• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sasaki and Peeps (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:53 am Reply with quote
Wow, what's a young whippersnapper like you doing pining for the antediluvian charms of Tolkienesque high fantasy? Do you also sneer at the modern day predilection to not dress up in our Sunday best when travelling on passenger aeroplanes? I love me some Tolkien, but after the first few thousand imitators it was inevitable that there would be a reaction against that style to grimdark. And now that there's been a few thousand imitators of that, of course there's going to be a reaction against it. And so it goes. No doubt we will go full circle back to Tolkienesque high fantasy or perhaps some visionary will lead us to something completely new that we will all get sick of after a few thousand imitations.

Oh and by the way, despite my advanced age, I too liked Samurai Flamenco (I own the UK release) although I do seem to remember my enthusiasm waned as the show went on.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, say what you want, but there is never a dull moment in Sasaki's life as of late and basically anything can pop up at any given moment. Ironically enough he might have been better off at his old job when it comes to stress. He also needs to up his security since him and peeps being naive in that regard has come back to bite them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Man, you just never know what kind of episode you're gonna be getting from this show which is part of its charm, imo. This time it was a laidback episode in present day Japan with a bizarre emphasis on pickled plums. Go figure. And Sasaki is finally dealing with a chick who is older than he is - woohoo! Futari seems like a fun addition to the ensemble.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:52 pm Reply with quote
At the rate he's building his harem, it's going to turn out that the Star Sage was a woman (have we seen an image of them yet? One that wasn't Sasaki's imagination? Can't remember). I mean, Pii's seiyuu is a woman, and there's really no reason their speaking voice would be different from what it was as a human, because magic and all. Then again, Müller said (ep 4) he was a man he admired, and I can't tell if "oyaji" in the dialog really is "father" or something else, since I don't speak Japanese and can't parse what I hear incorrectly anyway. Smile

On the fourth hand, just because (if) he appeared as a man to Müller, et al, doesn't mean that wasn't a magical glamour to fit the cultural expectations... Laughing
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 7 was all about politics, so it was not exactly my cup of tea. I do seriously wonder about the king of Herz. You have a country in pretty bad shape and while the enemy kingdom has been stalled, it will come back in a few years time for another attempt. So what do you do, well, you make for even more chaos by making the princes and their factions fight among themselves, thus wasting valuable recources and manpower, effectively making the country even weaker than it already is.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Man, Peeps is pretty harsh with the curses. Consigning somebody to an eternity of consciousness as basically an immobile lump of flesh is pretty nasty stuff. The episode also confirmed my earlier impression that I tend to prefer episodes that are set in modern day Japan as opposed to those set in the isekai.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

yawn

This whole Marc's imprisonment thing was never interesting to me and a whole episode dedicated to negotiating his release was a real joy killer. I've never found this show to be particularly good to begin with but this episode was so boring it almost put me to sleep.

I'm hoping the fantasy world gets shelved for the last few episodes.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the whole political aspect of it was better in the novels because there were small events happening to break things up pacing wise. Since the anime has cut those the last 2 episodes have been a lot of politics with no breaks and that can be grating.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 expressed my feelings exactly. Anytime we're in the fantasy world, it's dullsville which is kind of surprising. Wow, sure am glad Marc is free and gets to head up a new trading company! Gripping stuff.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Funny you should say that, this week's episode stays in line with the regular world episodes being far more action based compared to the fantasy world. When in the regular there are fights with psychics and magical girls while the fantasy world is a whole lot of politics so far. This week we had a fun fight and seems like we are ending with a siege versus magical girls.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:05 am Reply with quote
So ended the final episode and I am left with mixed feelings. The show manages to capture the insanity that is the life of Sasaki rather well. The setting is not just one of a regular world and the magical adventures in the other world, there are the espers, magical girls and at the end the angels and demons also join the mix. It does not even end there, the monsters going from the otherworld to the regular one is a thing and having read the novels even more is on the way.

My issue with the adaption is the cut content and pacing issues due to that. In order to fit several volumes in one season they have cut a lot of the smaller moments. This makes Peeps feel like a forgotten character at times and also ruins the pacing. The best example of this is the saving of the camptured merchant that dragged on for too long without anything to break it up.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Rated this So-so. I don't feel like saying much about this thing other than everything about it was shallow.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

A thoroughly middle of the road Decent from me. I dinged the rating because I feel this show had more potential then it ultimately showed. Perhaps, as smurky points out, this was because they had to chop out so much source material. But I think that conceptually they just never capitalized on what is a pretty engaging premise about flitting between two world. Liked it enough to come back for more if that happens.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:15 am Reply with quote
If they do a second season, I mostly hope that it has an ED that is not nightmare fuel.

My opinion of the show is that it feels kind of disjointed, like someone put all the things they like into one story, which I don't want to criticise too much, and there is some charm to that. I am kind of reminded of some random shows several years, which were mostly harems with other random things.

My rating will also be Decent.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:58 am Reply with quote
Well, seems like a second season is on the way, I did not expect that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3