• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gods' Game We Play (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:14 pm Reply with quote

Gods' Game We Play (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 7 volumes, written by Kei Sazane, illustrated by Toiro Tomose)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Liden Films

Genres: fantasy, thriller, tournament

Themes: ecchi, game, gods, goddesses, mythology, strategy

Plot Summary: When the gods grow bored, they decide to spice up their eternal existence by challenging all takers in an ultimate battle of wits. Of course, these deities are capricious, unfair, and incomprehensible at the best of times, so winning is virtually impossible for a mere mortal. Even so, things are bound to get interesting when a former goddess and a genius human boy team up in a bid to win the game to end all games.

Air Date & Platform:
April 1, 2024 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

Some of the genres and themes are a total guess on my part based on what I read on MAL and Wikipedia. I'll update them once I actually watch the show.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:17 pm Reply with quote
The summary gives me flashbacks to Liar Liar, I really hope it is not as bad as that one.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:08 am Reply with quote
It's probably a little safer to judge an anime by its trailer than a book by its cover, right?

I too was wondering if this anime was going to be more like No Game No Life or Liar Liar and the trailer didn't make me optimistic. Just based on the art and the attitude, this doesn't give off the vibe of an ambitious anime with a unique vision.

But I'll try it and hope for the best.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, the animation is not great and the plot so far is not all that exciting either, the games themselves might be thrilling with things like dodging fire blasts and hiding from a giant golem though. I just hope it does not turn into the Liar Liar game of who can pull the biggest load of bullshit out of their ass.
zfunk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I have to question the main character a bit here, he gets fluster by the female lead showing some clevage, yet after working with that female boss of his, you think he be more desensitized to that.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:32 pm Reply with quote
It's a little too early to say if I'll watch more than 3 episodes, but I will say that I think the anime is better than Liar Liar right out of the gate.

For example - the memory intro game they played. I don't mind that Fay could apparently keep track and card count even though the deck was rotating in the air. He's supposed to be the best in the world. I got the point of the game easily enough, and there was even real strategy involved. To wit, Fay realized the real objective of the game was gathering intel, not "winning" per se, and the game didn't turn into an "oooohh...Fay pulled another last minute save, he's so amazing" moment.

The goddess doesn't seem like a recast of the half a hundred other characters with red hair who have looked just like her in other anime, and most of whom do the tsundere thing. The qualities she liked in Fay were his lack of BS and his respect for the integrity of the game, and she expressed that without a lot of drama or denial. She also showed a lack of BS and a respect for the integrity of the game, so it seems like the two of them might have a basis for cooperating. I liked the leads all right.

On the other hand, the animation isn't anything special, we've seen the "everyone gets a gift" thing a lot, and it's not clear if these contests are just going to be dungeons with tag or hide and go seek elements yet.

But I'm willing to give it a chance.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:16 pm Reply with quote
As of episode 2, I'm still on board. I wasn't crazy about the fact that the rules weren't clear from the get-go. We've already mentioned that Liar Liar kind of poisoned the well water where these game challenge anime are concerned, and this set-up seemed prime for making up rules on the fly and last minute ass pulls.

But as the anime progressed, and there was some internal logic, I started thinking of it less as a cop out and more as a puzzle. The square really was a grid. The flipping thing made sense in that light. I don't buy for a minute that they could run non stop for that long, or that a monster with a stride ten times as long as theirs couldn't catch up to them, but still...

I still like the relationship between the leads.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:19 pm Reply with quote
The reason that episode 2 worked and kept me interested is that figuring out the rules is part of the game. One game can be made out of several others plus have hidden rules and it seems that as long as there are hints to those everything goes. Due to that every game is in part a mystery and not just performing the needed task, it avoids the pitfall of Liars where cheating is the name of the game. Grounded logic should also mean that ass pulls are limited.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:47 am Reply with quote
The third episode was the weakest one thus far. There were a few funny moments and interesting bits of information but there was very little game in the episode and a few too many small boob jokes.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I groaned when they went to the small boobs jokes too. It's become a pretty reliable telltale that creative lull has occurred and that more retread cliches are coming.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 showed that while there is no cheating such as in a certain other anime the rules and with that especially the hidden rules can be very unfair and honestly nonsensical. Figuring out the hidden rules requires some leaps of logic that do not make sense and even knowing them you need certain abilities to make it work. Since the ability you as an apostle receive is random you can lose by simply not having an ability suited to that particular solution. That means that there is the possibility of having lost from the start and that makes me feel a bit iffy.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:18 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Since the ability you as an apostle receive is random you can lose by simply not having an ability suited to that particular solution. That means that there is the possibility of having lost from the start and that makes me feel a bit iffy.

That's offset a little bit by allowing humans to form teams. Presumably, a well prepared team would have a variety of ability types and is why our MCs are working to expand. But yah, the not explaining all the rules from the get go seems a bit uncool to say the least.

On the other hand, the prize is basically a magic wish, so it should be almost impossible. And the games are televised so that humanity in general can work out strategies and try different ideas over time. In that respect, a hard game would be like one of those video game scenarios that are almost impossible to clear without multiple hours of trial and error or consulting a strategy guide. Oh, so you can destroy that tree so that it falls on the electric fence, climb up the trunk, then hopscotch over those previously unreachable crates to get to the warehouse roof where there's an open skylight....

I'm a little more nonplussed about the character dynamics. The new team member with self-esteem issues seems pretty bland and mostly there as an excuse to trigger the goddess' cleavage obsession.

Edited out a redundancy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1