• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Strongest Tank's Labyrinth Raids (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:46 pm Reply with quote

(The) Strongest Tank's Labyrinth Raids (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 6 volumes, written by Ryūta Kijima, illustrated by Sando)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Studio Polon

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy

Themes: medieval

Plot Summary: Rud is a tank of the Hero's Party and is said to have the highest defense ever in history. The party often does labyrinth raids, but to Rud, it means more than just a raid. To cure his beloved sister's illness, he is in search for the wish-granting treasure that might be hidden in those labyrinths.

But one day, the arrogant hero kicks him from the party after an unsuccessful raid attempt, blaming it on his skills whose effects he is still unaware of. Without nowhere else to go and nothing to do, he decides to return to his hometown, where his sister is waiting. On his way there, he saves a girl who was being attacked by a monster. Unexpectedly, this girl has an extremely rare skill called "Appraisal".

Thanks to her skill, Rud is able to discover the truth behind his unknown skills, which turn out to be very powerful skills. With a defense of 9999 and powerful skills, thus begins the adventure of the strongest tank, Rud.

Air Date & Platform:
January 6, 2024 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So let's review the Checklist of Signs That A Show Probably Sucks Hard, shall we?

1) The title is a paragraph. Don't be fooled by this discussion thread's title, the full title of the show according to Crunchy is: THE STRONGEST TANK'S LABYRINTH RAIDS -A TANK WITH A RARE 9999 RESISTANCE SKILL GOT KICKED FROM THE HERO'S PARTY- In other words, check.

2) MC is a sis-con and the imouto is suffering from an incurable disease. Check.

3) Show has generic visual style and fight scene animation is subpar. Check.

4) MC meets unfortunate young waif-like girl whom he can lavish his kindness on. Check.

5) Has hackneyed plot such as seemingly flawed but actually totally awesome MC getting kicked from party by a douchey "Hero." Checkaroni.

So clearly I hate this show and have FINALLY found a Winter 2024 entry I can easily toss aside, right?

Not so fast, bucko. I actually liked it. Can I swear to watch to the end? No, but I willing to go forward.

Signed,

Soon to be drowning in a sea of anime,

Blood-
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:38 am Reply with quote
For better or worse, it is indeed very generic/cliche yet also okay enough to not immediately toss. That said, given how full the season is.....yeah, I am probably going to cut it in a few episodes.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 1

So clearly I hate this show and have FINALLY found a Winter 2024 entry I can easily toss aside, right?

Not so fast, bucko. I actually liked it. Can I swear to watch to the end? No, but I willing to go forward.

Signed,

Soon to be drowning in a sea of anime,

Blood-

Dude, you've got to ease up on the drama and stop working yourself up like this. Relax, There's only...what...25 anime left to premiere. And I don't think saving the best for last is really an anime principle, so you should be fine. After all, most of the anime left probably won't meet the same high standards as...um...I mean, the same, quirky, egocentric standards as The Strongest Tank's Labyrinth Raids.

Oh wait, you liked Synduality Noir and Fire Hunter too didn't you? Well, that's okay.

And personally, I've got high hopes for Tsukimichi Moonlight and Hokaido Girls Are Adorable tomorrow.

Sure, that Meiji Geiken anime looks like it's worth a look. And that Metallic Rouge looks like some kind of Lycoris Recoil type anime with higher production values...

I'm sort of curious about The Beast and the Witch and Delusional Monthly Magazine too...

Anyway, my point is, relax.

(Helpful to a fault)

Edjwald
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Relax? RELAX?!?

Dude, I envy the relatively simple lives of child soldiers in Africa. All they have to worry about is minor stuff like starvation or dying violent deaths. *I* have to contemplate the trauma of having too much anime to watch! Well, like the song says, nobody promised me a rose garden...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:08 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Relax? RELAX?!?

Dude, I envy the relatively simple lives of child soldiers in Africa. All they have to worry about is minor stuff like starvation or dying violent deaths. *I* have to contemplate the trauma of having too much anime to watch!

And here I was worried you might be being a skosh hyperbolic. Embarassed

I guess it's like they say, when I assumed, I made an ass of u and med.

And med is an abbreviation for medication. Speaking of you and medication,,... Wink

(Master of the smooth transition)

Edited to change it likes to It's like
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, with the second episode it did not get better or worse. It is a generic mediocre fantasy anime through and through, the one saving grace is probably the likeable cast. Seems like we will be getting more action soon.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:29 pm Reply with quote
just more boring tripe. It's harmless so far though so hoping it stays this harmless little bit of fantasy junk food. Otherwise, at the very least our lead is a generally kind hero and people emote/show how they feel instead of talking about it nonstop.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:51 pm Reply with quote
As of episode 3 it is still pretty generic. That said, some of the characters are decent and it was nice seeing the hero be revealed for what he really is. The thing I am most interested in is the mana/shield system. Everyone has a shield that protects them from damage until its value is 0, yet it seems like many techniques use said shield as fuel, making it almost like mana. It is not mana though, given that using spells does not reduce your shield.

Nothing groundbreaking, but I like it when a show gets a bit creative with the rpg system.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Huh, so with episode 5 it almost feels like a season ending: The hero was humbled and apologised (though he did need to get smacked around for it), Rud and the party succeeded in beating the dungeon boss to get the magical stone, the sister was (partly) healed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Yeah, I'm confused. The whole point of finding the "Secret of the Labyrinth" was that it would heal his sister, right? But turns out it's just a "kind of" healing? Whu-? Guess will find out more at some point, right?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:44 am Reply with quote
I suppose using the clan to raid more dungeons and thus get more magic stones for healing. I do have to say though that for a stone supposedly able to grant all wishes not even being able to heal one girl is a bit....weak.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:08 pm Reply with quote
The show just gave up this week, wouldn't you say?

"Ah, why pretend we're actually serious about being anything like a serious fantasy, amirite?"

Sure, they could conceive of some unique way the "labyrinth management" works... or we could straight up make a bunch of computer windows.

and the "like a gacha" line, that Rud doesn't even flinch at.

*sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Well, I'm enjoying it. The labyrinth management system is kind of an interesting wrinkle. As is the whole clan management/alliance thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing this is a fine show but they are doing things I don't often see in a dungeon crawler. In fact, this season has turned out to be a pretty good one for dungeoning.:

Delicious in Dungeon - this is a very good show, very imaginative and funny. And it's premise of eating dungeon monsters is pretty unique.

The Unwanted Undead Adventurer - as I said in the relevant discussion thread, what I appreciate about this title is that it is just a solid, straight-up dungeon crawling show. Nothing fancy but done in a very entertaining, non-wonky way.

Solo Leveling - or as I call it, Gantz Underground. I find this a super compelling action/adventure show and I like the present day but with dungeons premise.

Strongest Tank is by far the weakest of the four offerings, but I still find it reasonably fun. Black Fang Dragon and White Claw Tiger are both pretty cool names, but considering one is run by a hot chick and the other by an old dude, anybody wanna hazard a guess as to which one I think Rud and his compadres should join?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:39 pm Reply with quote
HA! If he and his gang get to the 51st floor, they should demand the other clans join His after all that crap about Tanks! Or at least agree to join forces. Heck, Rud has a labyrinth guardian on his side and the Saint, what do they got like those huh...?

Also got a kick out of the unnecessary censorship at the beginning with her (meat skewer?)...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2