• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sasaki and Peeps (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:40 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: Sasaki and Peeps (TV)
Season 02: Sasaki and Peeps (TV 2)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 8 volumes, written by Buncololi, illustrated by Kantoku)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Silver Link

Genres: action, comedy, drama, fantasy, mystery, slice of life

Themes: aristocracy, detective, factions, isekai, magical creatures, police, politics, psychics, sorcery

Plot Summary: Even though Sasaki’s droll corporate life is constantly filled with work, it leaves him tired and unfulfilled at the end of every day. In search of some companionship to fill the emptiness in his life, he visits a pet shop on a whim, not realizing he’s about to change his life forever.

After settling on an adorable bird and bringing it home...his new roommate reveals that it’s actually an incredible sage from another world who promptly bestows Sasaki with supernatural powers as well as the ability to cross between worlds.

All Sasaki wants to do is use these newfound powers to live in peace and comfort, but there are more than a few colorful characters who might get in the way of that...

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: January 5, 2024 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02: Pending
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 12 episodes
Season 02: Pending

Total: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

Tomokazu Sugita plays the main character. I'll watch for his performance, alone. I can imagine him switching between a lot of deadpan and over-the-top mood swings.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:27 pm; edited 5 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Yup, as someone who has read every English version of the novel out so far I can say that the first episode hit the right notes for me. The story is a lovely blend of all kinds of genres and there currently being another world, magic and espers is actually just the calm start. The characters are interesting and some a bit out there, it has a solid pace while still having many fun small moments and there is just a whole lot of personality to it.

All that said, while the first episode is a great adaption of the novel, it is very much a relatively slow and talk heavy series. There is action, but what you see in the first episode is mostly what you are going to get.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Ah, the dreaded double-length premiere. Although in this case I actually appreciated that approach. If I had only watched the first half I may have wondered if it was worth pursuing, but the second half definitely picked up for me. Keep on eye on Sasaki's young next door neighbor... she is definitely giving off yandere vibes and that rarely works out well for the hapless protag.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:46 am Reply with quote
Given how busy each season is now and how quickly shows are dropped it makes sense to go for longer and longer first episodes in order to sell the premise and its hooks. Who knows, give it two more years and maybe half of the first episodes will be double length.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:42 am Reply with quote
After Edjwald and the not so good, really very meh Anime Watching Thursday I was beginning to worry that I'd lost that loving feeling as far as anime went. But I really liked the weird healer anime, and I got into this one too.

I agree that the double length episode was a good thing. In a way, Sasaki and Peeps was like that gum from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the one that changes flavors as you chew it. Oh, this is the middle-aged dude with no life begins to wake up because of a pet anime. Eh, ok. Ah, it's an isekai. Alright, I'm interested. No, it's a slice of life isekai, Cool. Huh? Secret agent psychics? Whah?

By the end, I was totally in and loving it. I don't know if the show is going to be able to gracefully merge all of these elements, but it looks like a fun ride.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:59 am Reply with quote
The show is doing a fine job showcasing the busy and hectic life of Sasaki. The poor bastard gets into all sorts of crazy shit while just wanting to chill with a cute pet. This week we had the bowling alley fight as the first official mission from the agency and of course it is a clusterfuck with lots of casualties. We also saw the introduction of a magical girl into the mix (no, no lewding/bdsming the magical girl in this show).

Complaints wise there was some less than great animation during the fight and my one issue with the source material/story is that all the girls that he meets in the show share a common trait, you can probably guess which one.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:11 am Reply with quote
The thing is, I've been kind of traumatized by certain anime in some respects. When I watched the first episode of that Fluffy Paradise anime, and that prince picked up the adult woman in a what...three year old body (why!??) there was a part of me going "Get your hands off her you pervert!" while another part of me was going "Dude, relax, that's a normal reaction to a cute kid."

So yeah, I wasn't thrilled when they made that "After the Rain" style revelation at the end of the episode. The MC seemed taken aback and aghast when he found out his partner was 16, and the MC seems asexual, which I'm sure is going to be a constant, but the revelation was still an irritant.

Which is a shame, because I like the weird mish mash of fantasy and sci fi. It's not clear if there are good and bad guys or bad and worse guys or if it's all just complicated. And I like shows where someone slowly builds up an empire (though it's an economic one in this case).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:55 am Reply with quote
Geez, peeps, what's wrong with an older dude meeting a parade of underage jailbait???

Oh... right. Although we didn't see his next door neighbor yandere in the making this week. Still think that if Sasaki really wants those warm, fuzzy, fluffy pet vibes, he should get a cat.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:34 am Reply with quote
Welp, there goes Sasaki's otherworld home being a peaceful place. War is on the rise and the friendly Mueller has been lost to war. There is also a crisis within Mueller's family and that butler is at all not a shady guy or anything. We have a new underage girl for the collection, because women above the age of 16 do not exist in Sasaki's world (both of them).

I will be sticking with the series, since it has most of the same charms as the novel, but I can understand people dropping it if they are in it for action/excitement.

Oh btw, that ending sure is something.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:17 pm Reply with quote
This show is going places, but it is interesting how they are wanting to flip the isekai genre in some admirable ways.

Love that we have a middle-aged lead, though Im not fond of the fact that all the women are younger than him, and Im a little disappointed that the bird isn't playing a bigger role? By the second episode it just seems like it wants to partially be this magic user battle comedy anime, and yet it starts with a bunch of man and his pet bird stuff.

Maybe the manga is like this, but I think I preferred the anime when ti seems like this would be more about a man and his bird and not much else, which would have been fine. There are a ton of anime that don't color outside the lines and do the base premise and execute it wonderfully. Here? Idk, it feels like it's trying to do too much and that's not fun to see what looks like a project that was gonna be one thing and then the creators focused on the magic battle stuff instead.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Having read most of the novels I would suggest embracing the chaos. Sasaki and Peeps is a story about a middle aged guy who never gets any rest in a world that only gets crazier and crazier, it is not one for even having lines to color into.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

So Sasaki's underage yandere neighbour makes an appearance again, offering him a shoulder massage... an offer he wisely rejects. Too bad about Muller, he seemed like a decent sort. This is definitely an odd duck of a show but I find it kind of engaging for some reason.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, not sure how to feel about this week's episode. They changed and compressed the events of the novels quite a bit and due to that some things feel rather rushed or sudden. The combat bits were also barely animated and thus not very impressive.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:58 am Reply with quote
I liked that the Count turned out to be more than just an earnest noble when he revealed a scheming side. I'm not sure how I feel about Peeps being able to unleash his full magical can of whoop-ass to destroy armies anytime he feels like it. I liked Peeps being a tutor with constraints and Sasaki working his way UP instead of OP. Come to think of it...if Peeps is all that and a bag of exotic chocolates magic wise, how come Peeps can't just shape change back to a human?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:02 am Reply with quote
Um... because he looks cuter as a sparrow? Duh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3