• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ninja Kamui (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axbox360

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:52 pm Reply with quote

Ninja Kamui (TV)

Source: Original

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: E&H Production

Genres: action, drama, science fiction

Themes: assassins, crime, cyborgs, gore, ninja, police, revenge, tragedy

Plot Summary: After escaping his clan and going into hiding in rural America, former ninja Joe Higan is ambushed by assassins who exact bloody retribution on him and his family for their betrayal. After the attack, Joe returns to being known as Ninja Kamui to avenge his family and sets his sights on taking down the very clan that made him.

Air Date & Platform:
February 11, 2024 (Sunday)
Available on: HBO Max

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

I saw no thread for Ninja Kamui so I made one.

1st episode had some cool action. I think this is confirmed for 12 episodes.

[EDIT: Added the fancy opener stuff. -TK]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Adult Swim is one of the channels I get through my cable package, so I'm able to PVR it. I like the show but no way I'd stay up until 3am to actually watch it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Some good old bloody revenge action, sign me up.
Axbox360

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Who ever edited my comment thanks but I don’t think this is confirmed to be a “Seinen”? Remember a lot of CGDCT shows like k-on are Seinen as well.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Here's the first paragraph for the definition of seinen provided by ANN's Lexicon:

Quote:
Relatively uncommon in the west due to the emphasis on the male teen market, "seinen" is a demographic indicator for anime and manga aimed at a young adult male (college-aged) audience. As such, this kind of anime tends to be more sophisticated than shōnen anime. There are many of the same basic themes/subgenres as shōnen but they are more psychological, satirical, violent, sexual, etc. In other words they are intended for a more mature audience.

If you accept that as part of the seinen definition, I'd say Ninja Kamui is definitely seinen. Oh and thanks Tony K. for the OP upgrade. You've spoiled me for any other approach. Unless it's in that format, it doesn't seem "right."
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Axbox360 wrote:
Who ever edited my comment thanks but I don’t think this is confirmed to be a “Seinen”? Remember a lot of CGDCT shows like k-on are Seinen as well.

You're welcome.

The demographic label is a total guess on my part and was more so to get people interested in checking the show out in the first place. I haven't even seen it myself, yet. But just reading the summary made it sound like a bloody and mature show. I will update all the tags and stuff as I make my way through the series, though.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:05 am Reply with quote
The second episode makes clear that they are fully embracing the show being a bloody revenge romp, this includes the OP that screams a certain emoung of edginess. As for the episode itself, seems like mega evil corp is the true baddy and the ninja clan has become their lackeys to take care of the dirty work. The FBI agents might be helpful, that one guy sure bled a lot before he died and the fight at the end was way over the top in a fun way.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I discovered that AS is broadcasting both the sub and dub version. Despite one of my fave voice actors of all time, Luci Christian, being in the dub, I will watch the subbed version. Hell, man, it's about ninjas! Of course ya gotta watch it with the Japanese audio.

I'm guessing that restaurant owner won't be lending out his place for FBI meet-ups any more.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:53 am Reply with quote
Made some time to watch the first episode. All I can say is, if anybody ever wanted a John Wick anime where he was a ninja and lost his family instead of his dog, this is as close as you'll get until that rumored anime-styled series comes out.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:43 am Reply with quote
Well, starting the episode with a creepy guy saying that the mc is a nice piece of ass while licking the screen of his phone sure is something. Most of the episode was build up, though we did have a nice fight at the end showcasing ninja techniques of old versus new technology. I was going to say that those two guys from the FBI might be of help, but after seeing the episode I think gathering intel is what they should stick at.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I was kinda bummed that Agent Chicky-Pooh's sweet VW Bug/Computer Lab got totalled.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:30 am Reply with quote
A good set-up episode this week. My guess is that Higan will get into the city and kill off the head honchos one by one, they sure are a unique bunch of villains. The episode also provided some flashbacks and extra details on some characters which was needed to make you care for them. As for Zai, I wonder if he will turn into an ally or pose to be the biggest enemy.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:41 am Reply with quote
1–5:

John Wick, but ninjas.

This is the kind of show that I don't have anything substantial to comment on every week. Just sit back and enjoy the fun. And you know what, it is everything that I hoped for. I marathoned all five episodes in one go, and it's the perfect kind of show to marathon because the pacing is meant for that kind of viewing.

Sleek animation, top-notch production values, great music, stylized violence. Yep, it really is John Wick but ninjas. Sure, the story is full of tropes but rather than the type that would make my eyes roll, this one makes me feel somewhat nostalgic. Like it's paying an earnest homage to that "vengeance by someone with nothing to lose" plot. It also caters to Western audiences a lot more than other typical anime, but so far it's been a decent endeavor.

I'm just happy to watch this at last. An article I read claims that this show fills the void that JJK left when it ended. I kinda agree.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:06 pm Reply with quote
The way Emma her story was told leaves something to be desired and feels like a sudden left turn that fails to make an impact, it seems like the final form of our mc will be something te behold in motion though.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:22 am Reply with quote
6:

From the get-go, I was never in for the plot twists or character development. This show is just about the action. I think even the show is aware of that, and I'm perfectly okay with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2