• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Snack Basue (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Wow, first Frieren, and then episode 2 of the universally acclaimed, slyly under-animated, bathing in excellence experience that is...Snack Basue.

What can I say, I just like it.

Well, that is part of the charm of there being so much anime every season I suppose, most people will not be able to watch everything that comes out, so you end up with people have fairly different watch schedules.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode the other day and think this feels like a lower-budget, less serious, and much goofier version of Bartender.

The bit with the one dude who kept trying to get laid was actually a kind of charming. But yeah, if anybody likes the concept of this and would like a classier-looking iteration, try the latter. Encyclopedia entry for that one says you can stream in on Tubi.

Will probably keep watching this just for comparison's sake.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I'm not sure which I find more distracting: Akemi's blonde rhino horn hair or Mama Basue's pink triangle hair. In any case, the off-beat humour continues to appeal to me. I'm watching seven shows on Friday, all on Crunchy, and Snack Basue sort of feels appropriate as the last of the bunch.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:58 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I watched the first episode the other day and think this feels like a lower-budget, less serious, and much goofier version of Bartender[...]if anybody likes the concept of this and would like a classier-looking iteration, try the latter. Encyclopedia entry for that one says you can stream in on Tubi.

Thanks for the rec. I'd never even heard of Bartender. Back when I started watching anime around 2013ish? I combed the catalogs of Hulu and Netflix (and then Crunchyroll and Funimation and Hidive and Amazon Prime) for other anime, but older stuff that wasn't on those venues at that time has never pinged my radar.

I tried Bartender, and it was different in a way that I kind of liked. If it's basically a "Restaurant of Another World" type set-up where every week is about somebody telling their story and having a religious experience with a cocktail instead of a meal, I might not see it through. Typically I like those shows for a few episodes and then they start to seem formulaic because the foodie genre isn't really one that I'm into per se. But I liked the atmosphere of this show a lot, and I hope it keeps surprising me.

l'll probably watch an episode every Tuesday after work because that day's an anime desert for me, whereas some other days are anime flashfloods this season.

But at the risk of becoming the anime equivalent of Mel, the crazed lone fan on the old Flight of the Conchords show, I'll probably keep watching Snack Basue whether I stick with Bartender or not.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:04 am Reply with quote
Welp, this was the first episode where I myself had a hard time following the humor of the show. The spurting head wound, for example, could have been funny if maybe it had just a little context, and most of the episode felt a bit rushed and random to me. Still on for episode 4 though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm out. Did a title purge this morning and cut 10 titles of which this is one. So down from 36 to 26 shows... feels good!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:26 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, I'm out. Did a title purge this morning and cut 10 titles of which this is one. So down from 36 to 26 shows... feels good!

The horror, oh the sheer horror.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:42 am Reply with quote
What's a little different about this latest purge is that I didn't cut any shows because I disliked them. In fact, there was stuff about all of them that I liked. I really was motivated more by, "goddamn, I just can't with 36" and then deciding which of the titles were the most expendable. And because none were chopped due to excessive suckage, going by past behaviour, it is possible one or more of them might get returned to the fold.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Yah, I went in today deciding I was going to drop two anime out of Tales of Rings or Sign of Affection or Bucchigiri because there are so many shows that I like on Friday that I have to watch some of them on Saturday now.

But I still decided to give Snack Basue one more chance just because I was low key charmed by the first two episodes. I won't sit through too many more episodes like this one though.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I am sticking to two chances and then you are out (unless the show is really not appealing to me), there is just too much to watch and just like Blood I can simply not juggle 30 plus shows every week.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Yep, the Tower of Jello returns. I've put back 5 of the 10 titles I chopped this morning.

*sigh*

Snack Basue still isn't one of them, but give it 5 minutes... Rolling Eyes
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:44 am Reply with quote
Welp, I'm glad I stuck around, cos episode 3 was a trash fire but I liked episode 4 again. I think I llke this anime because the humor is hard to predict but still relatable enough that I get a chuckle and low key enough that it's kind of relaxing. The first segment was like the first two episodes, and the second two were more bizarre, but I still enjoyed them. If the series sometimes has a bit of a King of the Hill vibe for me, that Pink Unicorn started to edge into Rin and Stimpy territory.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

I especially enjoyed the first segment about Akemi's point deduction system. Poor Morita...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 4

I especially enjoyed the first segment about Akemi's point deduction system. Poor Morita...

Heh, just when you thought you were out, Snack Basue pulled you back in! But if it makes you feel better, I went on my computer's digital calendar and typed in the six anime I dropped onto the interim week so I wouldn't forget to see if they were worth trying again and binging when I had the time.

And...I...ummmm....added The Demon Prince of Momochi House, The Daily Life of the Immortal King, and decided The Strongest Tank's Labyinth etc might not just be more than just some sis-con bs low budget crap fest after all.

(But I don't have an anime problem. I could quit anytime I wanted to....)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Yep. Winter 2024 will be known as The Season I Couldn't Drop Anything for me. Actually, that's not quite true. I did watch a chunk of the first episode of The Dangers in My Heart S2 and decided, "nah" and have actually stuck with that decision. It's not that I found it bad but I just had no interest in continuing to follow that particular dynamic. I enjoyed the first season but that was good enough for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4