• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Yes, that daddy-daughter stuff was awfully cute but it did make me wonder... where is Mrs. Hell-Lord in all of this? Is Pops a single parent?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:00 am Reply with quote
It is a comedy and all, but I wonder if the knight will ever figure out that the whole teleportation thing is totally unneeded. The princess was like a top warrior, so as long as they can remove the ball and chain she should be easily go back the way he came, as long as the one time that might happen he will come in some way she doesn't want to go down.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:00 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
It is a comedy and all, but I wonder if the knight will ever figure out that the whole teleportation thing is totally unneeded. The princess was like a top warrior, so as long as they can remove the ball and chain she should be easily go back the way he came, as long as the one time that might happen he will come in some way she doesn't want to go down.

She will still knock him out somehow since she does not at all want to leave and miss out on the 'torture'. All the flashbacks have made very clear that her home life was not particularly happy and she is now learning what having fun is like.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:23 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

That's not really the problem.spoiler[ Later on we will see she can take the ball and chain when she wants. Just because they are the Demon Kingdom and "torture" here daily it doesn't mean they are monsters.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

We finally got to meet Mama Hell-Lord... and she's fine. Clearly she's more into power than looks when it comes to dudes. Another cute, fun episode. Never expected to have to sit through a "field day" episode in a fantasy show...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:41 am Reply with quote
I think this was the episode with the least amount of torture so far. I am all for it though, since breaking up the routine keeps things fresh. If the show had been torture sessions without anything else in between then things would get samey/stale, no matter how much you try to make the torture varied.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. This show is giving a masterclass in how to properly deal with Extremely Limited Premise Syndrome (ELPS).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

It's hilarious how a show about "torture" is so soothing and fun. Loved seeing the backstory of Inki and Yoki and their elevation to Harm-marshals. And we meet a new "torturer" the vampire Vanilla Peschutz. Lovely walk with Mama, too.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:21 am Reply with quote
As the episodes go by I am starting to forget what torture was supposed to be about. Watch enough episdes of this and the word torture will only bring to mind fluffy images and fun. We are also seeing an increasing focus on not just the princess but the other characters too.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 was very sweet in several ways. It is always a joy to see the demon king family being as close as they are. There are not many other anime families that comes close to them. The cake bit was also very sweet, the princess may given in easier than ever, but she does pay close attention.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Man, Torture's dietary habits on business trips are positively SHOCKING!!! I was scandalized. Hilarious how the Hell-Lord and family live in a normal apartment. Ooooo, cliff-hanger! What does Fate have in store for Harm-marshal and perpetual torture failure Vanilla Peschutz???
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:52 pm Reply with quote
This outro they are going out of their way to show how peaceful and nice the demon world is, I have a feeling the humans are going to invade.

Anyway Grand Inquisitor she looks fine in her swimsuit, and also her devil form wow.

Finally we get to the realization that Vanilla she and the Princess are so similar.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Another great week of fun, it is amazing how much this show has surprised since I was sure the series was going to be a one trick pony during the first episode. Instead of boredom the term torture has become a very broad term to just have fun and we are seeing some actual character development too.

This week does make me wonder about a few things though. Seeing how strong the princess is makes me wonder how she was defeated/captured in the first place. It also seems like the demon lord is strong enough to win the whole war by himself. Setting wise it seems increasingly likely that the demon kingdom is more advanced and peaceful than the human part of the world is.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I knew the Princess was going to kick butt in beach balloon swordplay. Lots of nifty little comedic moments in that segment. Like when Tortura is "debating" whether or not to break the rules, all of the figures on her shoulder urge her to do it instead of having an angel pop up. Laughing Or when members of the Horde are running towards the Princess and they all get their own identifying cards... including a passing seagull. Laughing Good stuff. And I always get a kick out of the tsundere Vanilla. Like smurky, my initial expectations for this show have been blown past.
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:27 pm Reply with quote
You know I liked this show don't get me wrong, I actually read the chapters on VIZ's website, so I am not bad mouthing, but this show is better than Sleepy Princess In A Demon Castle. That was more focus on comedy, this series has a little more heart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3