

DEFENSE ATTORNEY BLOOD: Objection your honor!

JUDGE: On what grounds?

DEFENSE ATTORNEY BLOOD: Your honor, the prosecution is clearly ignoring the fact that the tamer in question is the only current female character who is kind of hot!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:54 am Reply with quote
Just so we are all clear, being female and "kind of hot" has been a legitimate criminal defense predating even English common law which forms the basis of our justice system in both the US and Canada. In fact, I have no doubt it is enshrined in the Hammurabi Code. Good looking chicks should be able to get away with murder. Literally.

However, my case also rests on sound narrative principles. So much evidence has accrued against the fair Meela that, logically speaking (in story-telling terms) she HAS to be innocent!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:48 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
However, my case also rests on sound narrative principles. So much evidence has accrued against the fair Meela that, logically speaking (in story-telling terms) she HAS to be innocent!

Well, I can certainly see where you're coming from there. If Meela is innocent, I think the most likely possibility is that her brothers are involved and manipulating her and implicating her. For that to work, the brothers would have had to have been triggering Ivy's spider sense while they skulked unseen and listened in the shadows. And they would have had to convince Meela that something else entirely was going on with the merchant. But If I had to bet my house on the outcome, I think I'd go the boring, plebian route on this one.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So much evidence has accrued against the fair Meela that, logically speaking (in story-telling terms) she HAS to be innocent!

She could always try going with the Chewbacca Defense. Or hire Lionel Hutz.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:42 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
She could always try going with the Chewbacca Defense. Or hire Lionel Hutz.

Y'know, it was a pleasure hearing Phil Hartman's voice again, if only in my head.

Anyhow, it's no mystery to me how this mysterious organization managed to stay in operation considering the good hearted muscle heads in charge of rooting them out. I was half expecting Ivy to pull out a pointer and some diagrams while laying out their next investigative steps. "We don't want them to know we're trailing them, so how about we set up several reconnaissance points...reconnaissance? That's when you're trying to explore or observe people or an area that is potentially hostile. Anyhow, finding several high elevation points around the city is key here..."

On the other hand, the anime did do a very subtle job of highlighting how paranoia can make even the most obvious acts of goodwill seem sinister. Meela could clearly tell that Ivy was a girl and just wanted to have a female to female talk with little sis Ivy to make sure she was okay being in the middle of a sausage factory, and this "J'accuse!" subplot with Sora made her actions seem a tad suspicious.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Pure-hearted, wide-eyed innocent that I am, I continue to hold out hope that Meela is not part of an evil, child-napping organization. I make no claims for her shifty brothers, but if she's involved, it's only because they have tricked her into it, okay? And yes, I too was highly amused at how this 9-year-old girl had to provide the brainpower to a gaggle of clueless adults. I wonder how Orange Hair figured out that Ivy is a girl? The adults in this town are so boneheaded, I applaud his ability to discern the semi-obvious.
T3rmidor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:19 am Reply with quote
Congratulations Ivy, the adventurers say as they clap.

Indeed, this is cinema Cool
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:36 am Reply with quote
Seeing them write up so many people as "Bad People" Does make me wonder at what scale is Sora judging people.

Also the contrarian in me gets kinda motivated by you guys going "She looks good so she must be innocent" and makes me want to see them paint her as a competent criminal now. But is is true that most shows only the ugly people are bad. But this one is showing a handsome hero and calling him a bad guy. Will be interested to see if we get to know the scale of wrong doing these people have committed.

Is it going to come back to the weird way this world is setup around isekai player skills? Or is it gonna play things simple and call bad guys bad? Will Ivy be saved by Ciel again? Next week on the Weakest Tamer.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:00 am Reply with quote
Oi, don't throw me under the Blood-mobile Wink I would never tarnish my jailhouse lawyer reputation claiming that people should be able to get out of crimes based on their looks. I might plead innocent on account of context, relativity, straw man arguments, deceptive generalities, reasonable doubt, temporary insanity, shape changing doppelgangers, the Mandela Effect, time travel, or demonic possession, but at least some of those have anime precedents...

The part where I can see where Blood is coming from is his observation that when a show makes something overwhelmingly obvious it's often a sign that the story is going for a surprise reversal. It's a valid observation, though personally, I don't think that's the case here, if only because Meela kind of gives off the vibe that she's the brains of Green Gale, not the naive pawn.

As to how many people are guilty, the number does seem high, but if nobles at the top are part of the conspiracy, they've probably been actively hiring bad actors and subtly edging out virtuous ones. And no matter how finely or dully tuned Sora's evil detection senses are, anybody who would aid and abet child kidnapping would have to set off that sort of alarm. It's not like we're talking refusing to tip at restaurants.

Come to think of it, maybe the nobles would have a hand in putting dragon blasting types who aren't necessarily the subtlest thinkers in charge of certain parts of the investigation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:20 am Reply with quote
Welp, all I can say is that when saucy little Meela is COMPLETELY EXONERATED and revealed to be the 110% INNOCENT person she so clearly is, there's gonna be some peeps around here who will owe her a pretty big apology.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6