• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sasaki and Peeps (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this ep more than the last couple since it was all in the isekai world and I'm still not caring about the secret psychic agent shit yet.

But it was weird how Sassy just kinda forgot about Pii-chan, who was last seen fighting for his life when he dropped him. And we never really found out how that fight ended. And when they reunited they just start chatting like no one's listening or anything. I get that ol' Starsage and them go way back, but still, Sassy didn't know that, yet he didn't have a moment's shock or concern about Pii being so open.

Was anyone fooled for a second by treasonous aide to the princess (forget both their names)?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Was anyone fooled for a second by treasonous aide to the princess (forget both their names)?

Do you mean viewers or anime characters? The count said that he came up with the scheme to unearth traitors, so it sounds like he wasn't sure from the get-go. Noblesse Oblige Daughter san (I can't remember her name either) certainly didn't suspect him, and Sasaki-san didn't seem to have any reaction other than a mild "Oh, that's too bad" while Glorified Butler-san was arranging to become the real ruler of the territory. But as you notied, Sasaki-san wasn't registering a whole lot of appropriate emotions in a timely manner this episode.

As to me, they gave it away pretty early in the game.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I meant viewers. I'm not sure if he was sus earler (I couldn't even remember why N.O.D. was there having tea with them - as you can see, I'm watching with my notepad at the ready!), but the moment he basically told her to be his puppet, it was obvious even to me. Smile

And did Sasaki even look up once at the sky battle after he saved himself? Not so much as a "Gee, I hope my cute little star-bellied Peeps will be ok..."
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:52 pm Reply with quote
He does in the novel, but in order to fit the whole thing into one episode they had to cut quite a bit or change it up (the novel also goes into detail about what happened to Peep's opponent and the Peeps reveal was done later and not weirdly blurted out). The butler being the baddy was indeed rather on the nose,
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:57 pm Reply with quote
So, episode 5 makes clear what the show truly is about. While the lacking animation and rushing over some source material is a pity, the anime very much captures how insane the series is. You have magic, espers, magical girls, another world and lots more while Sasaki is trying to lead a peaceful life and failing horribly at it.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:04 pm Reply with quote
"We have to cover up this wing falling! Let's partially drown some people, while doing nothing to address everyone else who must have seen it, much less the rest of the plane."

"What about the pilot we just murdered?"

"Meh."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

I'm loving this. It's not quite the element Cuisinart that My Instant Death Ability... is, but it's not far off. I really love the mix of magical girls, present day Japan, psychics, magical dudes and isekai. I also love anime coincidences. I'm pretty sure I've gone my entire 15-year anime career without ever seeing a Costco reference and this week there's been two: in this show and in A Sign of Affection. I'm pretty sure both shows used the same "Costaco" moniker, too. Has Costco just recently moved into the Japanese market and is investing in brand placement? Or is this just more proof that we are actually living in a Matrix-like simulation?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:56 am Reply with quote
I like the mix too. The way the show takes so many random and disparate elements together and tosses them into the life of a laid back, kinda boring, slice of life MC produces a unique kind of vibe. Anyone ever read the novel Silverlock by John Myers?

Anyway, this show isn't compelling for me, but..it's kind of like discovering a new ice cream flavor. It's not going to replace Chocolate, but it's interesting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:15 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
"What about the pilot we just murdered?"

"Meh."

Really. This was as bizarre as Sassy not giving a thought to Pii-chan last episode. I just kept waiting for someone to mention that the pilot (and passengers?) were fine or something, but it's like only the wing of the plane mattered.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:57 am Reply with quote
It's kind of a lose lose situation.

It would be a much different anime if the pyro guy (and the psychic investigators who knew what he was and let the situation escalate) were traumatized (as I hope most people would be) by the fate of the plane. For there to be counseling, nightmares, long bouts of self-reflection, etc would change the tone of the anime.

On the other hand, just sending the victims' families a post card, or clenching a fist and promising to do better wouldn't really go over well either.

I would prefer a middle ground, but even more, I kind of wish the writer hadn't gone there in the first place. It's not because I'm against realism either. It's not like if I randomly went outside and shot a shotgun up into the air, the odds of me hitting a plane in the sky would be all that high. The writer went out of the way to create that one in a however many million chance situation, and I'm not sure why.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:20 am Reply with quote
Because it makes for an exciting scene, the novel and thus the anime love creating situations that snowball into even more of a clusterfuck to solve for poor old Sasaki. It is also in part due to the anime cutting out a fair amount of smaller moments from the novel. The way Sasaki seemed to not care about Peep's fight and now the plane are different from the source material.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've gone my entire 15-year anime career without ever seeing a Costco reference and this week there's been two: in this show and in A Sign of Affection. I'm pretty sure both shows used the same "Costaco" moniker, too. Has Costco just recently moved into the Japanese market and is investing in brand placement? Or is this just more proof that we are actually living in a Matrix-like simulation?

Costco has been in Japan since it opened its first store there in 1999, they’re currently operating 33 stores as of 2023.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly, part if it may just be my general getting sick of psychopath viewpoint characters. But the only part of the situation Sasaki addressed is the debris, so if that's the interesting part, there are plenty of ways to generate debris without randomly murdering people and not giving a crap (the giving of, I thought, was part of the whole point of the psychic management organization). Adding the killing didn't increase the complexity of the problem for Sasaki to solve, and if snowballing situations is the point, having to deal with that should have. Instead, the show seems to go out of its way to make everyone involved seem like psychopaths.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:17 pm Reply with quote
See, the problem with some of you is that you're a buncha soft-hearted twerps. Me? When I saw that pillar of flame blow off the plane's wing, I was all: "HAW-HAW-HAW!!! Sucks to be youse, losahs!!!"

What??? It's not like it was a jumbo jet or anything, for Pete's sake... geez, chill.

But all joking aside, the narrative dopiness actually started with Sasaki going off by himself to write a "report." A report on what? At that point, all he could write about was that the target of their invitation was being bullied and did not use his pyro ability. Which, is certainly useful information to pass on but, I dunno, maybe wait until finding out if the invitation is successful or not before finishing the "report"?

I don't think Hoshizaki's honey trap approach was necessarily a bad idea (it would have worked on me) but I guess in hindsight a more straightforward invite might have been better...

Beltane70 wrote:
Costco has been in Japan since it opened its first store there in 1999, they’re currently operating 33 stores as of 2023.

Ah, so it's as I thought... we are living in the Matrix.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:36 am Reply with quote
Unlike you, my age is still in the double-digits, but somehow I've still come to the conclusion that I'm too old for this kind of thing. (I dropped out of Solo Leveling at "ribcage" because of what it told me about the show's priorities)

This is a really on-point article about how badly this wave of fantasy has squandered the very idea of fiction, compared to Tolkien's downright revolutionary work. It makes me pine for something as by-the-book as Guin Saga.

I still appreciate the off-the-wall stuff (the magical girl who skinned her mascot character was brilliant), and I think I was one of the only people who liked Samurai Flamenco, but I wish the show would really lean into it more, rather than seem to just forget what it's doing at any moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3